Home U.S. Coin Forum

tips/tricks experience submitting orders to speed things along.

LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 20, 2021 7:58AM in U.S. Coin Forum

i looked for a good thread to just make a simple post but decided best to just make a new thread as i really don't recall ever seeing one dedicated to this purpose.

case in point i submitted an order recently and didn't put the tier on the outside of the package which i'm sure will cost at least a day or two and becomes more important to do the higher up the tiers you go.

even with the very cost efficient price of $5 for true views (i think you get this price even w/o shield?), i opted not to for my group although it pained me to do so. been waiting to get these coins out for a while and between the slowed shipping and slower turn-around times, understandably in these challenging times, i really was trying my best to keep things moving along as i simply want their professional opinion on the items i sent and while getting desired grades is nice, it is much more about just seeing how they do at least 1 time through the system..

any of you want to share some good tips/advice with the board about how you package/fill forms/ship etc that surely someone can benefit from and probably even make the lives of the folks at pcgs a little less difficult?

another tip besides writing the tier level on the outside of the shipping package. - i read here a while back there is a program that helps to print the numbers needed on the sticker for the 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 mylar flips which makes it easier and quicker, even if just a little for them to read and keep organized/quality check/audit.

how about taking quality pictures of your check/submission form and coins prior to packaging?

maybe someone can offer insight about how to submit just a coin or few coins that are going for ms/pr 69/70 and how to avoid any possible rub/grit inside the flip while it is making its was from us to the pcgs holder.

looking for contaminants on coins prior to submission. posting here for advice etc. lots of room for discussion on this one i'd think. :)

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Comments

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

didn't read the OP but can offer this --- follow the instructions on their forms and then sit back and wait. things are quite slow right now,

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2021 11:44AM

I'm sure it helps in some situations if you use a credit card instead of a check. This is especially true if you are doing crossovers or the like if there is an additional fee if a coins crosses, upgrades, or whatever.

• Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

Following.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know that NGC will open the expresses first, I got lucky when not putting "express" submission on outside as they open express packages first.

One concern would be that anything that screams high value is a bigger theft risk.

If you are looking to sell the coins you submit I would think that Great Collections would be able to usher them through on their grading option.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

As unpredictable and variable as turnaround times tend to be, I don't think that outside of having your entire submission neatly packaged to PCGS's specifications with a legible and correctly filled out form you'll be able to correlate any specific submission behavior to its effect on turnaround time.

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    didn't put the tier on the outside of the package

i remembered this time and it was logged in within 24 hours. yay.

ty pcgs

for some reason that package had me a little uneasy. 1/3 of the battle is won now.

now i patiently await grading and return shipping.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

As said before. Follow their instructions, properly attribute your coins, and wait.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just submitted a regular restoration and it should be delivered to the PCGS PO Box on Monday. The great wait begins. To save a ton of money on shipping/insurance I will wait to submit everything else that I have at Summer FUN.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • 1madman1madman Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

Strongly would advise to submit for show grades at a members only show and get them graded in 48 hours

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file