Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

bizarre Italy coin

Has anyone ever seen something like this. km27 italy 1893 10 centesimi. struck backwards. The back is barely visible

A world without coins "Chaos"

Comments

• Options
    rmuniakrmuniak Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

Sorry this is reverse

• Options
    realeswatcherrealeswatcher Posts: 363 ✭✭✭

Looks to be a legitimate brockage error... which is observed on Italian pieces of this era.

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?term=centesimi+(brockage+incuse)&category=1-2&en=1&de=1&fr=1&it=1&es=1&ot=1&images=1&thesaurus=1&order=3&currency=usd&company=

I say "looks to be" because the other side (which should show that design - but correctly struck) is so worn that it shows ZERO detail that I can see... so a "press job" can't be definitively ruled out.

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

For a coin to be "struck backwards", it has to be struck by another coin, rather than by the die. This can happen in two ways:

• It can happen in the mint, when a coin gets stuck in the coinage press rather than ejected as normal. The first coin then "becomes the die" for the second, and the second coin receives a mirror-image impression. This is a mint error, called a "brockage".
    • It can happen in the backyard shed, by squeezing a coin into a blank flat piece of metal. This is most usually done to create a circulating coujnterfeit coin, which looks real enough at first glance until you look closely and see it's actually mirror-reversed. They were not intended to conuse coin collectors. These counterfeits are called "slugs".

Your coin is of the second type. The off-centre strike, in conjunction with the complete lack of detail on the other side, indicate this was not done at the mint but is rather a private counterfeit.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    rmuniakrmuniak Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

Thanks guys I knew you would come to a logical explanation. So I will add it to my curiosity coins.

• Options

Looks like a vice job to me.

Evan Saltis in the real world.
    University of Maine
    Politics, food, numismatics, and Lithuanian/Slav genealogy.
    Feel free to contact me at any time!