Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Mystery coin

A friend of my sons needs information about this coin he has. Anyone have any. Thanks in advance.

Have a good day, Gary

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks to me like a fake Spanish gold coin.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

It screams fake.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a mass-produced replica of a Spanish "Reyes Catolicos" silver real. The original coins date from the time of Ferdinand and Isabella, the monarchs who sent Columbus on his way West.

I do not know where they came from, but I have seen very, very many of them posted on the coin forums over the years, so there are a lot of them out there/ I suspect they were a giveaway gimmick in a breakfast cereal or by Reader's Digest.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    1946Hamm1946Hamm Posts: 768 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sapyx said:
    It is a mass-produced replica of a Spanish "Reyes Catolicos" silver real. The original coins date from the time of Ferdinand and Isabella, the monarchs who sent Columbus on his way West.

I do not know where they came from, but I have seen very, very many of them posted on the coin forums over the years, so there are a lot of them out there/ I suspect they were a giveaway gimmick in a breakfast cereal or by Reader's Digest.

Thanks for the information. I'll pass it on.
    Gary

Have a good day, Gary
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

For some added fun, see if it's attracted to a magnet. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks to be brass which is mostly copper and non-magnetic.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television