Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Authentication cost at PSA

I've been on PSA's website and can't seem to understand how to submit a card for authentication, and "if" indeed it's authentic, then get it graded. It looks like there's a charge for this even if it's a fake; is that true? The card I'm trying to grade is a STAR '84 Michael Jordan card #101. So do I assume they're going to charge me $200 even if it's fake?

Any help appreciated,
regards, mitch

Comments

• swish54swish54 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, you are paying for their opinion.

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am pretty sure PSA doesn't grade Star cards. They did briefly over 10 years ago.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • rynegoldrynegold Posts: 4
    edited January 20, 2021 12:23PM

The reason I'm trying to do this is this card is upward of $600+ if genuine.... So who would grade it? Who "does" grade them?

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rynegold said:
    The reason I'm trying to do this is this card is upward of 4k if genuine.... So who would grade it? Who "does" grade them?

Beckett, only submit under BGS, not their BCCG service.

• Great! thanks for the tip!

• How could I tell (myself) if this is one of the reprints of this card?

• Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Several websites go into detail on this. Backs are easy to differentiate usually based on several distinctions, but scammers are getting better. Post a pic in here for an immediate initial impression.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.