Home Q & A Forum

Hockey cards/photos value diminished if owner has a pet; specifically a cat?

I have card and photo collectibles; mostly of a hockey nature.

I'm considering selling some of the collection.

I'm also considering getting a cat.

On ebay, I've run across the expression “pet free home” much like “smoke free home” from sellers describing an item for sale.

Could the presence of a cat in my small studio apartment drive down the value of any cards I want to sell?

What precautions do collectors with pets take to protect their cards and photos?

I should mention that my most valuable cards are graded and slabbled.

Thanks and stay well.

Comments

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it is all about smell or allergies.

On occasion I have received an item that reaks of smoke but usually none of it is an issue.

Just make sure the cat does not chew or pee on the cards. :D

• Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I'm thinking of inserting my most valuable cards into my safety deposit box.

I've already wrapped my valuable cards individually in bubble packing; taped over with transparent packing tape.

I plan on then wrapping them in double garbage bags and placing them in luggage inside my walk in closet.

Inevitably some of my more "run of the mill" cards may have to be left more "exposed" due to space limitations.

I feel i could live with the loss of cards with virtually no resale value.

thanks again for your input and stay well

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

there is a cards forum here. you will probably get more a better replies asking there.

I'd worry about the smell. cat that are fixed smell a lot less and make far fewer kittens.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Thanks for the info.

I'll post my question there as well.