Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PWCC record prices tonight (Thursday night)...

mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 28, 2021 11:03PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

New record prices for some cards tonight:

(2) 1954 Hank Aaron RCs psa-7------>$30000+ each (the new psa-8s)
1955 Koufax RC psa-7------> $7100+
1957 Mantle psa-8------->$13900+
1959 Gibson RC psa-7 (PWCC-E)------->$3300+
1960 Aaron psa-7 (PWCC-A)------>$3100+
1964 Rose psa-8------->$2800+
1982 Topps Traded Ripken psa-10 (PWCC-A)------->$11100+ !!!!!!

I bid on the psa-10 (PWCC-A) Ripken at $6600+...but was easily overbid. So...I quickly went to their vault and purchased this 1982
Topps Traded PSA-9 (PWCC-E) for $1995...which I had been looking at closely.

Here is the PSA-10 (PWCC-A):

Just blown away by the price on Ripken PSA-10.

mint_only_pls

Comments

• Options
    dtsagent9dtsagent9 Posts: 69 ✭✭✭

Wow that is a crazy price for the Ripken. I was going to upgrade my 9 but not now I guess.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry, but these prices are completely insane!

Three years ago, I bought a PSA 9 1982 Topps Traded Ripken for $143 from PWCC.

There is absolutely no way to justify an almost 1,400% increase in that card's value in only three years!

Steve

• Options
    dtsagent9dtsagent9 Posts: 69 ✭✭✭

I paid $195 for my PSA 9 in Dec 2019. I think the PSA 10 was selling for around $1,200.

• Options
    edited January 28, 2021 9:57PM

Investors (not collectors) are driving the steep price increases in sports cards...and it doesn't hurt that the 1986 Fleer Jordan psa-10...and all grades of Jordan RCs for the matter.... are selling at record prices. Riding the Jordan tailcoat so to speak...jump in where you can and hold on for the ride!

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    Investors (not collectors) are driving the steep price increases in sports cards...and it doesn't hurt that the 1986 Fleer Jordan psa-10...and all grades of Jordan RCs for the matter.... are selling at record prices. Riding the Jordan tailcoat so to speak...jump in where you can and hold on for the ride!

>
    >
    >

Monte your more in tune with what's going on lately- do you believe prices are "real", or being manipulated ?? New norms being established ,or is this more "insider" produced by certain- um--known buying "groups" ??

I tend to sit on stuff for years and not move. Part of me is thinking market manipulation and part thinks maybe there really are this many idiots. For example- half a dozen of the below currently sit in my safety deposit all purchased during the Deflategate debacle, when I purchased at $300 apiece ( all in old pre2007 labels that need newer QR code ones)

Well aware they've been selling over 10k now for years- but is it sustainable ??
    Just one example-- I want someones opinion I trust who buys regularly at this level.
    >
    >
    >

• Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2021 10:23PM

The past nine months have been insane, and I don’t share the excitement of what is transpiring.

At the very best case scenario, there has been a great influx of money from non-traditional hobby participants and that is that.

At worst, largely unregulated markets that incentivize duplicitous behaviour for private auction houses and eBay power sellers have made for quite the windfall for a certain crowd.

Regardless, i will try to make rational decisions about buying and participating in this irrational time.

-Nathanael

• Options
    edited January 28, 2021 10:41PM

Jeff...

I do believe that the prices have been rising due to increased interest in sportscards as a legitimate investment option to diversify your investment portfolio. Of course...sportscards will rise and fall just like stocks...but the trend will be up for high end, good eye appeal cards of sports legends and HOFs. I try to buy the best baseball cards within my budget. That is my take or IMO. To me...I view them as pieces of art. I like the vintage cards (baseball interest only) from the 1950s-mid 1980s. My advice collect and enjoy what you like and price appreciation is just an added benefit to this hobby.

I am in it mainly as a collector...but I have to admit that investment diversification is driving me too.

Brady has solidified himself as the GOAT and his cards will only go up with time. Great buys!!!! To switch teams and take a non-winner like Tampa Bay Buccaneers to the Super Bowl in his first year there is a testimony to how good Brady is!

Monte

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2021 10:50PM

those are great and all but jack nicklaus cards are on fire and 100% legitimate and not even thru pwcc.

his 73 panini 10 just went for $35K. not his rookie, but definitely a tough card.

glad to see the bear getting the respect he is due.

• Options

Blurryface...

