Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

2021 JNDA catalog--the 'extra' section covers patterns. And what did the USPS do here?!??

For those of you have an interest in Japanese coinage, the JNDA is a nice purchase. On the surface it seems silly to buy every year as nothing but the cover seems to change much. That is deceptive however.

Tucked behind the standard sections that are rarely changed, there is found a little 'extra'. Sometimes a little more depth on varieties of 1 yen or 50 sen. Another time a bit more on the chogin/gin coins. This year (and paging @pruebas) is something more extensive regarding patterns. So if this is of interest to you, it may be worth picking up this year.

The cover this year is meh...Only Olympic comemms. I'm sure the mascot is kawaii in real life, but the coins, oh well.

And, oddly enough, I buy from the same guy pretty much every year (Herb Cook, aka Arrowtokyo on e-bay). He really doesn't charge much above the price of the catalog plus shipping. This year I guess either the USPS (or possibly the Japan Post) took notice of the 'printed material' and decided to confirm. Fortunately there was a bit of cardboard involved so the books (I ordered 2) were not damaged. I've never seen this before!

Comments

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did they not protect that cut they made?

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking for smuggled drugs, or other things, no doubt.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, funny, I sent an email to the seller and it turns out HE SHIPPED IT THAT WAY. Apparently the Japan Post's parcel service requires it. Who knew! Well, I do now.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

One would sort of think that if the opening is required that it could at least be covered with clear plastic to protect the printed contents from the elements or anything else. Just a thought... carry on...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.