Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Packaging submissions.

Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although I've submitted in the past w/o any issues, I just wanted to refresh myself to make sure I'm doing it right and there have been no changes. I've read thru the submission forms, cannot find the info I need. Where can I find the info on packaging and marking the flips ?

Comments

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2021 3:38PM
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2021 3:37PM

I believe they still allow you to send US mint products in their original mint capsule. I put the capsuled coin inside the mylar flip. No sense in handling a new coin any more than necessary.

And they have allowed me in the past to submitted unc. circulating coins in coin tubes when submitting a bulk (100+ coins) order. I have done this with new W quarters pulled from bank rolls.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    I believe they still allow you to send US mint products in their original mint capsule. I put the capsuled coin inside the mylar flip. No sense in handling a new coin any more than necessary.

I did this as recently as DEC-2020 with no issues.

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

I put the coin on the back flip facing out, but I doubt that matters what way it is facing. I put a small rectangular piece of paper with the submission # and line # in the front flip, facing out. (too cheap to buy labels!) Once I'm done I rubber band those together and wrap them up in the completed submission forms.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do exactly what Clarkbar04 does. I always use old flips, never staple or tape. Rubber bands only. I label the envelope "Economy" in bold as well.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2021 9:41PM

Pretty much anything goes.

There is what PCGS would like, ideally. And there is "good enough". I have never heard of PCGS returning a submission because coins weren't packaged just right.

The chief problem with submissions isn't how coins are packaged. It's mistakes on submission forms.

Good advice is be sensible. Put raw coins in plastic flips. Protect everything in bubble wrap. But most of all, review submission forms for accuracy and completeness.

I read once that the single biggest mistake PCGS deals with is submission forms that aren't signed.

However you botch it be assured that PCGS will not return your submission because of a mistake or omission. You will get an email asking you to approve of something or confirm what is vague. I am always embarrassed and contrite.
    Lance.

• Options

lkeigwin, Know what you're saying. Couple years ago I received a call from our hosts. I didn't sign the form. Whoops !! Gave verbal confirmation over the phone for processing. I've only done a few submissions. That'll never happen again. I triple check my form now.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do your best. Some submitters send in meticulously packaged and labeled items in a submission. Some lack of proper order will lead to delays. My submissions have seldom been more than 10 coins in flips, relatively easy to process.

• Options

I'm just submitting 4 coins this round. Hadn't looked at the packaging guidelines in awhile. Wanted to make sure nothing had changed. I truly do appreciate the input from everyone.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

I should probably qualify what I said above.

There are special offers and grading considerations to be alert to.

E.g., "first strike" has stringent packaging rules. "Quarterly specials" may require specific submission form notations. Follow PCGS instructions carefully in such cases.
    Lance.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file