Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Interesting sight at Walmart today *Updated*

robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭

I was in my local Walmart around 830 today and the card rep was there filling the card shelves. I am never around when this happens so I stopped to see what she had.

She had just started opening her shipping boxes and 4 guys were waiting on her to stock the area. How they knew she was there at that exact time and day is unknown to me.

One of the guys in line asked me if I wanted to buy anything and I said maybe. He then informed me I had to wait until she was done😂😂 I guess this is flipper etiquette.😂 I decided to walk away.

When I made my purchase of motor oil and went to my car 2 more guys were running to get into the store. “She’s stocking now!” one of them shouted to the other.

I’m a live and let live guy, so don’t take this as criticism of the people there who wanted to buy and most certainly flip. I have read about this happening and is the first time I have seen it in person. It’s just a strange time in this hobby if you like to buy modern retail.

Update: For fun I went back a few hours after my first visit to see if everything was cleaned out. Of course, it was. Still hard to believe.

Comments

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

I see these retail boxes for sale in every one of my FB collector groups. I always post that NO ONE should buy from these people. But of course, they do

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disgusting! Same thing happens at Target too!

They must have store insider who tells them when they are set to be delivered.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the card shops in my area sends a guy to Wal-Mart every week. Probably one of those guys standing in line. Agree, it's getting weird out there.

• Options
    x2drich2000x2drich2000 Posts: 63 ✭✭✭

To be honest, this is not surprising and has been going on for decades. In the early/mid 90's this happened all the time with Starting Lineups. Actually, it got so bad with SLUs that employees would simply not put the figures out for sale and would just buy and flip them themselves.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

surprised it even made it to the shelf. youd be surprised how many store managers already have the product sold prior to the excel reps even entering the building.

• Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

Wal Mart is notorious for having employees call their "buddies" when the card stocker arrives. At our WM, there are usually multiple people waiting as the person stocks the cards. I refuse to buy from any of the clowns when they post on facebook. To me, they are almost as bad as the clowns who are constantly posting counterfeits, but calling them "reprints or facsimiles" that FB refuses to take down.

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

At one time, weren't people taking scales in to weigh packs in search of relic cards

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty pathetic.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    nendeenendee Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

What’s that hot in today’s retail that you can’t get off the shelf for the same price online?

Cubs and Purdue Fan - Ouch!

My collecting blog: http://ctcard.wordpress.com
  • Options

I went to Wal-Mart yesterday on a whim.

There were 8 boxes of Topps Heritage 2020 just sitting there. I bought two, even though I assumed that they had long been weighed for relics.

• Options
    edited January 23, 2021 9:27AM

@nendee said:
    What’s that hot in today’s retail that you can’t get off the shelf for the same price online?

Just about any new release. Prizm Football, Contenders Football and Hoops Premium Stock Basketball are hot products right now.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yojimbosan said:
    I went to Wal-Mart yesterday on a whim.

There were 8 boxes of Topps Heritage 2020 just sitting there. I bought two, even though I assumed that they had long been weighed for relics.

In general the Topps Heritage isn't that hot. The Football and especially the Basketball are on fire.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

This behavior isn't exclusive to Wal-Mart, or cards. There is literally a market for everything these days as everyone is so well-versed and comfortable with online shopping.

Sports cards, video game consoles, shoes, you name it. Particularly hot (and has been since COVID made gyms close and people realize they're breeding grounds for all sorts of illness) is all manner of workout equipment. Weight plates in particular are impossible to find in stores without paying 2-3x regular pricing for them.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2021 2:54PM

@nendee said:

literally anything basketball, soccer or football. online anywhere is gonna cost ya 2-10x depending on the product. heck, even fortnite & pokemon. it's pretty crazy actually and unfortunately, the new norm.

• Options

@blurryface said:

@nendee said:

literally anything basketball, soccer or football. online anywhere is gonna cost ya 2-10x depending on the product. heck, even fortnite & pokemon. it's pretty crazy actually and unfortunately, the new norm.

I think it's due to two factors: interest in collectibles at an all-time high and a lot of people with more time to devote to these pursuits of making these purchases to flip online at a profit.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happens on the coin side quite a bit. Some mint products sell out in a minute or two.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone collecting greenbacks $$$?
    Everyone knows they'll be worth less next year, and the next, and the next....
    I guess alternative investing.. err collecting broke thru to mainstream

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

I’ll just stick to checking the BBCE website 15 times a day

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hiya Robert

I think I might be able to write a book on this stuff along with the "rip-casts" on Youtube.

The distributor for Target comes every Friday at around 10:30am - but now mixes it up due to complaints.

I went there with my wife on a Fri am to shop and walked over to the card section.

There was about 8 people waiting... I asked what's up? They were waiting for the rep - I waited with them - he came immediately after talking - one guy had been waiting for 4 hours!

The distribution of product was polite and orderly. Not so in some situations as told by people re: Walmart.

Now? I just ask my wife to look when she goes or buy "direct" online from Walmart and Target.

Here's the "pile" left over from what I actually opened. Not a BKB guy - but these Panini Chronicles are/were hot as all get out a few months ago. Now? Have no idea.

As was discussed in another thread about "rip-casts?" Unlike my band in the Summer of '69 which I "knew" wouldn't last forever? This may be the "new" way to collect: pay - let someone rip for you - and wait in the mail for your stuff. And by the way - Layton Sports, e.g. - with some product - does "not" ship the commons.

If you haven't seen these guys in action? I recommend a look see. E.g.:

https://youtu.be/ODM6LHWtu4Q

Mike
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2021 8:17PM

Hey, Mike! Thanks for the insightful post.

Side note: I saw Bryan Adams in 1987(!) Good show.

Nice stash! I opened some Prizm Draft that I got online from Target and enjoyed it very much. In fact, that was my first unopened purchase in many months.

It is very true that collecting has changed a lot, even in the last year. I tried a few breaks during time in quarantine but they aren't for me.

Layton sure posts some great cards from their pulls for sure.

I guess I was just amazed that this is actually going on these days. It is one thing to read about it on message boards but quite another to actually encounter on a shopping run.

Again, very happy to see you back and active, Mike, and I appreciate all the responses to this topic.