Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone pick up a great coin at tonights Simpson sale at HA??

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boy, I could have easily spent 10-15 million at the sale - there were some cool coins. Unfortunately I have champaign taste on a gina and tonic budget. :disappointed:
Post 'em if you won 'em!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

tons of eye appeal on this one, too.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

@Lakesammman said:
    Boy, I could have easily spent 10-15 million at the sale - there were some cool coins. Unfortunately I have champaign taste on a gina and tonic budget. :disappointed:
    Post 'em if you won 'em!

I have a tap water budget. :)

And Gina won't give you the time of day?

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes.......don’t you wish you were the Sultan of Brunei?? :D

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it just me, or does it look like there is putty in the left field below the top 4 stars?

@MsMorrisine said:
    tons of eye appeal on this one, too.

• Options
    HashTagHashTag Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    Post 'em if you won 'em!

“Gin & Tonic”? Bragger🙄

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    Unfortunately, I actually WAS the underbidder. Darn it.

Sorry to hear that! I was pulling for you!

• Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2021 9:26AM

J-244. Cool coin.

• Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭✭

@boiler78 said:
    J-244. Cool coin.

Bingo ... This is for sure an interesting piece and this is what I love about patterns .. they are more unique and more traceable to the history of collecting and their owners. USPATTERN.com and Heritage quoted as this piece history being ex: Nagy 10/3/1907, Brand (journal id #40589), Stacks Anderson-Dupont sale, Stacks Goldschmidt sale, Morris Evans-Bowers and Merena 8/98, Stacks 1/07, Bowers and Merena 2009 ANA and of course now Heritage 2021 /Simpson.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

@retirednow said:
    Sure did .. but this is a quiz for you all. Look at the photo below and tell me which piece I picked up ... I am sure MrEureka (Andy) knows but maybe others will not. I can hardly wait for the mailman to deliver. These Photos are using the PCGS True view but I am excited to try taking my own photos.

Oh Wow. Looks like you nailed it from your pics. How exciting!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

retirednow - that is fascinating! Congrats on a wonderful pickup!! :+1:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

If only I could go back to October 1982. It this the same coin?

Vplite99
  • Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vplite99
  • Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vplite99 said:
    If only I could go back to October 1982. It this the same coin?

That is not the same coin as the just sold Proof-65+. The one that just sold for $5.28 million had not been offered at auction since Stack's October 5, 1988 sale where it apparently failed to sell for $319,000, which would have been a big price at the time.

That catalog is linked below and may have been the first one to use color photos at the lot description rather than separate color plate pages. It was probably over 15 years later before that become a more common method.

https://archive.org/details/rareimportantuni1988stac/page/92/mode/2up

The $33,000 coin is from the Eliasberg gold auction where it was called Proof-55 in the 1982 sale due to handling and is the lowest condition of the three currently known. It is now in the Harry W. Bass. Jr. Foundation collection.

hbrf.org/coin-collection/coin/hbcc-3202/

Here is a link to the 1982 auction listing.

https://archive.org/details/unitedstatesgoldcoincollection1982bowe/page/n307/mode/2up

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoBust said:

" .... Its one of my 3 favorite patterns {J-34} in my set now. ..."

Boy ... I would have been sure that piece would have been one of your ( or any one else's for that matter) top favorite patterns ... I would be interested to learn which others you have higher on your list of favorite patterns than that one.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

@retirednow said:

@GoBust said:

" .... Its one of my 3 favorite patterns {J-34} in my set now. ..."

Boy ... I would have been sure that piece would have been one of your ( or any one else's for that matter) top favorite patterns ... I would be interested to learn which others you have higher on your list of favorite patterns than that one.

I suspect a Wright quarter might be one...

• Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2021 12:54PM

Good guess Bruce, the Wright quarter in white metal is one, not the best of the four known, but the only one in private hands. And when I mentioned top three, its hard to love your children differently, the other is the Judd-44 1814 platinum Half Dollar.

• Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2021 11:31PM

I picked this up.! Well laura did for me. Oops this was from the Fun sale.

• Options
    earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Clackamas1 said:
    I picked this up.! Well laura did for me. Oops this was from the Fun sale.

Wow! Didn’t that coin go for over $15k which was a record for date and grade? I was really surprised at the price but it sure looks nice. Congrats

• Options
    edited January 25, 2021 4:12AM

@earlyAurum said:

@Clackamas1 said:

Wow! Didn’t that coin go for over $15k which was a record for date and grade? I was really surprised at the price but it sure looks nice. Congrats

yep I went full on - actually Laura did but with my guidelines - I was shocked - but I am 52 and I can't wait any longer I have been hunting this coin for 10+ years and that really is not much money to me. The next time it is at auction I will be dead.

• Options
    earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Clackamas1 said:

@earlyAurum said:

@Clackamas1 said:

yep I went full on - actually Laura did but with my guidelines - I was shocked - but I am 52 and I can't wait any longer I have been hunting this coin for 10+ years and that really is not much money to me. The next time it is at auction I will be dead.

I surprised it has taken you such a long time to pick up a nice one. In 2014, a PCGS MS64 sold twice at Heritage for $15k. It first sold with CAC approval and then when it reappeared, it was CAC'd.

A very nice coin but unlike early copper, this one went for moon money as they say.

• Options
    edited January 25, 2021 1:00PM

@earlyAurum said:

@Clackamas1 said:

@earlyAurum said:

@Clackamas1 said:

I surprised it has taken you such a long time to pick up a nice one. In 2014, a PCGS MS64 sold twice at Heritage for $15k. It first sold with CAC approval and then when it reappeared, it was CAC'd.

A very nice coin but unlike early copper, this one went for moon money as they say.

I was out of the game for a time and missed it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file