Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

How did I end up here?

Well it has been a strange trip. Started back a few years ago as a type collector along the lines of the 7070. Lost interest when the remaining coins were few and far between and more and more costly. Slowly sold them all except kept 1 for memories.

Got interested in old gold and started a type set (generic dates near melt) and dabbled in CWT’s. The CWT’s I like are seeing a price spike, and the old gold I need are either varieties; the expensive capped and draped gold (which isn’t generic); or examples from the southern mints.

So, I took a detour and I started looking at world gold from countries I either visited or are part of the family heritage.

After a win in an auction tonight, I am now the owner of two small gold foreign pieces. While I don’t expect this to be my primary focus, I do expect to pick up a few pieces a year.

So here is the start of my foreign gold collection(sellers pics):

I look forward to seeing interesting pieces and starting to learn about more world coins.

Comments

• Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

World gold can offer tons of variety, often at a smaller premium beyond melt than you might expect for certain issues. Enjoy!

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the Chilean coin!

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SimpleCollector said:
    Well it has been a strange trip. Started back a few years ago as a type collector along the lines of the 7070. Lost interest when the remaining coins were few and far between and more and more costly. Slowly sold them all except kept 1 for memories.

Got interested in old gold and started a type set (generic dates near melt) and dabbled in CWT’s. The CWT’s I like are seeing a price spike, and the old gold I need are either varieties; the expensive capped and draped gold (which isn’t generic); or examples from the southern mints.

So, I took a detour and I started looking at world gold from countries I either visited or are part of the family heritage.

After a win in an auction tonight, I am now the owner of two small gold foreign pieces. While I don’t expect this to be my primary focus, I do expect to pick up a few pieces a year.

So here is the start of my foreign gold collection(sellers pics):

I look forward to seeing interesting pieces and starting to learn about more world coins.

Nice way to start !😊

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

Good start to a foreign gold collection! Enjoy! :)

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the DarkSide!

My current "Box of 20"