Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Pencil mark - do I risk trying to remove it?

I have a gorgeous 1958 Jim Brown rookie card. great centering. good corners and color. But on the red on the back of the card, there's a pencil line (see pic) that relegates this card to a PSA3 no matter how many times I've resubbed it.

Can I remove the pencil mark without completely jacking the card? Is there a better method than just carefully with an eraser? Will PSA consider it altered if I do?

Comments

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want to change the grade from PSA 3 to authentic then go ahead and try to get rid of the pencil mark. Leave as is. The mark does very little to take away from the overall eye-appeal of the card. A great looking card.

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭✭

I don't think it will work. You could buy a '58 common and add a couple pencil marks and give it a try, but I really don't think it will work.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

Honestly the card should have a MK qualifier (even if you requested NQs).

• Options
    Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

@nam812 said:
    Honestly the card should have a MK qualifier (even if you requested NQs).

I've cracked it twice (so 3 total raw gradings) and it's come back a PSA3 every time.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a pretty dark pencil mark. Will probably still show a mark even if you try to erase it. Probably not worth the attempt.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't try an eraser.

I would be happy with it as is, but there was a guy who ran a business called "Gone With the Stain", if he's still around see if he thinks he can get rid of the mark.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,871 ✭✭✭✭✭

Forget about it, and leave it alone.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with all above: Leave as is. A very nice card!

Daniel
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭✭

@orioles93 said:
    Looks like a pretty dark pencil mark. Will probably still show a mark even if you try to erase it. Probably not worth the attempt.

That was my first thought as well. Way too dark of a mark to be able to cleanly remove.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with everyone above. Leave it alone and be thankful that it didn't come with a MK qualifier, which it should have. By attempting to erase it, you'll also erase some of the red on the card around it, lowering it from a straight 3 to just an "authentic."

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

@swish54 said:
    I agree with everyone above. Leave it alone and be thankful that it didn't come with a MK qualifier, which it should have. By attempting to erase it, you'll also erase some of the red on the card around it, lowering it from a straight 3 to just an "authentic."

This.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2021 1:07PM

brother you need to appreciate that card solely on its own merits. you start busting out pencils and all of a sudden you alter the natural course that card has taken for over 60 years. sure, there's an infinitesimal chance you could pump the value, but at what cost? even if you were able to blow the puck past the goalie, could you honestly stare at and fully appreciate that aesthetically pleasing specimen in the same way, knowing that you resorted to using a writing implement on it? i personally could not.

grand scheme: it is a Jim Brown rookie card that bangs off the eye beautifully and just so happens to possess an immaterial character mark on the less important side........relatively speaking, you're golden

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is one aspect of the graded card business that upsets me, there is no way that pencil mark should cause this card to grade a 3!

Try SGC.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2021 2:06PM

think bigger. this is THE perfect inaugural candidate for "project 2021". just finish it off by drawing some sunglasses and a goofy mustache on'em. i'm envisioning a "pencil thin" mustache naturally.

and ya know, valentine's day is coming up. turn the ball into a box of chocolates or something. get creative with it, really explore the space. finish it off by signing above the original pencil line on the back, like it was supposed to be there all along and no one will ever know the difference! voila!

true piece of art and ebay 1/1.

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

Card will never sell. ruined. I'll give you 300.00 for it.