Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Card Size

I submitted some cards for grading back over the summer and a few came back that were the wrong size. My question is does anyone know if there is a listing of what the proper size is for a card based on the year, make, etc? I am hoping to avoid this issue in future submissions.

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm guessing you're talking N6: MIN SIZE? Not knowing what sets you were submitting, for standard size trading cards 2.5 x 3.5", with a 1/64" tolerance. Some sets are notorious for being well off of that sizing, SI for Kids being one example where many on the bottom row of the sheets are short.

• Options

It kind of varied among the sets. I got two 71 topps baseball back with minsize and one 86 topps football. I also got a 71 topps baseball with recolored along with a Pippen rookie with the same thing. Just trying to avoid this issue in the future when submitting.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rsherryjr said:
    It kind of varied among the sets. I got two 71 topps baseball back with minsize and one 86 topps football. I also got a 71 topps baseball with recolored along with a Pippen rookie with the same thing. Just trying to avoid this issue in the future when submitting.

For the ones the came back minsize, just measure them up with others from those sets or any other standard size Topps issue. I just put the minsize in a stack and see if I notice one that is short either direction. If not, I resubmit and they usually get holdered on the second try, though one took a third trip before it got slabbed.

For recolored, pick up a cheap blacklight flashlight, pretty sure I got one online for less than $5 delivered. You should be able to see the ink difference between the Sharpie or whatever was used and the original ink. Also, you can tell from the edges most of the time, as any added ink will typically bleed through the edge.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@rsherryjr said:

For the ones the came back minsize, just measure them up with others from those sets or any other standard size Topps issue. I just put the minsize in a stack and see if I notice one that is short either direction. If not, I resubmit and they usually get holdered on the second try, though one took a third trip before it got slabbed.

For recolored, pick up a cheap blacklight flashlight, pretty sure I got one online for less than $5 delivered. You should be able to see the ink difference between the Sharpie or whatever was used and the original ink. Also, you can tell from the edges most of the time, as any added ink will typically bleed through the edge.

Awesome! Thank you very much for the help! It was my first submission and I have a ton I plan on submitting so I want to make sure I am not wasting my time or theirs with what I submit.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least you don't get charged for N6. EOT is a different story.