Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dealer Websites? Who is the best AND WHY?

ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 19, 2021 11:33AM in U.S. Coin Forum

The Top 5 Best Dealer Websites 2020 Reader POLL

Who would you say has the best website? Why do you think its the best?

Bonus question "What one thing a website should add that they are missing?"

We will select one winner at random from the comments for a prize !

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com

Comments

• MizzouMizzou Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭

Northern Nevada Coin has a very nice web page with a large inventory. Unfortunately, they never have any U.S. Philippine Peso's.

Sometimes I think that animals are smarter than humans, animals would never allow the dumbest one to lead the pack

• smallchangesmallchange Posts: 192 ✭✭✭

I like Angel Dees, easy to navigate and great pictures

Jim

Successful BST transactions with lkenefic, AnkurJ, ajia, stephunter, No lawyer
  • 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

could you post a web link with your answers so we can visit these sites?

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • smallchangesmallchange Posts: 192 ✭✭✭

Angeldees.com
    Northernnevadacoin.com
    Northeastcoin.com

Successful BST transactions with lkenefic, AnkurJ, ajia, stephunter, No lawyer
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doug Winter if you like gold. Nice coins and information.

• chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

CRO and GFRC are two of my favorites.

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only online websites that I buy coins from are eBay and the BST here. The main reason is that many coin dealer's sites have mostly high priced coins that I can't afford as a YN. Do like to browse though :)

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scarsdale Coins at www.coinhelp.com is the best dealer and website. Lots of inventory and a great reference for information on all kinds of coins. The only thing missing is a link to their inventory when viewed on an iPhone without having to click on the desktop version link.

Ok, you can send me my prize now 😉

Mr_Spud

• JimWJimW Posts: 540 ✭✭✭✭

@chesterb said:

websites?

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2021 5:28PM

My vote goes to:

DLRC
    NEN
    CRO &
    NNC

Because of images and large selection.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2021 8:55PM

The key things that keep me regularly looking at a website are FILTERS!!!

1. Allow me to filter only for the coins holdered by the TPG I will purchase.
    2. Allow me to filter only for coins with CAC’s!
    3. Allow me to filter for coins in my price range!
    4. Use the highest photo technology possible to show your coins!
    5. Do you have guts? Do what DLRC and Gerry Fortin do - categorize EVERY coin you are offering with a quality designation. DLRC does this to some extent, using four stars or five stars (I never see any coins though with 1, 2, and rarely 3 stars - that’s why I FILTER only for five star coins). Gerry Fortin uses terminology of Gem, Choice, Original, and Market Acceptable. I FILTER for only his GEM coins. Rick Snow has his PDS system, and he uses those five point scales to categorize every coin for sale on the quality of the Planchet, the Die state, and the quality of the Strike.
    6. DLRC also uses a 10 point toning scale, which is useful.
    7. I’d like to see an HONEST 10 point LUSTER scale. Yes, it’s subjective, like several of the above items, but with time we get to understand the nature of coins as you categorize them.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like https://www.collectors.com/ and https://www.collectorscorner.com/ they are an agglomeration of dealers. Most have enlargeable images, although they are sometimes slow at removing coins that are no longer available.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2021 8:58PM

Not sure about the order (so I will go alphabetically), but I like the following five sites, for different reasons, but all seem to let me search well, and share some wealth of knowledge, and have a good selection for what they offer.

DLRC
    Very well organized with great search features, mostly accurate pictures, good information and great overall selection.

David Kahn
    A well organized site, with excellent pictures and information, and a very good selection.

Heritage
    There is so much information here it can be overwhelming, but probably the best overall pictures and descriptions, and the largest searchable database, with ways to narrow things down that are hard to beat.

Northern Nevada Coin
    Well organized with good pictures, a good search setup and great overall selection.

Sheridan Downey
    Although Sheridan has a specialty site, I love the verbal description that goes with the detailed pictures. He pays for pro' pictures and he takes the time to share his knowledge and some historical information about the pieces he offers. Tell me about the coin and the history. Give me a good description. It's hard to do at times, but I ALWAYS appreciate it.

I'm going to check out others in this thread, and I could list ten more right now that I like for various reasons. Each may be different, but I like variety too.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud said:
    Scarsdale Coins at www.coinhelp.com is the best dealer and website. Lots of inventory and a great reference for information on all kinds of coins. The only thing missing is a link to their inventory when viewed on an iPhone without having to click on the desktop version link.

