Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

Anyone know where I can buy a 1795 Flowing Hair Dollar?

MKUltra24MKUltra24 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 30, 2021 2:24PM in Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins

Hey everyone,

I’m working on my US Dollar type set and now that I’ve already got the 1799 Draped Bust Dollar I’ve been looking for a 1795 Flowing Hair Dollar.

The reason I want a 1795 FHD is because the 1794 one is just way too expensive for my budget.

I do not need a high grade one and would prefer to buy a lower grade F-15 or VF-20 if possible.

There is no way I could afford an XF or AU one.

Does anyone know any coin dealers looking to sell a low grade 1795 Flowing Hair Dollar?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone on here had one a little while ago...high VF I think...@alohagary ?

• Options
    edited January 30, 2021 2:53PM

@jclovescoins said:

Oh really? Do you happen to remember what price he was asking for it?

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

But it doesn’t look very reputable or trustworthy so it seems risky.

I mean $75 for a 1794 FHD? The 1794s are the expensive ones too. They have a much lower mintage than the 1795s.

• Options
    VicPortlandVicPortland Posts: 283 ✭✭✭

David Lawrence rare coins has an NGC VF35 on auction (ends in 8 days)

• Options
    CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

try collectorscorner.com

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heritage, Stack's, DLRC, etc.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slow down. Study. Look at the Heritage and Stacks archives. Study CoinFacts. Learn about CAC. You’re not at the Kentucky Derby. You have plenty of time to buy the right coin. It’s not a race.

• Options
    edited January 31, 2021 11:48AM

@TomB said:
    You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink...

Well certainly not if you lead a horse to poisoned water.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

@willy said:
    Just bought one this week. Finding one that has not been Cleaned or messed with is hard. I probably over paid for this one but it comes with a 85% buy back at any time with a moments notice and I think my Heirs will not get hurt when they sell. I can live with a small lose on my coins I am just trying to avoid 50% losses like I had in the early 2000 on my collection as it was Raw and some lower tier slabs. Thought I was getting some great deals until I was forced to sell out. I am trying to limited future losses if possible. Cheaper is not always better I found out the hard way take your time.![]

:)
    as many of us have learned, if you don't JUMP ON IT the second Gerry posts it, you will lose out. Congrats, that looks like a nice one.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

It took me a couple of years to find the right Flowing Hair Dollar for my collection. Do not be in a hurry.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MKUltra24 said:

@jclovescoins said:

Oh really? Do you happen to remember what price he was asking for it?

I believe they were asking $6999 for a PCGS graded VF35.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭✭

sorry I sold it to a dealer

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

@willy said:
    Just bought one this week. Finding one that has not been Cleaned or messed with is hard. I probably over paid for this one but it comes with a 85% buy back at any time with a moments notice and I think my Heirs will not get hurt when they sell. I can live with a small lose on my coins I am just trying to avoid 50% losses like I had in the early 2000 on my collection as it was Raw and some lower tier slabs. Thought I was getting some great deals until I was forced to sell out. I am trying to limited future losses if possible. Cheaper is not always better I found out the hard way take your time.

Gerry Fortin. He posted a nice run of early Dollars. They sold out in about 12 seconds.

• Options

Here is some archive sale history to help you with potential pricing:
    https://seateddimevarieties.com/SalesArchive.html
    (Gerry Fortin)

• Options
    numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭

Vf 30 too high of a grade?

Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

@numbersman said:
    Vf 30 too high of a grade?

What is your price?

• Options
    alexercaalexerca Posts: 247 ✭✭✭

Always loved this coin! Might get a wild hair one of these days and buy one! The ones I really like cost as much as a new car!

• Options

@TomB said:

@MKUltra24 said:

@TomB said:
    You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink...

Well certainly not if you lead a horse to poisoned water.

Think of it this way...you are currently asking a bunch of essentially strangers who and where you should buy this coin, so how is that any better than looking at the PCGS owned and run Collectors.com website? That website will list nearly every coin for sale and you can zero in on what interests you and then find out if you want to deal with that particular seller. It is far more efficient and in-depth than asking on a BST thread where you may have a few dozen folks read the post. It's not poisoned water, you simply need to put in some effort and do some homework.

I didn’t know there was a site for that.