Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1971 barratt #6 jack nicklaus rc psa 9

can’t tell if this card is on the brink of explosion or something nefarious is going on.

not a card that surfaces too often. there are no 10s. a 9 apparently sold for $9500 in a 4 card lot w terrible title over the weekend. literally an hour later, pwcc lists one for $79,999.99 obo. next day, another one gets listed for $15k.

over the past year, 8s have sort of been on a roller coaster ride going from $1k up to $1500 down to $700 and now back up to a high at $1800.

for complete transparency, I hold a ton of 8s and 9s. however haven’t made any of mine available in a while. I hold zero interests in any 8s or 9s currently listed or that have sold recently. I just haven’t been sure what the true value of a 9 is. and still don’t considering the lack of documented sales for the longest time and then w/ what transpired over the past weekend. it’s kinda like 3 wagners selling and/or becoming available all in the same week. just not something that really happens...

was the $9500 sale a steal?
was it market price?
is the $79,999 listing a ploy to make the $15k look like a steal?
only thing I do know, the $79,999 is a pipe dream. at least for now, I guess.

Comments

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

I love this card but 80k 9 is nuts..
    I’ve submitted two mint copies but never got higher than a 8. Tuff card!

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

...and just like that, an 8 hits the bay for $7499.99 obo.

• Options

I’m am one of those watchers. 83 others does seem to be a bit above average.

guessing might be the 1st to break the $2k plateau?

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

i say yes. yesterday one exchanged hands for 1.7 btw

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:
    can’t tell if this card is on the brink of explosion or something nefarious is going on.

not a card that surfaces too often. there are no 10s. a 9 apparently sold for $9500 in a 4 card lot w terrible title over the weekend. literally an hour later, pwcc lists one for $79,999.99 obo. next day, another one gets listed for $15k.

over the past year, 8s have sort of been on a roller coaster ride going from $1k up to $1500 down to $700 and now back up to a high at $1800.

for complete transparency, I hold a ton of 8s and 9s. however haven’t made any of mine available in a while. I hold zero interests in any 8s or 9s currently listed or that have sold recently. I just haven’t been sure what the true value of a 9 is. and still don’t considering the lack of documented sales for the longest time and then w/ what transpired over the past weekend. it’s kinda like 3 wagners selling and/or becoming available all in the same week. just not something that really happens...

was it market price?

How on earth have you collected such a valuable and extremely eclectic assortmant of cards? If it hadn't been for my personal observation, I'd say no way. You seem to be a very intelligent and transparent guy to me with an increible amount of card knowledge. It is not the value that is impressive to me, it's the sheer variety. Good for you my man. You are an extremely astute collector! If you ever come across some '77 Topps AS cards that you think are good to go, please let me know. If you don't, I still appreciate the insight. Thanks Blurry! Bobby

• Options

@addicted2ebay said:

you ain’t kidding. it’s an extremely tough card. most are severely off-centered. the few that are centered seem to be victims of some sort of orange’ish staining or pd on the top border. the back does say “gold flake”. it’s that perfect storm of being a goat’s rc mixed w/ tuff quality control that’s prolly lead to the reason that there isn’t a 10...yet. crazy to think there are 10s of 51 & 52 mantles, but not of the golden bear rc that was distributed 20 years later down the road.

the total pop on the 8s are completely misleading too. I can fully attest to cracking and resubbing my best 8s in an attempt to add more 9s to eventually land the 10. i will give psa a nod on grading consistency on this particular card. over the course of the past 8 years or so, I’ve only managed to get 1 card bumped to a 9. whatever the total pop is on the 8, we can prolly wipe 30 of those off the board. i wish psa still removed mailed in flips from the pop report. i sent in a stack a couple of years ago and they still reside as active certs.

gary player’s rc is also in this set. only looks like 1 raw example is available on eBay at the moment. might be a steal at $40 w what jacks card is doing. not my card either.

• Options

@bobbybakeriv said:

@blurryface said:

was it market price?