Ok, you can send me my prize now 😉

Thanks for the kind words, we are working on updating so thank you for that input

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • dorkbardorkbar Posts: 425 ✭✭✭

Wondercoins. It's all about honor.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2021 3:27PM

Angel Dees is my favorite for a number of reasons. First its visually pleasing to view, second its well laid out, professional without a ton of fluff and useless info. Third its easy to navigate, I can be looking at one category and move to another without having to go back to the home screen which is very convenient and easy for the user. And lastly they provide good quality photos of all the eye candy that is available all the time.

Edited to add: One criticism of your current site is the photos, the coin photos seem to be taken in different lighting setups and there were no reverse photos of any of the ten coins I viewed. This may not be an issue for your repeat customers but as a new/prospective customer I would look but never buy from what I can see and more importantly what I cannot.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

@chesterb said:

CRO? Could you spell it out, please.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pictures are essential and even some of the best dealers (some mentioned) do not have the best photography (IMHO).

I do like CRO's approach (superb large pics and I enjoy looking at their archive of selected greats sold) and I like how pinnacle rarities will show the reverse of a coin by just moving your mouse over the obverse photo. One doesn't need to click on the coin pic to see everything.

https://coinraritiesonline.com/

https://pinnacle-rarities.com/

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • CoinPhysicistCoinPhysicist Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hijack, but I'm really curious - did anyone here make their own website to sell coins on? Completely from scratch, didn't pay anyone for anything. I've been working on mine slowly over time, so I'm wondering if anyone did it themselves already.

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

• WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinPhysicist said:
    Sorry to hijack, but I'm really curious - did anyone here make their own website to sell coins on? Completely from scratch, didn't pay anyone for anything. I've been working on mine slowly over time, so I'm wondering if anyone did it themselves already.

I built my website by myself, did all the graphics too. However it's not a dealer site, it's a collector site. I do have a STORE page, however I just have 1 coin on there as a template of what is possible.

https://wingedliberty.com/

• CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

My favorite for easiest to use and make offers on coins is DLRC

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:
    I like https://www.collectors.com/ and https://www.collectorscorner.com/ they are an agglomeration of dealers. Most have enlargeable images, although they are sometimes slow at removing coins that are no longer available.

I've stopped using them because of the frustration of pulling up coins that are no longer available. In my area of collecting medals, we're talking months before updating and the vast majority of what is displayed has been sold. Less of a problem with US federal but seems that every time I like the coin and the price the coin has been sold. Good idea in need of a software update.

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinPhysicist said:

I did not pay anyone to design my site.

I do pay a hosting company to host my site. That company has many different templates to choose from, so the design is included in the hosting you pay for. Clients have the ability to buy from my inventory through Paypal.

I set my site up many years ago (updated constantly with new material) and should probably upgrade when I find the time.

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

DLRC is my go-to for dealer business. Not crazy about the photos, but like the descriptions, the fact that offers are accepted, and the inventory. A number of the sites mentioned are great but don't have the inventory for me. My search time is limited, so a broad inventory is key. L&C deserves a mention.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am seeing quite a few high-end websites in this thread, which is great for viewing, but tend to be way outta my reach for my collection.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2021 5:15PM

CRO by a country mile for me. Clean and crisp.

Besides a great layout I love that all the coins that are for sale are on one page. The pics are also excellent quality wise . Write ups are short but VERY interesting. I appreciate the slab shots when applicable.

The sub categories are robust as well and I love the archives.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love many of the websites already mentioned here. Odd that no one mentions Great Collections. While it is an auction site, many coins are available for purchase. Speaking about filters, GC has about the best for what I search for. I can search down to the nitty gritty with them. Great place for historical info also.
    Several here have noted that many of the sites have them priced out. I have noticed that also with a lot of sites such as JJTeaparty, used to have many coins in the <$100 range and now very few. Mostly far upwards of that.
    But for large sites, inventory and filters are most important to me.
    Also, for YN's while some of individual dealers utilize different methods of identifying there items, you will learn them even though different from each other and it truly is beneficial. I love Rick Snow's PDS and feel it to be quite indicative of quality.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

DLRC. After upgrades, I sent my dups there.
    fair price & fast. So much easier than dealing with buyers.
    I'd also have 100% confidence buying a 6 figure coin off them (not that I could ever do that)

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like CRO the best. It works for their amount of inventory.

• MarkMark Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

A website I used to haunt years ago was Larry Whitlow's website: whitlowltd.com/inventory.html What makes this website odd and very sad is the fact that Larry passed away over 7 years ago but his website is still up...

Mark

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mark said:
    A website I used to haunt years ago was Larry Whitlow's website: whitlowltd.com/inventory.html What makes this website odd and very sad is the fact that Larry passed away over 7 years ago but his website is still up...

I wondered what had happened. I used to buy some stuff from him on that site.

