Home Sports Talk

Red Sox making a big deal with the Yankees today

tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 25, 2021 10:59AM in Sports Talk

Looks like the sox are getting Ottivino (not sure of the spelling) and German but announcement of who they are giving up has not been given out yet. We will not even recognize the players this year (thank God!)
Any bets on Benentendi being involved?

Comments

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

the trade was for "a player to be named later or cash" which will be disclosed at some point. New York also gave Boston about $800k to off set some of the salaries.

• tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭✭

I guess it was just a salary dump for the Yankees. I hope it works out but most deals made with the Yankees do not and these 2 players they got do not make me too excited for sure.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

The fact that they are dealing with the Yankees in the first place just raises red flags for me.

If its only cash then its ok but if a promising player I involved I hesitate to like the real. I guess we will have to trust the GM not to make a stupid deal but past GM's have not done too well with deals so we shall see a little further down the road.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ottavino is just a reliever, not like they just traded for a big stick. Have no fear, the Red Sox penchant for making poor deals and overpaying is afoot. Mr. Bloom will follow the lead of his predecessors and probably hand over Benny in a deal that will undoubtedly not be fruitful. They should have a big sign on Yawkey Way..."we pay big bucks for poor performance". Red Sox history has many examples of this.

I'll catch an occasional game, but not like years past. When they rehired the cheater, I was pretty much done.

I know what you mean my friend. Last year I watched games and exited early when the sox stunk it up. I will do the same this year and hope for better results but am skeptical.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

hopefully Sale will be better than ever when he returns. that will be a big pickup right there

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

This Chaim Bloom guy from Tampa, has been given the keys to the Red Sox kingdom. He's barely in his mid 30s, and I have not a remote clue as to where he acquired such professional baseball prowess and knowledge as to have been hired into such a lofty position, not to mention a sweet salary.

His statement of "we're not gonna play scared". And he's not afraid to trade with the Yankees. Really? Hell, I'd trade with the devil if it helped my team, not a real earth shattering comment or position to take. These are what I call fluff and puff statements, like any young dude with a killer job at his age. Sounds great to the fans and the press, just a little love fest crap to fertilize the masses. No doubt he'll sing more sweet nuthins to the Red Sox Faithful to hopefully bolster his trades.

He should realize he was hired to be fired...he doesn't wear a uniform, doesn't field any play, catch, throw, or try to steal a base. He sits upon his a$$ in a nice air conditioned suite and tries to look important, with a pencil or two, maybe a laptop and some Red Sox stuff to dress up the show. He, IMO offers not the years of sage experience other candidates that were passed up surely had. I could go on, but Red Sox history is rife with bad deals, bad managers and some piss poor players who only mailed it in. HanRam, crazy Manny, and el sapo gordo, Sandoval to name a few...simple research will add others to this list.

I wish the team well, but I'm not the fan I once was. Not a bazillion upbeat comments will change my mind. The proof is in the pudding, perform or get out. And that Mr. Bloom "wrestled" with the idea of rehiring a PROVEN cheater, says all I need to know about him. Time will tell, as it always does, but all the hope and hype for the future and promises of WS excitement once felt throughout Fenway in years past, will be very elusive to achieve again.