Home Q & A Forum

Newbie looking for advice. 1968-S DDO grade it?

Hey guys,

I’ve got a 1968-S I think is a DDO. If it is in fact a DDO should I send it in to get graded with whatever marking is on the back? Would it be worth grading? Got lucky and found it in my pocket change :)

Hoping it’s a decent find. Doubling is on the date and I believe all letters on “Liberty”

Thanks in advance,

Tagged:

Comments

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just curious - do you know the difference between MD and a DD? There are lots of threads on the forum where the differences are discussed.

MD is characterized by doubling that looks flat and shelf-like. Does that describe yours? ;)

99.999% of the doubling you will see will be MD. Unless you are experienced enough to distinguish MD from DD, you probably won't be making discoveries of unknown DD varieties on 50+ year old coins, so all you need to do is compare your coin to pics of known DDs for that date/mintmark, If there is a known 68S DD and yours matches pics of those then you might have something.

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

Machine/mechanical doubling.

No extra value & not worth grading. ;)

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

This link has a good explanation of mechanical doubling

https://www.doubleddie.com/144801.html

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Thank you that really helped. Time to go back through all these coins and try again lol!

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pics of md but no cigar. The hunt continues. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken