Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Woodie Time, show us some wood grain toning

Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 24, 2021 5:00PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Here’s a few. The 2nd one is just woodgrained on the reverse, looks like bad 70s paneling 🌞

Mr_Spud

Comments

  • Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I’ve had some woodies (now sold) that I thought were very cool and undergraded. I wonder if the services downgrade (or did) for wood grain toning.

    Thanks for posting, really like the IHC.

  • Options
    hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Copperindian said:
    OK, a newer one:



    A variegated label for a variegated coin! Has it ever been to CAC?

    Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

  • Options
    CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @hummingbird_coins: No, at least not yet. I just liked it + it has the EEPS. Sam Lukes collection - one of the old timers.

    “The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

    PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian
    Copperindian II
    Indy Eagles
    Gold Rush
    Bust Caps

    Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian
    Nickelodeon
    Early Walkers

    Successful transactions: Eagle Eye, redraider, winesteven, renomedphys, splitaces, oreville, ajaan, Cent1225, onlyroosies, justindan, blitzdude, DesertMoon, johnnyb, Heubschgold, SunshineRareCoins, ParadimeCoins, ndeagles, Southern_Knights, pcgsregistrycollector, BruceS

  • Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭✭✭



  • Options
    CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2026 6:53AM

    Love this date; love this coin!



    “The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

    PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian
    Copperindian II
    Indy Eagles
    Gold Rush
    Bust Caps

    Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian
    Nickelodeon
    Early Walkers

    Successful transactions: Eagle Eye, redraider, winesteven, renomedphys, splitaces, oreville, ajaan, Cent1225, onlyroosies, justindan, blitzdude, DesertMoon, johnnyb, Heubschgold, SunshineRareCoins, ParadimeCoins, ndeagles, Southern_Knights, pcgsregistrycollector, BruceS

  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2026 7:57PM

    Old School woodies...


    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

    Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    ricarf2386ricarf2386 Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

    Hello forum,

    Dusting off this old thread! I recently acquired this cent and, based on my research, I believe it’s a Woody. Could you please take a look and let me know if that is correct?

    Thank you all for the help!





  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 40,141 ✭✭✭✭✭

    needs its own thread

    the coin is harshly lit and the photos not in focus

    it could be

    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    ricarf2386ricarf2386 Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

    @MsMorrisine said:
    needs its own thread

    the coin is harshly lit and the photos not in focus

    it could be

    Okay, will do! I will open a new thread with better photos. The truth is, I didn't want to start a new one because I try to avoid cluttering the forum with unnecessary threads.

    Thanks for the feedback, I'll work on getting clearer pictures!

  • Options
    PhilArnoldPhilArnold Posts: 268 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Sorry for the inclusion of the gold coin. I must have accidentally added it - but it didn't show up in the preview before I posted it. And I can't seem to edit the post to remove it. Not sure about this new forum software.

    Phil Arnold
    Director of Photography, GreatCollections
    greatcollections.com

  • Options
    ricarf2386ricarf2386 Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

    @PhilArnold said:
    Sorry for the inclusion of the gold coin. I must have accidentally added it - but it didn't show up in the preview before I posted it. And I can't seem to edit the post to remove it. Not sure about this new forum software.

    No worries, Phil! The new system is definitely still taking some getting used to, and many of us are having the same issues. Honestly, don't worry about adding it by mistake—that coin is absolutely gorgeous anyway!

  • Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

  • Options
    CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2026 6:57AM

    Top Pop Woodie:

    Rare Shallow N variety.

    “The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

    PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian
    Copperindian II
    Indy Eagles
    Gold Rush
    Bust Caps

    Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian
    Nickelodeon
    Early Walkers

    Successful transactions: Eagle Eye, redraider, winesteven, renomedphys, splitaces, oreville, ajaan, Cent1225, onlyroosies, justindan, blitzdude, DesertMoon, johnnyb, Heubschgold, SunshineRareCoins, ParadimeCoins, ndeagles, Southern_Knights, pcgsregistrycollector, BruceS

  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 18,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

    1909 VDB


    "Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

    --- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    Rholo3Rholo3 Posts: 15 ✭
    edited October 1, 2026 7:35PM

    Would this be considered a woodie ?? (1949 George VI)
    I'm just now familiar with the term ....in the coin world
    More streaky than grainy though

  • Options
    bramn8rbramn8r Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

    1921 MS64RB

  • Options
    WiscKauWiscKau Posts: 360 ✭✭✭✭✭

    A Special Woody that is very rarely seen. A forum member now owns this coin:


  • Options
    TomthemailcarrierTomthemailcarrier Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭✭


  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭✭✭


Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file