Home Sports Talk

RIP Leon Spinks former heavyweight champion

coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only man to take the belt from Ali in the ring. RIP.

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I enjoyed watching him fight. RIP

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

without a doubt, this past 12-15 months seems to have been a tough stretch on pro-athletes. Leon Spinks was actually a much better amateur and was overmatched in the heavyweight division as a pro. I suspect if he would have fought in a lower class that his career would have been better, longer and more well-renowned.

RIP. B)

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

I remember watching that fight.

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:

@doubledragon said:

I remember watching that fight.

I watched it too live. I was only 7 yrs old but I still remember it well. I was sad Ali lost.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2021 5:41AM

Leon Spinks' brother Michael was also pretty good. Michael Spinks won the middleweight Gold medal in 1976, and Michael Spinks only lost one professional fight, to Mike Tyson, which isn't much of a blemish on his record, because back then, Tyson was practically indestructible. I remember when Michael Spinks beat Larry Holmes for the heavyweight title, and at the time Larry Holmes was 48-0, and was looking to tie Rocky Marciano at 49-0. Michael Spinks had a overhand right punch that was called "the spinks jinx", and if he caught you with it, you could be in trouble. I think a lot of people overlook Michael Spinks as well because of that loss to Tyson, but Michael Spinks was a brilliant fighter.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

The bios of the two brothers is very interesting. R.I.P.

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leon also had a few pro wrestling matches, including one in 1991 that was supposed to be a legit fight. He got double-crossed on the rules and walked out of the ring during the fight.