Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Which would you invest/collect?

1) Which do you think is worth more in 5 years?

1974 Topps Baseball BCEE wax box (Can be bought for 11k today)

1988 Fleer Basketball BBCE Box (Can be bought for 8k today)

Remember to remove your bias.

2) Which one would you rather collect ?

Cubs and Purdue Fan - Ouch!

My collecting blog: http://ctcard.wordpress.com

Comments

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

There will always be a more global market for 88/89 Fleer basketball. It also has a much better RC crop and 3.27 of each card in the set. That said, there are 1000+, yes 1000+ of those boxes still unopened. I have seen multiple cases in the past 2 years alone.

The 1974 Topps box lacks early card star power (aside from Schmidt 2nd year) and the demand for Dave Winfield RCs has never been too strong. However, there are likely less than 150 of these boxes still unopened. I would actually bet the 1974 box slightly outpaces the 88/89 Fleer box simply due to availability.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

74 topps baseball especially if Parker makes the hall.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Parker rookie is undervalued IMHO but getting stronger.

Sadly, I would still vote for the basketball from investment POV.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

1974 baseball

• Options
    nendeenendee Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

3-2 74 Baseball so far.

So let's say it is 3 years from now. Is that 11k 74 Baseball Box now worth 16k?
    Is the 88 Fleer Wax box now worth 12k?

The issue is that the greater risk is certainly the basketball. It also has the higher potential quick return.

Cubs and Purdue Fan - Ouch!

My collecting blog: http://ctcard.wordpress.com
  • Options

I'd have trouble believing the baseball will continue upwards, despite the lower number of unopened. I'd suspect the amount of unopened basketball is going to drop drastically as people hunt for Jordans.

• Options

I think the 74T Baseball has been sitting at 11K for a while. Haven't seen that go up? I think the 1988 Fleer has more upside. Basketball cards have just exploded...more so than Baseball. Plus anything with a potential PSA 10 Jordan of any kind is worth a look...

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

most new collectors think of 1974 as "the olden days" with players most have never heard of. 88BK has much more familiar names and is closer to the age range buying in.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭✭

88 Fleer basketball. There is no real driver for a price increase on the 74 baseball.

I searched for a FASC BBCE wrapped 88 Fleer basketball box several years ago but refused to pay the "inflated" prices, big mistake on my part.

The other thing we are seeing with the current market is that items that come up for sale more often seem to have much more meteoric prices jumps. Especially if they sell at auction. New record auction prices beget higher BINs which beget more record auctions. Eventually the merry go round has to end but for now it only seems to be picking up steam. So with that, the rarity of the 74 box will hurt it since you won't see new record high prices being set every few weeks or so, nor will there be any consolidation before prices increase yet again. I have seen this over and over with modern (80s and after) graded cards and boxes.

Robb

• Options
    tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

I would like to collect the 74 box. If I wanted an investment and a return that I would have no regrets selling I would buy the basketball.
    kevin

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

to collect? 74.

for sheer investment? 88.

correct answer? grab both & eff all that regret stuff.

• Options
    paulb71paulb71 Posts: 282 ✭✭✭✭

74 baseball

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

I like baseball more but I agree with some on here. Anything with a potential Jordan PSA 10 (especially a third year Jordan Fleer) has the true potential when it comes to value wise. Very slow movement on the 74. 14 Year difference and the 88 Fleer is right on its tail.