Home Q & A Forum
Options

New Error? 1982 Zinc ( 2.5g ) Large Date DDO

Good afternoon Ladies and Gents. I recently stumbled across a 1982 No Mint Mark ( Philly ), Zinc Large date DDO. I’ve been searching and I can find this error in the Bronze Large Date 1982 but not the Zinc. ( Not listed on PCGS as a variety ) I’m fairly new but I’m almost positive this is a true double die and not machine doubling. It weighs the proper 2.5g and it’s in fairly good shape other than some discoloration behind Liberty on the obverse. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Pics attached.

Comments

• Options

• Options

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now why would you think it is not MD? Just curious about your thought process.

As I see it, the doubling is flat and shelf-like and the width of the letters is diminished by the doubled area. In other words, both sections of the letters combined are the same width as a non-doubled coin. All of that makes me think MD.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a good explanation of mechanical doubling

https://www.doubleddie.com/144801.html

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

Thank you for that reference. Still fairly new to all of this and trying to tell the difference in true doubling and all the rest has been a real chore lately lol!! That helped big time though thank you again for the help 😊

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2021 1:19AM

" I recently stumbled across a 1982 No Mint Mark ( Philly ), Zinc Large date DDO. I’ve been searching and I can find this error in the Bronze Large Date 1982 but not the Zinc."

?
    I don't mean to rock your world,
    2.5 is zinc.
    There are 8-9 different 1982 US cents.
    3.1 is what copper should register
    Need help just let us Know.
    Cool.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like MD to me.