• CoinPhysicistCoinPhysicist Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭

@WingedLiberty1957 said:

@CoinPhysicist said:

I built my website by myself, did all the graphics too. However it's not a dealer site, it's a collector site. I do have a STORE page, however I just have 1 coin on there as a template of what is possible.

https://wingedliberty.com/

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@CoinPhysicist said:

I did not pay anyone to design my site.

I do pay a hosting company to host my site. That company has many different templates to choose from, so the design is included in the hosting you pay for. Clients have the ability to buy from my inventory through Paypal.

I set my site up many years ago (updated constantly with new material) and should probably upgrade when I find the time.

Awesome, you both have inspired me to do some work on my site. It's nowhere near as cool.

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

@winesteven said:
    5. Do you have guts? Do what DLRC and Gerry Fortin do - categorize EVERY coin you are offering with a quality designation. DLRC does this to some extent, using four stars or five stars (I never see any coins though with 1, 2, and rarely 3 stars - that’s why I FILTER only for five star coins).

I’ve noticed this as well and wondered why we never see 1-3 stars. Then it hit me, it’s kind of a subliminal way of them saying they don’t stock any coin that would be a 1-3 star for them. A way of saying everything is good or PQ without saying it outright.

• Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doug Winter. I like that there’s an archive of great educational articles. I like that all of his inventory can quickly be viewed on one page. Finally, I like his coins.

@Wahoo554 said:
    Doug Winter. I like that there’s an archive of great educational articles. I like that all of his inventory can quickly be viewed on one page. Finally, I like his coins.

I love his coins-just wish I could afford most of them ;) You are right, too, his educational articles are top rate.

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2021 8:56PM

@TurtleCat said:

@winesteven said:
    5. Do you have guts? Do what DLRC and Gerry Fortin do - categorize EVERY coin you are offering with a quality designation. DLRC does this to some extent, using four stars or five stars (I never see any coins though with 1, 2, and rarely 3 stars - that’s why I FILTER only for five star coins).

I’ve noticed this as well and wondered why we never see 1-3 stars. Then it hit me, it’s kind of a subliminal way of them saying they don’t stock any coin that would be a 1-3 star for them. A way of saying everything is good or PQ without saying it outright.

Yes, but.... My main point with #5 is that they acknowledge, and specifically identify, that some of THEIR coins for sale have less eye appeal than their “nicer” coins.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996

@winesteven said:

@TurtleCat said:

@winesteven said:

Yes, but.... My main point with #5 is that they acknowledge, and specifically identify, that some of their coins for sale have less eye appeal than their “nicer” coins.

Right, and that is a rarity even if it is a bit subjective. I’ve found some pretty awesome 4 stars there but I’ve never been disappointed in a 5 star.

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

MA-Shops.com or .DE
    by far the largest selection in any price range

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

@YQQ said:
    MA-Shops.com or .DE
    by far the largest selection in any price range

thanks, this does appear to be a nice and user friendly site.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pursuitofliberty said:

DLRC
    mostly accurate pictures

Really?

I actually wish they would start using a scanner again.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:
    I am seeing quite a few high-end websites in this thread, which is great for viewing, but tend to be way outta my reach for my collection.

Make sure to check out Northeast Numismatics (https://www.northeastcoin.com). Chris and Tom are always posting coins slabbed under $100. They do have high end but also handle others. Sign up for an email when coins in your grade become available. That has worked well for me.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2021 7:31AM

David Kahn, DLRC, NNC.

David Kahn I study how he describes and prices coins (especially toners and other premium material) which has been very beneficial for me. At times I have bought from his auctions on eBay to shore up my 19th century US (makes my case at shows look good).

DLRC bought a lot from them when they doing eBay auctions. Then retail shows / Bay.

NNC have acquired some really nice material from them.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck said:

@pursuitofliberty said:

DLRC
    mostly accurate pictures

Really?

I actually wish they would start using a scanner again.

I did say mostly ;)

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

Links people! Links! I'm way too lazy to use Google! ;)

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2021 11:23PM

Not in any particular order:

Northeast
    DLRC
    West Coast Coins: https://www.westcoastcoinsoregon.com/
    Gerry Fortin Rare Coins: https://www.seateddimevarieties.com/index.htm
    David Kahn Rare Coins: https://www.davidkahnrarecoins.com/

Any dealer that hasn't figured out how to provide a decent picture needs to get their act together.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• SSRSSR Posts: 235 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2021 8:54PM

I am bias as I built this myself but www.paradimecoins.com

www.paradimecoins.com - Specializing in Top Pop Type PCGS CAC coins. Subscribe To Our NEWPs Mailing List

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SSR I'm not sure why Shannon, but the link you posted doesn't take you to your site. The link in your footnote does work though. I have purchased a few $10 Libs from you and you were great to work with.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file