Home Sports Talk
Options

Stafford to the Rams

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow

M

Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• Options

Detroit is dealing QB Matthew Stafford to the Los Angeles Rams in exchange for two future first-round picks, a third-round pick and QB Jared Goff, per sources. Two former No. 1 overall picks trading places in the first blockbuster NFL trade of 2021.

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stafford getting a Cali house, good for him, Malibu Matt.

• Options
    edited January 30, 2021 8:36PM

Lions got Goff, a 2022 and 2023 1st round pick and a 2021 3rd round pick.

Maybe they move Goff and his contract to the WFT, Colts or Panthers?

m

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a steal for the lions. Time will tell.

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

m

IMO, that sounds like a ton to give for Stafford who has only a few years left (seemingly). Let's see how good he really is now. Without question, Stafford has the tools. However, can he now live up to such increased expectations? For him, I hope so. Afterall, he had to take a decade of absolute beatings up in Detroit.

• Options

@bobbybakeriv said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

IMO, that sounds like a ton to give for Stafford who has only a few years left (seemingly). Let's see how good he really is now. Without question, Stafford has the tools. However, can he now live up to such increased expectations? For him, I hope so. Afterall, he had to take a decade of absolute beatings up in Detroit.

First time he's ever had a team with a D remotely resembling the Rams and a OC committed to running the ball. It will be interesting

m

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2021 10:01PM

Also, I wouldn't mind the WFT name as much if they had selected the Washington Team for Football instead. :#

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good for Stafford!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good God!!! two firsts and one third plus Goff and all the Rams get is Stafford. this may be the single trade that finally allows the Lions to become relevant for the first time in almost 30 years, since the Barry Sanders days. JMHO, but I think Goff has played most of 2020 hurt and I've always thought Stafford was a winey baby. this is the kind of trade that puts a GM's job on the line.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting indeed. It's going to be weird seeing Goff in a Lions uniform and Stafford in a Rams uniform.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

2 first round picks for is huge

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not equating this to the Herschel Walker or Ricky Williams fiascos, but one would think that GM's would learn by now that giving up multiple high draft picks like this generally isn't a winning formula.

• Options

@stevek said:
    I'm not equating this to the Herschel Walker or Ricky Williams fiascos, but one would think that GM's would learn by now that giving up multiple high draft picks like this generally isn't a winning formula.

The Rams must believe that an upgrade at QB is all they need to get back to the Super Bowl. The Lions are eating Goffs huge money but the 2 first rounders could be huge providing they don’t do Lions things and miss on them.

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2021 9:06AM

@stevek said:

Wasting first round draft picks is mere child's play for Snead. Since Goff he has given up seven years of first round picks. Snead tops it off by handing out blockbuster contracts (Goff, Gurley, Ogeltree, Tavon Austin) before he needs to, and then has to eat them.

I'm hoping this is the first step in now trading for Deshaun.

Hope springs eternal.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

The Rams must believe that an upgrade at QB is all they need to get back to the Super Bowl. The Lions are eating Goffs huge money but the 2 first rounders could be huge providing they don’t do Lions things and miss on them.

You're right, and of course if the Rams do well, those traded first round picks will be low first round picks.

I still think overall, it's a better, perhaps much better deal for the Lions. Of course as you say if the Lions don't mess it up.

I would think though with all these draft picks, even using a dart board, the Lions have to come up with some winners?

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not saying the Lions will blow some 1st round picks...but the Lions will blow some 1st round picks.

• Options

@DrBuster said:
    I'm not saying the Lions will blow some 1st round picks...but the Lions will blow some 1st round picks.

I wonder which punter they will choose? ;)

• Options

@hammer1 said:

@stevek said:

Wasting first round draft picks is mere child's play for Snead. Rams have no firsts for the next seven years. Snead tops it off by handing out blockbuster contracts (Goff, Gurley, Ogeltree, Tavon Austin) before he needs to, and then has to eat them.

