Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Star Jordan 101 BGS surge

Sorry I’ve been hiding under a rock. What the Hell is going on with this? I see the sold price are jumping way up in recent weeks. Thanks

Comments

• The Fleer #57 hype seems to be pulling the Star along with it.

• slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

A rising tide lifts all boats. People are flocking to MJ, Kobe and Lebron cards right now. As the MJ 57, Kobe and LBJ Topps Chromes have gone ballistic it is bound to pull up their other cards eventually.

Steve
  • DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most underrated sportscard in the hobby, in my opinion. I mean, on one hand it ain’t cheap, with recorded sales of 30-40k in BGS 9, yet still when considering the player, the low pop, and it being his first licensed card... doesn’t surprise me. Goldin has an 8.5 I was watching that was already pretty high with some time to go.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• @2000man said:
    Sorry I’ve been hiding under a rock. What the Hell is going on with this? I see the sold price are jumping way up in recent weeks. Thanks

It seems to be Jordans across the board. A three-card lot of regular-issue fleer (1990-1992) PSA 10s just sold for $850. The Jordan market is exploding.

• rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2021 9:49PM

I think the 101 picture is pretty boring, I mean what’s he doing throwing an outlet pass?

Now for an awesome looking rookie/pre-rookie card I think these 2 1984-85 are his two best looking rookie cards followed next by 86 fleer and then 85 Nike. These are also super cheap and I’d be looking to buy these for the surge:

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

technically if the 71 dayton's, 73 andre, etc are defined as cards, then arguably this is his first card. it even says "bubblegum-less cards".

i see both sides of the floor though. still doesn't mean i'm not slowly working on nate for future grading consideration 😉

** date:**

With an eBay and Goldin offering on the block right now, looks like the 8.5s are settling in around $30,000.

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BriantheTaxGuy said:

@2000man said:

It seems to be Jordans across the board. A three-card lot of regular-issue fleer (1990-1992) PSA 10s just sold for $850. The Jordan market is exploding.

Agree. 1988 Fleer Jordan’s (3rd year) were $400-500 in PSA 9 on Monday. They have gone up $100 day to $500, $600, $700, $900, to over $1k this am. This card was $250-300 a few months back, and now in a span of 4-5 days they are up 2-2.5x. GOAT for sure but this is getting absurd.

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2021 1:50PM

@KendallCat said:

@BriantheTaxGuy said:

@2000man said:

Agree. 1988 Fleer Jordan’s (3rd year) were $400-500 in PSA 9 on Monday. They have gone up $100 day to $500, $600, $700, $900, to over $1k this am. This card was $250-300 a few months back, and now in a span of 4-5 days they are up 2-2.5x. GOAT for sure but this is getting absurd.

Same thing happened with the 93 SP Jeter, doubled then tripled in a matter of the last 4 days. Something above and beyond the normal crazy is going on.

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed. The Jordan rookie has taken off due to the sales over $200k, so other Jordan cards would naturally see a little bump; however, this looks a little fishy with the 88 Jordan. Unlike the 86 and 87 Jordan cards the 88 is unique in that more examples are graded a PSA 9 than any other grade - around 5200 out of a total of 12,000 graded or about one of every two submissions. With 9’s being plentiful and the 3rd year for the card to go from $400 to $1100-1200 in 5 days makes sense how? Scarcity or rarity are not a factor, it is a 3rd year card, and it has been out for 30+ years with no serious run up. All of the sudden the card shoots up without a major event - HOF induction, passing of a player... Would love for someone to explain this one. Smells like something else IMO. Thank you.

edited January 24, 2021 5:42PM

you guys would be amazed at the power of some of these ig discord groups and their ability to do this when they set their sites on cards they believe are currently "undervalued". these cards are not bought for collections, rather like a stock. it's like the "2016 buyers group" on monster crack. i think SCI had the '88 jordan on their december list. pretty much all this is and hate to say it but things like this, online breaking, group breaks, retail card stalkers and all that jazz are the new norm.

edited January 24, 2021 8:18PM

@blurryface said:
    you guys would be amazed at the power of some of these ig discord groups and their ability to do this when they set their sites on cards they believe are currently "undervalued". these cards are not bought for collections, rather like a stock. it's like the "2016 buyers group" on monster crack. i think SCI had the '88 jordan on their december list. pretty much all this is and hate to say it but things like this, online breaking, group breaks, retail card stalkers and all that jazz are the new norm.

