Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1982 Topps Traded Cal Ripken Jr

Do you guys think the card is undervalued?
Or is it about what it should be value wise?

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

Comments

• Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't be afraid to plunk down today's prices.
    Top 10 most iconic 80s, the Iron Man, the pose, low pop 388.
    Even with a market pullback, feels pretty safe.

Interesting chart:

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that chart for a PSA 10?

• Options

Yes 10. They were $1300-$1500 not too long ago

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 9. I think it's in the $500 range.

• Options

Good opportunity here - a real nice 9.5... https://goldinauctions.com/mobile/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=73363

• Options

Definitely at the new price range on the chart.
    Should've upgraded my BGS 9 two years ago

• Options

I have SGC 8 signed with 10 autograph on Ebay under triple-crown

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 868 ✭✭✭✭✭

i wish i had a ten but my ripken is not bad for a nine. i picked my up three years ago.

• Options
    rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2021 11:18PM

I traded a 9 (with several other high grade baseball rookies) in April towards a high-end Patrick Roy collection, and it's probably the only card i wish I had held on to. It's more than doubled over what I paid for it, and I'll have to wait to and see if the market comes back down before I think about picking back up. I do, however, think the market for 8 and 9 is where it should be, and probably should have been.

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2021 11:56PM

It would not surprise me if Ripken TT #98 hits $10k this year. POP report has 3.1% of all graded copies at a PSA-10.

Jeter SP and Rickey Henderson RCs are at 0.12% and 0.11% in PSA-10 copies, respectively.

For comparison...here are other 1980 RCs copies in a PSA-10:

'89 UD Griffey Jr ----5.1%
    '85 Topps Clemens---1.4%
    '85 Topps McGwire ---0.66%
    '84 Topps Mattingly---6.96%
    '84 Donruss Mattingly---3.84%
    '84 Fleer Update Clemens---10.6%

mint_only_pls
  • Options

What do you think the value of that 9.5 at the Goldin auction is? Only 108 BGS 9.5’s.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not like or buy Beckett graded cards...only PSA cards with a rare SGC purchase.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m a BUY on all Ripken’s 1982. BUT he has become more of a regional collectible.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

Many years ago there was a thread on here about 4SC (if I remember correctly) who had popped about a hundred of these in PSA 10 all at once, and almost everyone thought the price would drop because of the surge of PSA 10s. I think it was selling for around $1200 at the time. The price never dropped.

• Options

Couple of very affordable Ripken rookies in the current Goldin auction- both with 9.5 grades.

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd be buying the traded and the straight topps triple photo panel..... the latter is half the price or better.....

• Options
    nendeenendee Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

Always surprised why his rookie hasn’t taken off. Same with Sandberg.

Cubs and Purdue Fan - Ouch!

My collecting blog: http://ctcard.wordpress.com
  • Options

Good investment. Ripken is the type of player who will be appreciated more and more as time goes on.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ripken was always one of the big names back in the 90's. I am really surprised he has fallen a bit. He was viewed as an iconic player then with the consecutive games record while playing SS.

I wonder if the proliferation of powerhitting SS has decreased his hobby standing.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

@conorsdad said:
    Good investment. Ripken is the type of player who will be appreciated more and more as time goes on.

I hope you're right. I have a few thousand of his cards raw. Nothing after 1997.

• Options

Ripken’s legacy will grow over time. That consecutive games streak is astounding, and with athletes missing more and more games the streak will become even more legendary. Quite honestly I think he’s the best long term investment within that generation of players.

• Options

The '82 Topps Traded Ripken is a beautiful card. I like all of his rookies - Topps/Donruss/Fleer. Iconic!

• Options

@lovevintagecards said:
    The '82 Topps Traded Ripken is a beautiful card. I like all of his rookies - Topps/Donruss/Fleer. Iconic!

I like your user name. I can say the same about vintage!
    Yes, me too. The Ripken rookies take me back to my 1st year of childhood collecting.
    BTW, welcome!

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

ripkens traded card is a personal favorite. just a beautiful card. much like the 1975 Brett. both just fantastic

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Grew up in Socal and I was a big fan of Cal. I still have the three 1982 topps traded set that I bought back in the day. No gem mint Ripkens here, but they hold a special place in my collection.

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

Craig44,
    Great compare the 75 Brett and 82 Ripken TT.