Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

BBCE Authenticating Boxes - How does it work?

I sent in a 1979 Cello Baseball Box for Authentication last week. The box was originally purchased from BBCE, but I removed the wrapper and took a cursory look at the cello packs a LONG time ago. I kept them all in the same order, nothing removed, etc. Is that fair game for an authentication and BBCE wrap?

What if someone put together a box from randomly purchased packs and placed them into a purchased empty wax box? Is that something that could pass an authentication and get a BBCE wrap? I assume each pack is verified - then the box verified, but that doesn't seem quite good form.

Anyone have some insight into this?

Cubs and Purdue Fan - Ouch!

My collecting blog: http://ctcard.wordpress.com

Comments

• Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

Correct me if I am wrong here, but yes, you can assemble a box with packs from random boxes. As long as all the packs are verified to be authentic, the box will be authentic. That's why BBCE has From A Sealed Case verification vs just the box itself.

• Options
    Webb63Webb63 Posts: 131 ✭✭✭

Unless BBCE wraps a box FASC (from a sealed case) there is no guarantee the box contains the original packs. BBCE is authenticating the packs and certifying they have not been tampered with, however, they are not certifying that it's all the original contents. This is the main reason there is such a high premium for FASC...and that premium will probably continue to increase.

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

I have another question about BBCE services......do they verify if any packs are damaged? I know they obviously check for re-sealing, but what if the box has been handled roughly, dropped, etc and some packs show obvious damage........would BBCE authenticate and wrap it?

• Options
    nendeenendee Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

But, I'd assume from a value perspective:

Raw, Unwrapped Box < Non-FASC Box < FASC Box

• Options

Why wouldn’t you just contact Steve directly and ask him? He’s one of the most accessible people in the hobby but you are asking people here? 🤔

• Options
    nendeenendee Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

@TheCardShap said:
    Why wouldn’t you just contact Steve directly and ask him? He’s one of the most accessible people in the hobby but you are asking people here? 🤔

Oh I will. I have a box at BBCE now, was looking for some outside thoughts. Specifically on value vs wrap type. Love Steve, I’ll def ask him shortly.

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

@billwaltonsbeard said:
    I have another question about BBCE services......do they verify if any packs are damaged? I know they obviously check for re-sealing, but what if the box has been handled roughly, dropped, etc and some packs show obvious damage........would BBCE authenticate and wrap it?

Does anyone have any info on this?? I'm asking because I've seen some crunched-looking boxes wrapped by BBCE.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steve will not wrap a box unless the packs are in at least NM-MT condition overall. In some cases, he will wrap a box in which packs have price stickers but will typically note that on the label.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.