How on earth have you collected such a valuable and extremely eclectic assortmant of cards? If it hadn't been for my personal observation, I'd say no way. You seem to be a very intelligent and transparent guy to me with an increible amount of card knowledge. It is not the value that is impressive to me, it's the sheer variety. Good for you my man. You are an extremely astute collector! If you ever come across some '77 Topps AS cards that you think are good to go, please let me know. If you don't, I still appreciate the insight. Thanks Blurry! Bobby

thanks for the compliments, Bobby! I can assure you that any brief glimpses of intelligence are equally matched w idiocy as well. 😉

was born in 77 and have a wide array of stuff from that year. which ‘77 cards are you referring? all stars, A’s, autos? whatever it is, lemme know. I’m sure I can help ya out!

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

Come shill or high water.

@blurryface said:
    was it market price?

I'll go with the $9,500 was a discount.

$80k is crazy, $12-15k would not surprise me in this market. 6-8x to move up to the top grade doesn't seem unreasonable.

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

thanks for the compliments, Bobby! I can assure you that any brief glimpses of intelligence are equally matched w idiocy as well. 😉

was born in 77 and have a wide array of stuff from that year. which ‘77 cards are you referring? all stars, A’s, autos? whatever it is, lemme know. I’m sure I can help ya out!

LOL. I collect Topps AS cards from 75-80. At one point, I owned 15/18 '77s in PSA 10. Well, I got divorced and sold a ton of my graded cards. Now I am back into it and simply enjoying myself. I have 4/18 '77s in 10 now. I prefer submitting myself and "earning" the 10 but am always looking. Just an FYI.

I just wanted to let you know that I am impressed with your knowledge about our hobby and can tell that you certainly know what you're doing when it comes to grading! Good to meet you and good luck continuing to kill it when it comes to collecting. :)

• Options

@blurryface said:

$2k has liftoff.

• Options
    edited January 20, 2021 1:54PM

@LarkinCollector said:

@blurryface said:

$2k has liftoff.

while we may never know w probstein, i'm much more impressed w the near 100 watchers. that says a whole lot in and of itself. when i would list an 8, i think i'd top out at 10 watchers or so. i know auctions tend to draw more eyes, but still...that many on an 8 is pretty telling.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@blurryface said:

Come shill or high water.

@blurryface said:
    was it market price?

I'll go with the $9,500 was a discount.

$80k is crazy, $12-15k would not surprise me in this market. 6-8x to move up to the top grade doesn't seem unreasonable.

i would have put about a $20k price tag on a 9. simply because of a conversation w a collector a year or so back that was in search of a 9. he's a very well known collector, social media influencer types that can pretty much buy what he wants. extremely self centered and egotistical, he rubbed me the wrong way and then asked what i would let one go for. i said $50k just to get him to leave me alone and lose my number. a week later he called back and tried to talk me down and offered me $20k. i offered him an 81 donruss at that and hung up.

• Options

I've seen a few posts on IG about this card, though I'm not sure how recent they were. Could be driving some interest.

• Options
    edited January 20, 2021 7:12PM

welp? i was interested considering the centering, but wow. discuss please..this for real?

• Options

@blurryface said:
    welp? i was interested considering the centering, but wow. discuss please..this for real?

All I know is I'm much happier having the Player you outed last night and $3100+ left in the bank. And I would gladly sell my 8 for that and downgrade if it hadn't been a gift ;)

• Options

ha!

and how are those massively overproduced 2001 ud tiger rookies doing that everyone & their brother were banking on?

• Options
    edited January 20, 2021 7:42PM

They seem to be trending the wrong direction for those who were hoping for a Last Dance effect. That MB Diamond sale sure sticks out like a sore thumb. Are the CAC fanboys from the coin forum buying sportscards these days?

$1175 for this one: https://www.psacard.com/auctionprices/golf-cards/2001-upper-deck-golf/tiger-woods/auction/4980104

• Options
    edited January 20, 2021 7:55PM

here's the funny part about this schtick...do you really pay a premium when the guy can't even spot issues on his own warranty card OR properly spell "authenticated"? granted, i'm no english professor myself, but then again people aren't paying me for my opinion nor am i putting my opinion down in writing for a fee.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

@addicted2ebay said:

gary player’s rc is also in this set. only looks like 1 raw example is available on eBay at the moment. might be a steal at $40 w what jacks card is doing. not my card either.

