Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Karl Goetz medal: The Treaty of September 1914

santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 8, 2021 11:19PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Here’s a World War I-era medal called “The Treaty of September 1914.” Britain, France and Russia agreed not to sign separate peace agreements with Germany. Lots of typical sarcasm from the German Goetz.

K-144

TREATY OF SEPTEMBER 1914
(Septembervertrag der Entente)

1914 Blackened Cast Iron satirical medal, 57.5mm, 72.60g, Frankenhuis 1413, Ex-Karlgoetz.com Collection

Obverse: "Treaty of September 1914." On document written by bear "We do not make a separate peace. Iswolsky, Delcassé, Grey."

Reverse: Russian bear, British bulldog and French coq in full physical combat. Inscription, "We know how to handle each other."

From KarlGoetzMedals.com

Comments

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the new purchase! I really like this WWI satirical in cast iron.

Is this your first Goetz medal or have you been on the Goetz journey a while already?

• Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WildIdea said:

Is this your first Goetz medal or have you been on the Goetz journey a while already?

That’s my fourth. I got interested after I bought a British propaganda version of the Sinking of the Lusitania.

Here are the others:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1039253/recent-acquisitions-a-trio-of-karl-goetz-medals

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

@santinidollar said:

@WildIdea said:

That’s my fourth. I got interested after I bought a British propaganda version of the Sinking of the Lusitania.

Here are the others:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1039253/recent-acquisitions-a-trio-of-karl-goetz-medals

Awesome, I remember seeing those. Excellent start.

I remember saying to myself once, since the series is so vast and knowing I’ll never complete it, I’ll just shoot for 10 of the neatest... well that ship sailed. The problem for me is they always look neater holding them in hand and when I get a new one it just makes me want to go for another. I feel adding a newp to the group makes the others level up in interest as new variety adds depth to my Goetz universe wing of my medal collection.

I can’t wait to see what you add next! Thanks for posting.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whatever was used to blacken the cast iron worked great. Nice pickup. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    Samuel8Samuel8 Posts: 378 ✭✭✭

I am just curious, is there Edgepunch "KGoetz" on this one?