Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1936 S/S Buffalo Nickel Question

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this worth grading? I don't seem to find much info on any recent sales(last I found was 2 years ago).
Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

I vote "yes". Looks like a problem-free neat variety.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2021 7:30AM

based only on your picture I don't think your coin is the Variety, it looks more like machine doubling. if you look at the bottom picture of your post, the under-MM typically is up into the rim, or very close to it. I've found two of these, had one graded MS66 by NGC, and they looked identical, even more extreme than the Variety Vista images.

I could be wrong, just opining based on your images.

here's an image from CoinFacts which shows the Variety well, open it in another window for the enlarged image and I think you'll see what I mean about the under-MM. your coin is probably what NGC would call VP-002.

• Options
    edited January 21, 2021 9:00AM

@keets
    Yes my coin is definitely the RPM-002 EAST along with 9 others of different directions. So the RPM-001 is the only FS-501 with any value. Correct? I misunderstood and thought they were all versions of the RPM-001 South. My bad, didn't catch that. Maybe why I was having such a time finding any sold. lol
    Thanks,
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    Is this worth grading? I don't seem to find much info on any recent sales(last I found was 2 years ago).
    Jim

nice find.

is it unc? is it not cleaned? reverse looks cleaned. could be images.

high au maybe ok for submission with a couple other coins to keep costs averaged down. if it is unc and you didn't pay too much, no brainer economy submission. rpms like these are very fun to buy/grade/collect/sell in au-low unc.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your Buffalo is exactly the variety described. Don't let an armchair quarterback persuade you otherwise.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great score buddy👍

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Generally only RPM-001 is the only one worth slabbing and that one only in high AU or Mint state grades. If you have one of the others in high Mint state levels they, too, would be worth slabbing.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

So the RPM-001 is the only FS-501 with any value?

I wouldn't say that. to be honest, I wasn't aware of the other Varieties because, as koynekwest stated, the 001 is what gets searched for and has the higher value. every one has a price but finding a buyer might be hard.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

After talking on the phone with Bill Fivaz back in the 1980's, I got a surprise in the mail.

Bill was always friendly and approachable. I don't remember why I called him (or how I got his number). I mentioned to him that I collected Buffalo Nickels. It was a very nice and friendly call.

A few days later I got a letter from Bill. Inside was a note and a 1936 S/S Buffalo in VF.

He told me to keep it with his regards.

There are people in this Hobby who are a credit to it and echo the camaraderie that exists within.

Bill Fivaz is one of them. Thanks Bill.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bill is a great guy and an asset to numismatics.

• Options

Never had the opportunity to meet the man, but would have liked to have done so.
    Jim

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file