Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Found my first "Nordic Gold" Euro.

Hi guy's, yes found my first one in the wild. At first, I was thinking It was real Gold! Never seen an Euro in this composition. But later, I searched the coin out and realized it was only an appearance of Gold. Nordic Gold. Still, pretty cool. Is there any Euro coin out there that, in fact, is the real deal of Gold? Thanks

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Quick ... book a trip to a European country that uses the Euro and spend it!

I've got almost 16 Euros saved up for my own trip thanks to Coinstar machines. A few thousand more and I'll be ready to go!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are, of course, no circulating gold coins anywhere in the Eurozone. No country has issued circulating gold since the 1930s, and the euro is much younger than that.

Equally of course, each member-state is allowed to issue whatever commemorative and NCLT coinage it pleases. These coins are denominated in euros and do not feature the standardized euro designs, but rather depict whatever the issuing country wishes to depict, in whatever sizes, weights and denominations they wish. Such coins are legal tender in the country of issue, but are not legal tender elsewhere in the Eurozone. In that sense, NCLT coinage issuing is identical to how it was prior to the euro, except all the coins are denominated in euros instead of the old currency units.

I don;t have any gold euros - I tend to shy away from NCLT coins - but I do have a few silver euro-denominated coins, from Austria and the Netherlands.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are several things denominated in "ecu" from before the European Union. While not a true "coin" Belgium made several gold issues in the late-'80's. The "ecu" was not quite the same as a "euro" either but this is the closest you can get to a gold euro, I believe.

Tempus fugit.