Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Gold and silver coins at New York City's Metropolitan Museum of Art

I visited The Met last week, and was surprised how many ancient coins they had on display. Thought I'd share some with you.

Comments

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow
    Octradrachms
    I've never seen one. A gold coin that size must be a handful.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd much prefer the 12 Caesar's bracelet coins to be freed from their confines. It is a shame to have such coins used in jewelry.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

I'd settle for a stater or an aureus.
    Slim pickins out there nowadays. :'(

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

I visited the Met years ago and never knew they had coins. I absolutely love that museum though.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did not know there were coins at Metropolitan... maybe the Guggenheim has some mid century designs from Poland, Israel and Germany among others

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2021 4:27PM

I have not been there in a long time, since 2006. There was )and maybe still is) a display right outside the cafeteria with 19th century British gold. It included a pattern Three Graces crown. Heritage has sold a few of the silver but I have never seen this coin anywhere else.

• Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

While some are part of the Met's collection as gift, most are instead a loan from the ANS. The coins are interspersed with the ancient galleries and are worth hunting for!

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.