Sadly this is true. I tried instagram and it struck me as just being bombarded with sales hype and pseudo-Wall Street whizzes telling me what the next “can’t miss stock” is. Also guys buying Mantles and Jordans saying the cards are their beloved grails, then listing for sale the very next day or two after. One guy was asking about Ruth and Mantle cards he bought, and clearly couldn’t tell you three facts about either player’s career or life.

By the way, I love the term “‘monster crack” and am going to use it liberally!

@blurryface said:

@DM23HOF said:

@blurryface said:

Sadly this is true. I tried instagram and it struck me as just being bombarded with sales hype and pseudo-Wall Street whizzes telling me what the next “can’t miss stock” is. Also guys buying Mantles and Jordans saying the cards are their beloved grails, then listing for sale the very next day or two after. One guy was asking about Ruth and Mantle cards he bought, and clearly couldn’t tell you three facts about either player’s career or life.

So these groups identify cards they feel are undervalued, proceed to overpay current market value to inflate the price, then look to flip it in a few days. It all starts by having a lower priced card, once the card value is driven to a point, there has to be a ceiling for some of these cards.... It can only go so far.. I suppose then on to the next card.. Obviously makes it tough on the collectors, dealing with these pseudo investors.

edited January 24, 2021 9:54PM

@NGS428 said:

@blurryface said:

@DM23HOF said:

@blurryface said:

So these groups identify cards they feel are undervalued, proceed to overpay current market value to inflate the price, then look to flip it in a few days. It all starts by having a lower priced card, once the card value is driven to a point, there has to be a ceiling for some of these cards.... It can only go so far.. I suppose then on to the next card.. Obviously makes it tough on the collectors, dealing with these pseudo investors.

not exactly. so there's several different versions but think of it more like a $17.99 - $99.99 monthly subscription to "jim cramer's mad money" but solely for cards. i have never joined one and i hate to give these guys any compliments but from their free blurbs, they actually "appear" to do a ton of market research, graphs & the whole spiel.

the amount of followers and paid members is absolutely insane. mostly it's younger guys, say 25-30 and they keep the cards they focus on the somewhat readily available and affordable. for the most part, their "tips" are on modern rookies and cant miss legends. i believe they also promote "herd mentality" meaning they will make the tide rise the boat vs happening naturally. this is why alot of folks are noticing these absolute weekly/overnight spikes that double and triple the card's price. i think the higher tier/priced members get the access a few days prior than the basic members along w/ more of their "in-depth" research as to why this a good move. on the flip side, they also "advise" when they think a good time to sale or why they think prices will be falling.

if i cared, was as good as the "boda" team on blowout or had more time on my hands, i'd be looking into how many of these cards the owners of these discord ig accounts have bought prior to "selling their advice". first line of thought, is they could suck up these type cards for $100 each months prior or during the off season and then release their "stock tips" and "market research" then are basically selling them to their members.

but just about every card from the jeter rcs to the jordan fleers have been on these lists recently. and when you have just 1 20K member group sucking up all the cards, this is exactly what happens.

this is also what has given birth to what is being commonly referred to as "the base card revolution". you'll have all of these guys buying up as many multiples as they can. when they need some cash or it hits a certain cash out point, theyll sell some "stock". and when it's done on a monthly basis, they sell off at the newly inflated price and then buy this months "hot new tip". it's literally the monster crack, cardboard nasdaq for the younger crowd. plain and simple. and for the most part, they seem to be doing well for themselves and their members due to the amount of followers theyve gained just from me noticing over the past 6 months. one group went from 12K members to 28K members in a 1 month span. hopefully, i explained it clearly.

