Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Wax Box or Cello Box?

I've reached out to a couple of board members on this, but I wanted to open it up to see your opinions. I was in the market for 1 82 Topps baseball unopened box. I was torn between wax and Cello. Both BBCE wrapped. I chose the Cello. What say you? and Why? Thanks.

PackManInNC

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2021 1:13PM

Cello, no wax to ruin the cards.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

I think it's really just a preference. IMO, everything else being equal, if I was going to invest, I would go with wax only because I feel it is more traditional way that cards came in than cellos.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

i like wax since the outer box isnt as generic to look at.

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

Unless it's confirmed from a sealed case, WAX!!! No doubt about it.

Cellos and racks are super easy to cherry pick for those who knew/know the sequences.

• Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

Even if BBCE wrapped?

PackManInNC
  • Options
    Webb63Webb63 Posts: 131 ✭✭✭

I agree with Walton's Beard...I was about to type the same answer. I also believe the FASC premium for CELLO (and racks) is and should be MUCH greater than the premium on FASC WAX. I always assume the CELLO and Racks have been cherry picked...for sequencing and Stars on top.

• Options

@mexpo75 said:
    Even if BBCE wrapped?

BBCE wrapped confirms the packs have not been open and resealed...........

• Options

Now I'm starting to get buyers remorse. Did I make a big mistake?

PackManInNC
  • Options

@mexpo75 said:

The way things are going right now, you shouldn't have a problem selling it and at least getting your money back.

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

As long as it’s BBCE it’s really a preference. Ideally it’s FASC.

All things being equal, I choose wax.

• Options

It's BBCE but not FASC

PackManInNC
  • Options

It could be a Frankenstein box but you know the packs are good. It is a great box and Steve said it’s good. Enjoy it. Probably gonna keep rising over time as does Ripken.

• Options

Excuse my ignorance, what is a Frankenstein box?

PackManInNC
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2021 3:46PM

Sorry.

A box that has been “made” with packs from different boxes. A guy could rummage through the cellos and remove packs with stars on front and back. This is more common when card sequencing is known. I can’t imagine anyone is doing with with 82 cello boxes.

Steve can attest the packs themselves are good but he isn’t validating the packs are all original to that specific box - UNLESS it is marked From A Sealed Case. FASC = Steve opens case, Steve wraps boxes. No one messes with the boxes.

Sorry as I didn’t mean to get you worried. I am 99% sure you 82 cello box is not searched.

• Options

Thanks!!

PackManInNC
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

wax. Cellos can be looked through knowing the sequence alone.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

cello

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are buying it to keep it sealed for future resale, wax. If you are breaking it, I say cello. The cello wrap is loose on '82s which don't damage the cards like 70s cellos. And you get it for a lower cost per card than wax.

• Options

If it's a frankenbox, all bets are off. Same goes for wax though.

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2021 3:22AM

I prefer rack packs because the cards tend to be the least damaged. I generally buy wax packs because they also seem to avoid damage. Cello packs seem to always be wrapped tight around the corners and take some damage because of that.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cello boxes are a bit tougher to find and carry a bit of a premium over wax, rack even more so. I prefer racks also.

There are two variations of 82 cellos, one tightly wrapped like 70s cellos, the other loosely wrapped and a great source for higher grade cards.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:
    Cello boxes are a bit tougher to find and carry a bit of a premium over wax, rack even more so. I prefer racks also.

There are two variations of 82 cellos, one tightly wrapped like 70s cellos, the other loosely wrapped and a great source for higher grade cards.

I did not know they had two variants including tightly wrapped cellos. Thanks for adding to my knowledge base Tim!

• Options

Is there a way to tell which variation the box is? Without opening it.

PackManInNC
  • Options

@mexpo75 said:
    Is there a way to tell which variation the box is? Without opening it.

No

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    DuldejDuldej Posts: 15 ✭✭

I've noticed the price/card on BBCExchange is better on the cello boxes than the wax, if you were going to rip them yourself.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2021 7:23AM

@mexpo75 said:

No, '82 Topps is anchored by the Ripken and Lee Smith Rookies. That right there makes a '82 Topps BBCE cello box filled with legit packs desirable regardless if it's been searched for stars showing.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

Thanks for making me feel better about my choice. In everyone's opinion, is a rack pack box the best of the three? (wax, cello, rack)

PackManInNC
  • Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wax or Cello???
    This is just me; but I would prefer Cello over Wax.
    Me being me would rather go with Rack in a hart/heart beat.
    It would be cool if Panini would have Rack Packs w/ Stars showing, that would be so cool!

• Options
    nendeenendee Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

For the 82 cello - would a box have both loose and tight wrapped variant? Or is it one or the other?

Cubs and Purdue Fan - Ouch!

My collecting blog: http://ctcard.wordpress.com
  • Options

Tim is the expert on this question of loose and tight wrap one or the other.

PackManInNC
  • Options

@nendee said:
    For the 82 cello - would a box have both loose and tight wrapped variant? Or is it one or the other?

All packs should be wrapped same within the box.