Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Vintage: What do you consider low, mid, high grade?

In vintage cards my take on this was: PSA 1-4 (low), PSA 5-7 (mid) and PSA 8-9 (high). I've been noticing quite an up tick in the lower tier of 50's and 60's product for star cards such as Williams, Musial, Mantle, Mays, Aaron, Clemente, etc.... I know the market is insane, but cards I would have never considered grading before are bringing some decent coin. What's your thoughts and would you grade these kind to get a PSA 3-4?

Comments

• Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would. I think it's directly related to the prices of the high end cards exploding. So, it makes it difficult, almost impossible for a guy with a normal salary to afford PSA 8-10 examples of some of those cards. So, he starts buying lower end ones driving those prices up. As those prices go up the scammers enter the market and start "aging" or "weathering" reprint cards to look real. Easier to get away with it when someone doesn't know what they are buying and is buying a couple hundred dollar card. When they are buying a 20,000+ card I promise they are doing a lot of homework. So, it all makes sense to drive people to grade lower end cards of iconic players. That helps to prove the authenticity and give buyers piece of mind. JMO.

Jeff

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2021 11:44AM

i don't. i just consider its place w/i the grade. high end 3, avg 2 or low end 6, etc. many times i'd rather have the high end 3 than the low end 6.

one of my favorite lines in the hobby is "how in the hell is this a 3?"!