Perhaps unofficially, Gary Player's RC might be the 1962 Dickson Orde. What say you, Kyle?

• Options
    edited January 20, 2021 8:39PM

@miwlvrn said:

@blurryface said:

@addicted2ebay said:

Perhaps unofficially, Gary Player's RC might be the 1962 Dickson Orde. What say you, Kyle?

nope. technically could be a locke card too. card doesn't name the figure on the front as gary player. just that he along w locke are the better players from south africa. it does look like him, will give ya that and was once considered a possibility of being his rookie, but i think the tides changed over the past 10 years or so. that isn't the only card that displays that same pic, either. neither of those even mention gary player at all.

eta: there is another player card that predates both the orde and the barratt. but i'm keeping that one under wraps.

• Options

That's quite impressive that you've tracked one down that is earlier than 1962. I love the archeology that is delving into little-known foreign issue items.

• Options

@miwlvrn said:
    That's quite impressive that you've tracked one down that is earlier than 1962. I love the archeology that is delving into little-known foreign issue items.

no, no, no. i can't take any credit for tracking it down. more like blindly stumbled across it. bob ross would define it as a "happy little accident". 😉

• Options

@miwlvrn said:

@blurryface said:

@addicted2ebay said:

No, never thought of it as a Player or Locke card since it doesn't look like either one of them to me.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@miwlvrn said:

@blurryface said:

@addicted2ebay said:

No, never thought of it as a Player or Locke card since it doesn't look like either one of them to me.

you don't think it looks like the black knight a lil? the jet black hair, black glove, dark pants. tight collar albeit not a turtle neck? to me it's a similar instance of the '29 churchman "babe ruth" card. it certainly resembles the babe but by definition can not technically be an actual babe ruth card, imo.

• Options
    edited January 21, 2021 11:46AM

A little, maybe. If someone put that image in front of me with no context though, Gary Player would be many guesses down after a bunch of guys from the 40s and several hints.

The "America" card from that set should not have Babe Ruth on the label either and I expect it to get removed at some point, like they did with the 35 Muratti.

ETA: No hat is my biggest problem with it potentially being Gary Player.

• Options
    edited January 21, 2021 8:00AM

@LarkinCollector said:
    A little, maybe. If someone put that image in front of me with no context though, Gary Player would be many guesses down after a bunch of guys from the 40s and several hints.

The "America" card from that set should not have Babe Ruth on the label either and I expect it to get removed at some point, like they did with the 35 Muratti.

They stopped labeling that America card as Babe Ruth several years ago, probably around 7 or so years back now. The majority of the graded ones do not say Babe Ruth on the flip.

One thing they have not done yet is include a distinction on the flip between the two text font sizes/styles. There were two variations of text size issued, but the cards are the same front appearance and dimension. Murray's and other UK catalogs include descriptions. There is also a third variation, with the same front side design, but the cards are slightly larger in overall dimension and they do not have text on back.

Another note on the Dickson Orde set: The Canada - Ice Hockey card does not officially specify the name of any player on front. However, there is an 'A' on the Leafs sweater (jersey). Many years ago, I studied all the Leafs players who wore the A over a 10 year period before the release of that set, and I eventually was able to match it up with a photo of Allan Stanley. It took a lot of digging and researching. I used to have the photo saved, but I can't seem to find it anymore. Some of the difficulties were due to the artistic license of whomever did the artwork for the card. Compared with the photo, the gloves are brown rather than blue (a 1958 transition, which predates Stanley as a Leafs Alternate Captain), and the A is on the wrong shoulder, so it was challenging to find the correct year.

• Options

@blurryface said:

@miwlvrn said:

@blurryface said:

@addicted2ebay said:

nope. technically could be a locke card too. card doesn't name the figure on the front as gary player. just that he along w locke are the better players from south africa. it does look like him, will give ya that and was once considered a possibility of being his rookie, but i think the tides changed over the past 10 years or so. that isn't the only card that displays that same pic, either. neither of those even mention gary player at all.

eta: there is another player card that predates both the orde and the barratt. but i'm keeping that one under wraps.

