Home Q & A Forum

Silver Looking Penny ??

I have a 1985 penny that looks like silver, no copper color at all. Obverse and reverse and even the edge shines bright and looks like it's made of silver. Can anyone help tell me what I might have? Very good shape also. Thanks for looking.

Comments

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2021 4:07PM

Sorry, but we can't tell anything without pictures. However there is a strong likelihood that it's either been plated after it left the mint, or the plating was removed. Neither are errors

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • I will post a picture, wasn't sure it would come out in a picture. Thanks

• Here is a picture hope it helps. I got this in change at the store. Could it have left the mint this way? At least it is something different. Thanks for the info.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is such a thing as an unplated planchet. I am not sure from your pictures if that is what you have.

Do not touch the coin excessively and only by the edges. If it is unplated then the expoised zinc would react to skin oils and rot away in no time.

Best to show a picture of the back as well.

• Thank you for the info. I will get a picture of the back and post. The pictures do not show how bright and shinny the coin is.

• Here is the reverse side. Thanks for looking.

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks as if it may have been cleaned, that can change the look or color of a coin.
    Heat can also change the color if a coin, this photo is of a heated coin.
    Your next step would be to check the weight of the coin.