*monster crack cardboard nasdaq is registered copy and trademarked now ;)

• 2000man2000man Posts: 25 ✭✭

@DM23HOF said:
    With an eBay and Goldin offering on the block right now, looks like the 8.5s are settling in around $30,000.

Wow it closed at $35K.. I think the 101 BGS @ 8.5 a month ago was $15K still

The great thing about life is if I never look for these “investment gurus” and their lemming herds, I never have to see or engage with them LOL. I was super happy yesterday pulling a centered 85 Fleer Eric Davis from a boxed set I bought twenty years ago and long forgot and found while cleaning my son’s closet. Equally happy looking at all the commons. No worries of the nasqad crack crowd bumrushing the door of that club.

And the day I pay some dude online to tell me what cards to buy is the day I am taking myself out.

• Blurry face absolutely nailed it. Great post.

As did Matt in his last two lol.

@DM23HOF said:
    The great thing about life is if I never look for these “investment gurus” and their lemming herds, I never have to see or engage with them LOL. I was super happy yesterday pulling a centered 85 Fleer Eric Davis from a boxed set I bought twenty years ago and long forgot and found while cleaning my son’s closet. Equally happy looking at all the commons. No worries of the nasqad crack crowd bumrushing the door of that club.

and you are completely right about the lack of any real cardboard knowledge the lemmings have. its a comedy show reading some of the public comments on the public posts. from lack of spelling, knowing which sport the "tip" plays and the back and forth. the crisser could have a hay day w the followers

@blurryface said:

@NGS428 said:

@blurryface said:

@DM23HOF said:

@blurryface said:

not exactly. so there's several different versions but think of it more like a $17.99 - $99.99 monthly subscription to "jim cramer's mad money" but solely for cards. i have never joined one and i hate to give these guys any compliments but from their free blurbs, they actually "appear" to do a ton of market research, graphs & the whole spiel.

the amount of followers and paid members is absolutely insane. mostly it's younger guys, say 25-30 and they keep the cards they focus on the somewhat readily available and affordable. for the most part, their "tips" are on modern rookies and cant miss legends. i believe they also promote "herd mentality" meaning they will make the tide rise the boat vs happening naturally. this is why alot of folks are noticing these absolute weekly/overnight spikes that double and triple the card's price. i think the higher tier/priced members get the access a few days prior than the basic members along w/ more of their "in-depth" research as to why this a good move. on the flip side, they also "advise" when they think a good time to sale or why they think prices will be falling.

if i cared, was as good as the "boda" team on blowout or had more time on my hands, i'd be looking into how many of these cards the owners of these discord ig accounts have bought prior to "selling their advice". first line of thought, is they could suck up these type cards for $100 each months prior or during the off season and then release their "stock tips" and "market research" then are basically selling them to their members.

but just about every card from the jeter rcs to the jordan fleers have been on these lists recently. and when you have just 1 20K member group sucking up all the cards, this is exactly what happens.

this is also what has given birth to what is being commonly referred to as "the base card revolution". you'll have all of these guys buying up as many multiples as they can. when they need some cash or it hits a certain cash out point, theyll sell some "stock". and when it's done on a monthly basis, they sell off at the newly inflated price and then buy this months "hot new tip". it's literally the monster crack, cardboard nasdaq for the younger crowd. plain and simple. and for the most part, they seem to be doing well for themselves and their members due to the amount of followers theyve gained just from me noticing over the past 6 months. one group went from 12K members to 28K members in a 1 month span. hopefully, i explained it clearly.

*monster crack cardboard nasdaq is registered copy and trademarked now ;)

Thanks for the explanation. I appreciate it!

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2021 9:22AM

its pretty crazy that these were selling in the $1200-1400 range a year ago and now it’s up to 35K. (It’s a Probstein auction so take that for what it’s worth.)
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Nike-Promo-Michael-Jordan-Bulls-RC-Rookie-HOF-PSA-10-ABSOLUTELY-PRISTINE/383913179564?hash=item59630239ac:g:GfYAAOSwvfZf94ER

Don West is somewhere right now screaming “I Told You So!” ;)