Home Autographs Forum
Options

Stars of the 30's

I bought this over 40 years ago. Just wondering if it has any value to be worth authenticating. The signatures are mostly cut from envelopes. I only recognize a couple.

Comments

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Johnny Mize in the upper left corner is a Hall of Famer. I also recognize the names Jim Turner, "Prince" Hal Schumacher, and "Dutch" Leonard. I can't answer your question - I do know that Mize and Turner were willing signers - I wrote to them a long time ago and got them to autograph index cards.

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

not worth the expense IMO

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont recognize most of the names but unless there is a rare signature then there is nothing to authenticate.

Looks like the remnants of someone's Thru The Mail autograph collecting from the 1980s or so. They probably got some signed cards (index or baseball) in those envelopes.

Funny that there is no Bobby Doerr autograph. He was easy to get TTM, was a HOFer, and was the last surviving player from the 1930s.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately, the presentation of the autographs on that piece is poor. Even if they were authenticated would they have much value? (I'm asking because I don't know.)

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

You're probably right. I have no idea. I've just had it for so long. I don't imagine there can be much of a market. The word "stars" is used loosely

• Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭

Here's the list of the names. Some of them didn't have MLB debuts until the 1940s.
    I have a lot of time on my hands these days :-)

FIRST COLUMN
    Johnny Mize
    Jim Turner
    Hal Schumacher
    Dan(ny) Reynolds
    Jack Knott
    Val Heim
    Jack Bruner
    Kirby Higbe
    Frank Whitman
    Sam Leslie
    Sam West

SECOND COLUMN
    Bill Moeller Jr
    John Dickshot
    Jimmy Brown
    Elden Auker
    Hal Trotsky (Sr)
    Stan Goletz
    Milt Gaston

THIRD COLUMN
    Hugh Mulcahy
    John Rigney
    Les Rock
    (Irving) Jack Burns
    Emil Dutch Leonard
    Karl Swanson
    Fred Fitzsimmons
    Tony Rensa
    Harry Dorish
    John Kerr
    Harland Clift

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice work @MooseDog ! Hopefully the OP checks back in to see it, but it's been 3+ weeks since they last logged in here

• Options

Thanks, @MooseDog. That was a lot of work!