Of course, if we want to get technical, depending what date the Barratt set was released in 1971, there's another 1971 Nicklaus that likely pre-dates it (and would be slabbed as a 1970 if one is ever located). ;)

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

ETA: No hat is my biggest problem with it potentially being Gary Player.

My money is on this card picturing Harold Henning in the image and guessing it was from the 61 Open. A shot from that year: https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/open-championship-1961-royal-birkdale-golf-club-southport-england-picture-id520444824?s=2048x2048

Player at the 61 Open: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/x7IAAOSwwyBfIJRK/s-l1600.jpg

• Options
    edited January 21, 2021 3:58PM

i can see harold henning now. but woulda lost my shirt w infinite guesses.

little known fact: harolds nickname is "who?"! 😉

• Options

@blurryface said:

Or "Horse", whatever :D

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@blurryface said:

who? 🥁

• Options

@blurryface said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@blurryface said:

who? 🥁

... has two thumbs up and is featured on the 1962 DIckson Orde South Africa card?

This guy ^

• Options

so "harold henning" is the correct answer to the famous abbott & costello bases joke?

• Options

@blurryface said:
    so "harold henning" is the correct answer to the famous abbott & costello bases joke?

Harold Henning answers many questions, but only 42 can answer them all.

• Options

btw: happy birthday, jack!

• Options

every once in a while, i'll put a card up just to verify the market is correct and nothing nefarious is going on.

listed a jack 8 about an hour ago. got 5 messages w decent offers and then the BIN was hit at full price.

• Options

@blurryface said:

1960 YWOS #18?

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@blurryface said:

1960 YWOS #18?

i think it predates that even. will snap a partial pic. still searching and looking myself.

• Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

I sent the 62 Dickson to player to get signed... then sent to Psa to get slabbed. Was the only way I could get his name on the slab. It came out great ... unfortunately I can’t find a scan of it

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options

@blurryface said:
    was it market price?

I guess we'll find out in a week, already @ $9,100: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Barratt-Famous-Sportsmen-Jack-Nicklaus-ROOKIE-RC-6-PSA-9-MINT/143948710515 Guessing with current price acceleration $25k+ closing?

• Options
    edited February 17, 2021 8:10AM

probably. sold one of my lower end nines w staining to jermey padawar a month or so back for 11. a tied-record at the time, but i like him and we had been conversing on a possible sale for months prior. i wouldn't let any more go for less than $50k. of course, i'm partial to jack.

• Options

insanity tonight on all sorts of nicklaus cards.

and across several different sellers,

stuff got swooped up quick.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:
    insanity tonight on all sorts of nicklaus cards.

and across several different sellers,

stuff got swooped up quick.

i was watching a number of their golf offerings

not sure what year it is or where i am right now

• Options

nicklaus 8s could be had for $300 a year ago. last month for $2k, now $5ks are getting snatched.

73 paninis just entered a new orbit. and they weren't in their last orbit for more than a month.

• Options

I was surprised the 71B 9 didn't go for more, but man there were a bunch of other golf card sales that exceeded my expectations last night. I never thought I would consider parting with my 73P 7, but it's getting tempting (especially if I could get it to bump to the 8 it deserves).

• Options
    edited February 26, 2021 2:18PM

@LarkinCollector said:
    I was surprised the 71B 9 didn't go for more, but man there were a bunch of other golf card sales that exceeded my expectations last night. I never thought I would consider parting with my 73P 7, but it's getting tempting (especially if I could get it to bump to the 8 it deserves).

you don't think $5k was big? i think the only reason it stalled there was bc i had an 8 sitting for $5k which got hit instantly. of course, i'd never pull my 8 so pwcc's could fetch more money.

eta: sorry, idiot here. you said 9.

• Options

$5k for the 8 was big, $20k for the 9 wasn't.

• Options

fyi: i hit a bgs 7 for $2100 almost instantly.

for those in the know, the 71 is an amazing card and worthy of all the glory it gets, but the 73 is THE card imo. much more aesthetically pleasing and much rarer!

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:
    $5k for the 8 was big, $20k for the 9 wasn't.

agreed. like i said earlier and even more so after the tiger situation and jacks major record looking concrete, i wouldn't let any of mine go for...well let's just say, it would take A LOt more than that!