Home Sports Talk

2020 NFL award winners

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 7, 2021 3:57AM in Sports Talk

Well, the awards were handed out for the 2020 NFL season, and here's how things played out.

1. 2020 Hall of Fame inductees - Peyton Manning, Charles Woodson, Calvin Johnson, Tom Flores, Drew Pearson, Alan Faneca, John Lynch, Bill Nunn

2. NFL MVP - Aaron Rodgers

3. Walter Payton Man of the Year - Russell Wilson

4. Offensive Player of the Year - Derrick Henry

5. Defensive Player of the Year - Aaron Donald

6. Offensive Rookie of the Year - Justin Herbert

7. Defensive Rookie of the Year - Chase Young

8. Art Rooney Sportsmanship Award - Teddy Bridgewater

9. Draftkings Daily Fantasy Player of the Year - Josh Allen

10. Comeback Player of the Year - Alex Smith

11. Coach of the Year - Kevin Stefanski

12. Assistant Coach of the Year - Brian Daboll (OC Buffalo Bills)

13. Clutch Performance Play of the Year - Kyler Murray to Deandre Hopkins (Hail Murray)

14. Deacon Jones Award - T.J. Watt

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 7, 2021 3:54AM

J.J. Watt is speaking out on Twitter, and he says his brother T.J. should have gotten the Defensive Player of the year award instead of Aaron Donald. He posted this graph to try and prove his point.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sean McDermitt has been passed up 3 years in a row. He took a perennial loser and lead them to the playoffs 3 out of 4 years. I call BS.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

Oh my goodness, Twitter certainly is in an uproar about T.J. Watt not getting the Defensive Player of the Year award. Twitter is feisty today!

This is cool video of Charles Woodson being surprised with the news that he's going into the Hall of Fame.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 7, 2021 9:39AM

I am happy for Drew Pearson.

Edit to add video https://youtu.be/y7ubYJulIIY

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Calvin Johnson made the HOF yesterday on his first try. He is 35 and hasn't played in years. Brady is 43 and still playing. Wrap your head around that

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    Sean McDermitt has been passed up 3 years in a row. He took a perennial loser and lead them to the playoffs 3 out of 4 years. I call BS.

I have always been under the assumption that these are regular season awards. Is this correct? If so, yes, I thought McDermitt deserved it. A lot of what I am seeing about Stefanski includes the Steelers playoff win.

T.J. Watt posted this on Twitter about the Defensive Player of the Year award.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

TJ got absolutely robbed.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

Calvin Johnson in my opinion did not play long enough to warrant him on the first ballot

edited February 7, 2021 11:28AM

@perkdog said:
    Calvin Johnson in my opinion did not play long enough to warrant him on the first ballot

Yes but he was the best during his run. He made the all decade team 2010-2019 and didn't even play the last 4 years of the decade.

One of the best nicknames ever and apply named. Megatron. Man I miss watching him

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@thisistheshow said:

@2dueces said:

I have always been under the assumption that these are regular season awards. Is this correct? If so, yes, I thought McDermitt deserved it. A lot of what I am seeing about Stefanski includes the Steelers playoff win.

It is regular season. The voting is completed before the playoffs.

At least Brian Dabol Bills OC won assistant of the year

Josh Allen won Fantasy Player of the year. I didn't even know there was such a thing

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Josh Allen received 4 MVP votes and placed 2nd. I predicted top 3 before the season.
    He’s the first Buffalo Bill to receive MVP votes since Thurman Thomas in 1991.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭✭

TJ had a great year and for sure he was explosive coming off the snap.
    Didn't see him get double teamed often.
    You can count on Donald getting double teamed.
    That is why his paper numbers seem higher than Donald.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 11,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think alex smith deservedly won that award as soon as he took his first snap this year

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭✭

Not one NFL commentator said otherwise to the above statement.
    I think he deserves Comeback player of the century.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets