Home Sports Talk
Options

Matt Lafleur is getting roasted

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

We all saw what happened yesterday in the NFC title game, when Matt Lafleur decided on a 4th and goal, down by 8, with 2:09 left in the game to kick a field goal instead of going for it. Now, he is getting trashed online for it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/amp/matt_lafleur_blasted_for_kicking_fg_down_by_eight_points/s1_12680_33911978

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭✭

I for one was shocked when I saw the field goal unit run out onto the field. I knew then the game was over as the coach had lost faith in the offense.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

There are some really good comments being made about this field goal decision. Here's one of my favorites so far.

"Wow - it would've been so easy to blame this loss on Pettine. Matt Lafleur lobbying for last minute credit. Go for it there!"

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I for one was shocked when I saw the field goal unit run out onto the field. I knew then the game was over as the coach had lost faith in the offense.

Agreed. Then I thought it was going to be a fake.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just another glaring example of coach’s being a complete idiot, it seems like it’s happening more and more really

• Options

This is one of the biggest bonehead calls I've ever seen. He is going to be hearing about this for some time.

• Options

Matt Lafleur's brain on 4th and goal.

• Options

Oh, oh! This is the video of Aaron Rodgers shaking Brady's hand after the game, and you can just tell he was in a foul mood! He barely looked at Brady.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Just a tad below and not by much the Seattle call/interception.
    The tries before ha were not very good. You would think they had a few calls nobody had ever seen or could plan for for just this case.
    Andy Reid would have

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

Oh, oh! Here's the video of Aaron Rodgers after the game, and when asked about the field goal decision, he didn't look too happy.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there any doubt that Vince Lombardi would have went for the touchdown?

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    Oh, oh! This is the video of Aaron Rodgers shaking Brady's hand after the game, and you can just tell he was in a foul mood! He barely looked at Brady.

Eh I think Rodgers was fine, they went for the hug instead of a handshake. I don’t blame him for being pissed but he did the right thing by Brady. Honestly it might have been more than Brady would have done had he lost lol

• Options

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

Eh I think Rodgers was fine, they went for the hug instead of a handshake. I don’t blame him for being pissed but he did the right thing by Brady. Honestly it might have been more than Brady would have done had he lost lol

It's probably more than I would have done. He handled it pretty well, I know it has to sting, especially with a trip to the Super Bowl on the line.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

It's probably more than I would have done. He handled it pretty well, I know it has to sting, especially with a trip to the Super Bowl on the line.

Yea Rodgers is definitely upset, it’s tough getting that far and losing like that especially since he could have had a chance on that 4th down, I mean a TD and a 2 point conversion attempt with Rodgers or give the ball back to Brady? Saying it “Wasn’t his decision” I think was pretty much the only way he could put it without speaking his mind lol

• Options

Matt Lafleur, on 4th and goal.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

lack of faith in the offense and an over-confidence in the defense.

who calls the plays on offense, Rodgers, the HC or the OC?? that's where the real blame should be placed, on the play caller and on Rodgers for not trusting himself. go look at the replays, when it's 3rd and goal at the eight and Rodgers runs I see no way he gets stopped short of the goal line, he has the angle and the momentum to beat anyone of the Bucs to the corner. he should have run like he's done so many times before.

shouldn't every Team have situational plays with the HC thinking 1-2 plays ahead?? how many times do we see crucial points in a game, maybe it's 3rd and six in no man's land, too far for the field goal and too close to punt. don't these HC's have that thought through, do they need to take time-out to decide?? what do they practice during the week, all the 5-10 down-and-out patterns or the crossing routes??

same thing at the goal line, Teams look confused like they never have been or never planned on being 3rd and goal at the four yard line. these HC's get paid millions of dollars to be ready for stuff like that. what the Packers did in that situation yesterday looked really bad.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2021 11:17AM

Between GB kicking the FG there and TB deciding to not kick a FG right before the half while taking a shot at the end zone just shows the stark difference between these two QBs and the level of trust that they have with their head coaches.
    The Bucs had 4th & 4 from the 39 then Brady talks Arians out of attempting a FG there to try to get more points. That touchdown turned out to be the difference in that game. Had their roles been reversed at the end and TB needed 8 points to tie it I just don’t see Brady giving in that easy. What good is having an MVP QB and the highest scoring offense from 2020 when you won’t even give them the chance to tie it with the game on the line?

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every time I see or hear Matt Lafleur I think of the movie Dodgeball and Vince Vaughn's character of the same name.

But this was the best line of the movie

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2021 12:02PM

Hello, I'm just getting back from Twitter, and wow. Just wow. Matt Lafleur is taking a pounding. It's an all out stinkfest!

• Options

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

my theory is that these head coaches -- who have been living off of 3-4 hours of sleep for an entire season -- sometimes experience mental fatigue at the most inopportune time.

i still fail to see LaFleur's logic, especially when you hear what he said after the game.

".....the way our defense was playing, it felt like the right decision."

felt like? that doesn't exactly exude conviction, coach. frankly, you sound quite unsure of yourself. not exactly the time for that, considering the season was on the line.

the way our defense was playing? ok, well, you needed a stop & touch. didn't matter the order, you had to have both to stay in the game. your best opportunity to get the TD is from 8 yards out with the ball in the hands of the league MVP, is it not? and if it doesn't happen, your defense -- you love the way they were playing, remember -- has the Bucs pinned and has the opportunity to give your team a short field for another crack at the house.

if you kick a field goal, you've in essence accomplished nothing. you still need the stop and score. except this time the Bucs will be starting from the 25 or so, which means you'll be starting from scratch (i.e., a lengthy drive) to get the touchdown, once you get the ball back. if you ever do.

it's one thing to lose because you're just not talented enough, but it's a completely different thing to lose because you're just plain dumb and, as a result, unable to put your players in the best possible position to win

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Packers best chance was to put the ball in Rodgers hands period. Whether it worked or not that's your best chance

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

I don’t think he should be getting roasted quite as bad as he is. Rodgers had 3 cracks at the end zone and didn’t get it done. Third down was a touchdown if he just tucks and runs. At least down to the 1. Not sure what aspect of 1st, 2nd, or 3rd down gave MF faith that they would get it done on 4th. I think AROD blew it.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2021 2:08PM

Matt Lafleur, on 4th and goal.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

The thing that LaFleur should of course know, is that defenses towards the end of a game are generally more tired than offenses. Going for it in that situation had a pretty good chance of succeeding, above the normal odds. Same with the 2 point conversion.

The bottom line is LaFleur f*ed up, bigtime, and there's no getting around it. He should just admit it rather than coming up with lame excuses why he made an inexcusable call.

• Options

The Bucs had 4th & 4 from the 39

while I sort of understand the logic it is a terrible comparison, end of half vs. end of game. that pass by Brady at the end of the half was a beautiful thing, he's done it before for the TD and for the PI, so it made sense. what didn't make sense was the defense of that play, any kid playing pee wee football knows not to let that receiver pass you up. just plain stupid and a game changer.

• Options

Rodgers had a TD run that he totally avoided to get his favorite target a TD pass. That right there is his problem, he is adamant about looking for his favorite guy first pretty much every pass play.

• Options

Aaron Rodgers is taking a shellacking on social media as well for not running with that ball.

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is anyone talking about Roger's bonehead play not running for an easy TD late in the game.

Wide open path and he decided to throw it instead, into a big crowd (incomplete, by the way).

That might be a bigger bonehead play.

Any quarterback, even George Blanda when he was forty, would have run that pigskin in for 7.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options

If I were Aaron Rodgers, I would've tucked that ball and ran with everything I had. If anyone would've gotten in my way, there would be hell to pay!

• Options

another thing about Rodgers on Sunday that I picked up on --- and the entire Tampa Bay defense took advantage of --- was his insistence on running the play clock down to -1- before he calls for the snap. he did over and over again and they rushed him hard, knowing when the snap was coming. he finally started to call for the ball earlier towards the end of the game, but the damage was done.

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

Mike McCarthy would have kicked the FG too. I guess they've stayed consistent in GB.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    another thing about Rodgers on Sunday that I picked up on --- and the entire Tampa Bay defense took advantage of --- was his insistence on running the play clock down to -1- before he calls for the snap. he did over and over again and they rushed him hard, knowing when the snap was coming. he finally started to call for the ball earlier towards the end of the game, but the damage was done.

Not smart.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DoubleEagle59 said:
    Is anyone talking about Roger's bonehead play not running for an easy TD late in the game.

Wide open path and he decided to throw it instead, into a big crowd (incomplete, by the way).

That might be a bigger bonehead play.

Any quarterback, even George Blanda when he was forty, would have run that pigskin in for 7.

I could not believe he threw it. Worst case scenario , if I remember correctly, is it would have been 4th and very short.

• Options

@keets said:

And he got away with at least one play clock violation. I realize that thy usually give them some leeway, but at least once it was egregious.

• Options

@VikingDude said:

@craig44 said:

Agreed. Then I thought it was going to be a fake.

For some reason I didn't think fake - but hopefully the Bucs coaches were telling their players to be looking for it. Because a missed fake would have ended the game 100%. But it would have been a very strong move - the opposite of the weakness they showed by kicking the field goal.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

Yea Rodgers is definitely upset, it’s tough getting that far and losing like that especially since he could have had a chance on that 4th down, I mean a TD and a 2 point conversion attempt with Rodgers or give the ball back to Brady? Saying it “Wasn’t his decision” I think was pretty much the only way he could put it without speaking his mind lol

Did Rodgers show any anger on the sideline or going off the field? I don't remember. He should have refused to leave the field. Seriously. Sometimes in this world, whether you are a regular Joe or Aaron Rodgers, you have to advocate for yourself.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    my theory is that these head coaches -- who have been living off of 3-4 hours of sleep for an entire season -- sometimes experience mental fatigue at the most inopportune time.

i still fail to see LaFleur's logic, especially when you hear what he said after the game.

".....the way our defense was playing, it felt like the right decision."

felt like? that doesn't exactly exude conviction, coach. frankly, you sound quite unsure of yourself. not exactly the time for that, considering the season was on the line.

the way our defense was playing? ok, well, you needed a stop & touch. didn't matter the order, you had to have both to stay in the game. your best opportunity to get the TD is from 8 yards out with the ball in the hands of the league MVP, is it not? and if it doesn't happen, your defense -- you love the way they were playing, remember -- has the Bucs pinned and has the opportunity to give your team a short field for another crack at the house.

if you kick a field goal, you've in essence accomplished nothing. you still need the stop and score. except this time the Bucs will be starting from the 25 or so, which means you'll be starting from scratch (i.e., a lengthy drive) to get the touchdown, once you get the ball back. if you ever do.

it's one thing to lose because you're just not talented enough, but it's a completely different thing to lose because you're just plain dumb and, as a result, unable to put your players in the best possible position to win

You nailed it. It's situational football combined with knowing your team's strengths. They failed at both.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

Did Rodgers show any anger on the sideline or going off the field? I don't remember. He should have refused to leave the field. Seriously. Sometimes in this world, whether you are a regular Joe or Aaron Rodgers, you have to advocate for yourself.

That would have been hilarious if Rodgers pulled a refusal lol. In today’s world I’m shocked it hasn’t happened yet

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

rodgers runs the clock down because he likes sniffing his own farts

If further elaboration is needed , he hears how commentators always talk about how Aaaaaron gets defenses to jump and his free plays get all sorts of praise so he does it all the time to hopefully get a special stroke job from the gang on sportscenter

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2021 8:33AM

1st and goal on the 8 yard line, 2:22 to play in the game.
    incomplete pass
    2nd and goal on the 8 yard line, 2:19 to play in the game.
    incomplete pass
    3rd and goal on the 8 yard line, 2:15 to play in the game.
    incomplete pass
    4th and goal on the 8 yard line, 2:09 to play in the game., score 31-26. Only a TD will win the game, au contraire, I think we should kick a filed goal, then we'll have great shot at winning with the score 31-29, we'll have them on the ropes for sure.

ONE OF THE DUMBEST CALLS, IF NOT THE VERY WORST CALL IN PLAYOFF HISTORY
    He should be fired for such stupidity.