Home Sports Talk

Hank Aaron, dies at 86...RIP

BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 22, 2021 9:07AM in Sports Talk

Loved to watch Hank Aaron play, quick swing of the bat.

Comments

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll have to see if I can find my signed ball from when he bought a car from pops back in the 80s. Sad day for Braves fans.

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aaron was a great ambassador for the game.

He will be missed.

RIP

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

that is a real shame. seemed to be a true gentleman and a great ambassador for the game. We lost a titan today

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DrBuster said:
    I'll have to see if I can find my signed ball from when he bought a car from pops back in the 80s. Sad day for Braves fans.

what an invaluable item. would love to see this

incredible the number of luminaries passing on. 21 is starting where 20 left off

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

The TRUE HR King.

RIP Hammer’in Hank. 😥

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

Legendary on and off the field.
    RiP

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2021 10:04AM

At the first major league game I attended (1960) an old man was sitting next to me. During batting practice he pointed out Aaron. Then he said to me, "Son, that's HAMMERIN' HANK, some day he'll beat Babe Ruth's homer record." Just a childhood memory now. I liked the way Hank smoked cigarettes in the dugout during the game. Eddie Mathews and Henry Aaron. Best one -two punch ever. At least that's how this kid saw it. I idolized those guys. We're all getting old. R.I.P.

• ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shedding a tear today for the King .... Integrity and grace... he was a role model for all human beings .... Hank Aaron will always be the King.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my all time favorites. RIP.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

just saw this, RIP. :(

• ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2021 12:00PM

R.I.P. Hank Aaron. Probably the biggest baseball thrill I got in my life was seeing Hank hit the home run that broke Babe Ruth's record for most career homers on a night in April 1974. Just the best. This is so sad.

Since I got this thru the mail many years ago and not in person, I can't say for sure that Hammerin' Hank Aaron actually signed this for me. I can only hope it's his real signature.

• ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭

And here was Aaron's record-breaking homer, April 8, 1974, called by Vin Scully.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=QjqYThEVoSQ

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ernie11 said:
    R.I.P. Hank Aaron. Probably the biggest baseball thrill I got in my life was seeing Hank hit the home run that broke Babe Ruth's record for most career homers on a night in April 1974. Just the best. This is so sad.

I saw it on TV. I think Al Downing was the pitcher for the Dodgers in that game. Quick story; I went to many Braves games (1973/74?) hoping to be there and see it happen in person. Oh, well. But one thing stands out as a most memorable baseball memory......I was at a Dodger Braves game when he was very close to tying The Babe's record. I was sitting in the very top row of seats at Dodger Stadium. Hank Aaron stepped into the batting cage during the pregame warmups. You could have heard a pin drop. The crowd became TOTALLY silent. In the upper deck you could hear the crack of the bat as if you were standing right next to him. But that's not what I remember most......while he was in the cage, a group of crows flew over the stadium. The only sounds in the stadium were flapping of those crow's wings and the crack of the bat. It was eerie. I can hear it now.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP to a legend.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

I usually don't respond to the RIP threads but for Hank Aaron I will make an exception.
    He played at such a high level for so long that its just remarkable.
    One of my favorite players when I was a kid and very sorry to hear of his passing.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad time.. what a great talent that extended well beyond the field. And that is reflective of all in the image posted by Bullsitter.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP Hank. You were da man

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

There were other great players nearing the end of their careers when I started paying attention to baseball but right from the start he was my favorite non-Cardinal. I was watching on TV when he broke Aaron's record and it was like the Cardinals had won a World Series. I think Aaron tends to be underrated because he played most of his career on a bad team in a small market and in the shadow of Mantle and especially Mays, but he was definitely right in their class and great at just about every aspect of the game.

RIP to baseball's all-time HR king.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is one of the ones he signed for my dad, my brother has this one, mines in a pile I didn’t get to yesterday. I think it was ~1985 or so.

@dallasactuary said:
    There were other great players nearing the end of their careers when I started paying attention to baseball but right from the start he was my favorite non-Cardinal. I was watching on TV when he broke Aaron's record and it was like the Cardinals had won a World Series. I think Aaron tends to be underrated because he played most of his career on a bad team in a small market and in the shadow of Mantle and especially Mays, but he was definitely right in their class and great at just about every aspect of the game.

RIP to baseball's all-time HR king.

How did Aaron break Aaron's record?

;)

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

;)

The man was so great he could do the impossible!

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

Wasn't really a big deal. Tommy didn't set the bar too high.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

@Brick said:

@stevek said:

Brick, I'm getting old but I remember clearly in 1970 opening packs of baseball cards hoping
    for Hank Aaron and getting Tommie Aaron. :'(

@Darin said:

@Brick said:

@stevek said:

Brick, I'm getting old but I remember clearly in 1970 opening packs of baseball cards hoping

I wish there was a button for "I know that feeling".

But i gave it a LOL anyway even though it ain't too funny back in 1970. ;)

edited January 23, 2021 9:05PM

@stevek said:

@Darin said:

@Brick said:

@stevek said:

If I could have given Brick multiple LOL's for his post I would have given him
    about 100 of them. Two short sentences perfectly delivered by the Brickster. :p

Oh and Steve, great assist by you setting up Brick like you did.
    I read dallas' post and didn't even notice the mistake.

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

@Darin said:

@Brick said:

@stevek said:

If I could have given Brick multiple LOL's for his post I would have given him
    about 100 of them. Two short sentences perfectly delivered by the Brickster. :p

Oh and Steve, great assist by you setting up Brick like you did.
    I read dallas' post and didn't even notice the mistake.

If it was someone else, I likely wouldn't have mentioned it. But Dallas is always so intricately detailed with his posts, I knew he'd take the comment in good fun which of course is how it was intended.

It's actually a very easy type of typo to make. I've seen similar typos like that before even in major publications.