My Dad was a great fan of Jack Nicklaus. I was able to see that Ohio State has a Jack Nicklaus museum on campus when I have been going up to OSU to the James Center for cancer screening tests following kidney cancer surgery in 2017...incidental finding in stage 1 (lucky me).

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the art world many artists can’t sell their paintings at all. Then one day a few purchases are made and people with money take notice and begin to enjoy his work. After his death his production is complete and people look for his nicest work in the best condition possible. His paintings sell for millions.

His pictures went from no value to millions just by people taking notice of the value in his art.

Cardboard art is our passion, and millions are heavily collecting the rare pieces.

Mantle cards once sold for twenty five cents.

These rise in prices are perfectly consistent with rare art over the years. Sure there can be some manipulation, but in the end the desirable collectibles will be safer than gold over the course of time.

Need I mention Wagner ?

• Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

Based on the recent prices of the traded Ripken, would it seem to make sense that unopened traded sets would also go up?

PackManInNC
  • Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unopened on all of the associated items that have caught fire recently are destined to go up. I have kept an eye on the 1993 Topps Series One boxes and they are starting to surge. It wasn't long ago that they sold in the $125-150 range and it is now $300+ box.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

are psa 9 ripkens really going for 2k?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    are psa 9 ripkens really going for 2k?

No, there are several on eBay now under $1000.

• Options
    sjjs28sjjs28 Posts: 445 ✭✭✭✭

My eye opener was the 1968 Topps Mickey Mantle PSA 9.
    That was a $3500 - $4000 card 3-4 months ago...
    Last two sales -$14.3K (last night) and $16.1 (Mid-January) - (Both PWCC). Not sure EBAY would have seen similar realized prices.

Steve Saldutti
    sjjs28@comcast.net
    Collector of 1964 Topps Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game and 1969 Topps Decals
    Registered Sets: 1964 Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game, 1969 Topps Decals
  • Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

PWCC was explosive last night.
    Here's a couple cards I follow:
    '82T Ripken $2601
    '84D Mattingly $3777
    '87Leaf Maddux $1650
    '89 UD Griffey $3950
    '94 SP Arod PSA 9: $1499 & $1656

• Options
    edited January 29, 2021 8:21AM

I wish I would have bought this card. It sold a few days ago at $3600 (PWCC-PQ). When it sold on PWCC...it went for ~$2100 in 2018. Seller had it for awhile...gradually upping the price over the years. I had my eye on it!

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nobody is collecting baseball cards any longer, they're too expensive. ;)

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    Nobody is collecting baseball cards any longer, they're too expensive. ;)

LOL, Thanks Yogi

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

I guess the demise of PWCC was a bit premature.

PackManInNC
  • Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the posters that feel market manipulation is behind a large part of the increase. This will not end well for a lot of people. I know that opinion hasn’t aged well, and the best stuff will always appreciate with time, but people are being played and when the music stops it will be nasty.

And please don’t come back with 74 topps wax boxes are any other rare/coveted items. I am with you on those. In order to truly manipulate the pricing on a card, and make real bank, it has to be widely available.

• Options

@80sOPC said:
    . In order to truly manipulate the pricing on a card, and make real bank, it has to be widely available.

not really. i guarantee you the next '52 mantle 9 wont be going for $3mill or less. not saying the $5.2 sale wasn't real. just saying that is the perceived floor now and 52 9s aren't readily available.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO this is a combination of extra disposable cash due to CoVid and people being home and not traveling, stimulus checks, expenses down, boredom... It is also being done by new money in the market from sneakerheads not able to get product like before and moving funds to cards, gamblers are putting money they would normally spend into cards(quasi gambling), and some see this as another part of their investment portfolio and allocate 10-20% into collectibles versus stocks and bonds.

The other part is there is manipulation going on within the card market by people who have the ability to do so. If someone or small group wants to drive a card up they can. Hypothetically We could buy up every Willie Mays and Koufax rookie for 6-12 months or we could do it with Griffey rookies. We grab a large amount quietly and sit on them. Then once we have enough we strategically buy from one another on eBay or give them to an AH and drive the price up by 50-100%. Griffey at $100 in a PSA 9 could be driven to $250 in a few weeks by the group. Once people see the card jumping in price they get caught up in it thinking they are going to miss out and start bidding at $250 and up as well. Once the floor is set the group starts listing them for real and sees a huge increase. No regulation, nobody to stop them, and easy money.