I'm hoping this is the first step in now trading for Deshaun.

Hope springs eternal.

It just blows my mind that Tavon Austin is still in the NFL. Everything you posted here was irrelevant as soon as I saw Austin’s name typed out lol

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

that is a lot of draft capital to give up for Stafford. it really makes me wonder how much watson is worth now. it sure seems he would be worth more. I think Houstons price just went up for him.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    edited January 31, 2021 9:10AM

@craig44 said:
    that is a lot of draft capital to give up for Stafford. it really makes me wonder how much watson is worth now. it sure seems he would be worth more. I think Houstons price just went up for him.

imo you can equate one of the firsts for Detroit eating Goff's horrendous $133M contract.

So really Stafford's worth is one first and a third..

• Options

A preview of Goff and Snead.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2021 4:09PM

This is the rumor I've been hearing since last Tuesday. I've been assured that Stafford is just what the doctor ordered. I'm not convinced. If the Rams don't do something to bolster their pathetic offensive line, then Stafford will be in the same predicament as Goff, i.e., ....take snap take two steps back and then get mobbed by the defense. The Rams problem of late is that their offensive line is HORRID!

• Options
    edited January 31, 2021 5:11PM

The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant is ecstatic. Her wish has been granted.
    She just told me that the phone started ringing off the hook at 4 a.m. this morning with the news. Calls from all over the country. She must know people she's not telling me about. Anyway at least I won't have to listen to the constant Jared Goff gripe anymore......unless of course the Lions beat the Rams next season at the So-fi stadium. I do hope by then I will be allowed to sit in the seat that I'm paying for. What a joke.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. Somebody got totally hosed, and it wasn't Detroit.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a strong deal for Detroit.

Daniel
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2021 4:54PM

@Dave99B said:
    Wow. Somebody got totally hosed, and it wasn't Detroit.

Dave

I think you're right. It looks like the Lion's 63 year old rebuilding project that began with Alex Karras is finally starting to pick up steam. 🚂🏈🏈🏭

• Options

If the Rams win the Super Bowl in the next two years it will have been a good trade for LA. Anything short of that not so much

m

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh my goodness, Jared Goff has issued a statement about the trade to the Lions. He says, "I'm excited to be on a team that wants me and appreciates me."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/31/jared-goff-im-excited-to-be-on-a-team-that-wants-me-and-appreciates-me/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

• Options
    edited January 31, 2021 6:25PM

@keets said:
    Good God!!! two firsts and one third plus Goff and all the Rams get is Stafford. this may be the single trade that finally allows the Lions to become relevant for the first time in almost 30 years, since the Barry Sanders days. JMHO, but I think Goff has played most of 2020 hurt and I've always thought Stafford was a winey baby.

100% emphatically disagree. The guy played with a broken back. The guy played all 16 games this year and most of it injured. He didn't miss a game from 2011 through the first half of 2019. His wife complains A LOT but I've never heard Matt Stafford whine. No one tougher in the NFL.

Mosh Lions fans are happy for him getting out of a crap organization and to a team with a chance. A lot of Lions fans will be Rams fans this year.

mark

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@keets said:
    Good God!!! two firsts and one third plus Goff and all the Rams get is Stafford. this may be the single trade that finally allows the Lions to become relevant for the first time in almost 30 years, since the Barry Sanders days. JMHO, but I think Goff has played most of 2020 hurt and I've always thought Stafford was a winey baby.

100% emphatically disagree. The guy played with a broken back. The guy played all 16 games this year and most of it injured. He didn't miss a game from 2011 through the first half of 2019. His wife complains A LOT but I've never heard Matt Stafford whine. No one tougher in the NFL.

Mosh Lions fans are happy for him getting out of a crap organization and to a team with a chance. A lot of Lions fans will be Rams fans this year.

mark

As a Vikings fan, I have the utmost respect for Stafford. He always gave 100%. I wish him luck!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set