Look at GameStop and Nokia... this week and what a small group did with Reddit and Robinhood to drive prices from $100 to $350 in a few days. Sound familiar. Same huge increases where items that sold for $20-40-100 are now at $300. They have been sitting there for months and years at low prices and now everyone wants them? Sounds just like a lot of cards out there. Combine that with new huge money in the market and it is a sellers market.

• Options

So back to my comment, does the prices on the Ripken traded translate to 82 Traded sets going up also?

PackManInNC
  • Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

It probably will, but it shouldn’t. What’s the best one can hope from those flimsy boxes? I say an 8 on a really lucky day.

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

I mentioned in my post that the besr stuff and the growth in it is legit. That card is too rare to be easily manipulated.

@blurryface said:

@80sOPC said:
    . In order to truly manipulate the pricing on a card, and make real bank, it has to be widely available.

not really. i guarantee you the next '52 mantle 9 wont be going for $3mill or less. not saying the $5.2 sale wasn't real. just saying that is the perceived floor now and 52 9s aren't readily available.

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 868 ✭✭✭✭✭

i saw that last night on pwcc the 87 leaf maddux psa 10 and that price blew me away.

• Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

'94 arods surprised me the most.
    A couple more sold immediately after the auctions for more than $1000
    He has a beautiful rc but the hobby hasn't given its endorsement

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 868 ✭✭✭✭✭

@emar said:
    '94 arods surprised me the most.
    A couple more sold immediately after the auctions for more than $1000
    He has a beautiful rc but the hobby hasn't given its endorsement

to bad arod will never make the hall of fame. it is a really nice card. here is my arod. i paid 100 for the card four years ago and thought i was crazy to spend the money for the card at the time.

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

it amazes me that a card like the 82 Ripken can hit 10k with a huge pop but a card like a 53 mantle auto that can never increase in pop goes for half the amount.

• Options
    edited January 29, 2021 9:47PM

@80sOPC said:
    I mentioned in my post that the besr stuff and the growth in it is legit. That card is too rare to be easily manipulated.

@blurryface said:

@80sOPC said:

so you're saying i cant buy another 9 and have a "private sale" heavily advertised for $7mil. then sell the 9 that i'm sitting on for $7.9 in a few months? (oh yea, the "private but heavily advertised sale" never happened.). that's a $2.7 mil profit in mere months just from the $5.2nill mark. the real profit is much more substantial bc the previous sale was $2.8mil.

IF you don't think it's happened on high end, rarer cards, you're crazy. I'd even go further and say it's a hellavu lot easier to do it w rarer cards because you can do it overnight then buy every 82 ripken in existence w the proceeds if you wanted.

and the 2016 psa 8+'s clementes, roses and koufaxs say "we agree".

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2021 12:09AM

@addicted2ebay said:
    it amazes me that a card like the 82 Ripken can hit 10k with a huge pop but a card like a 53 mantle auto that can never increase in pop goes for half the amount.

I totally agree; the signed Mantle in virtually all conditions should outsell a high pop condition rarity such as the one mentioned. Though perhaps when we consider the latter is being manipulated, it may not be an apples to apples comparison.

I can say the better looking examples of the signed 53 Mantle will exceed 10k, which makes me feel like there is some balance in the universe lol. I had to pay exactly $10,000 to get a 53 Mick auto I really wanted a little ways back before the recent price spike, so with signed vintage it also depends a bit on the eye appeal of the individual card— eye appeal there can affect price even moreso than with unsigned. Which is one of the kinda cool aspects of signed vintage which I have grown to dig.

Also blurry makes a great point about how a highly touted private sale can be another of the myriad ways games can be played with price. I always try to confirm a rumored private sale I am interested in when I do not personally know one or both parties. Sometimes luckily a trusted friend does. Otherwise it is hard to put too much stock into it because of how blurry said it can be so easily exaggerated for obvious gain.

With respect to the much publicized PSA 9 Mantle sale, whether that card went for 3.2 or 5.2, I think it just underscored for many that the 9s are indeed as functionally out of reach as the 10s, and that awareness may charge up the 8s and it ripples downward from there. Sometimes press and popularity alone can cause renewed spotlight or interest and price rises from that.

Lastly, further to what blurry said about what can be done with rarer items, I’m reminded of the extreme price surges that certain Ruth cards underwent due to initial rumored private sales (Frederick Foto for example, only 5 or maybe 6 on earth, some others, too). But as with so many cards in various sectors of the hobby, when perception becomes reality and the price “takes,” it’s kinda game over.

Instagram: mattyc_collection