Home Q & A Forum

I have a 1965 S, US cent, with some kind of coating or spilage on the obverse.

emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking at Lincoln's neck area my thoughts are , "is this a bobble head".
What do you think about running hot water on it and see what happens.

Comments

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

Soak in acetone, whatever it is, should dissolve then see what you have. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the reply Bubba !

Well after a rinse of hot water, notta.
    Acetone, is on my shopping list.
    Hey, can I use nail polish remover ?
    If so, not tonight, I'll have to chase down my daughter, its on her list and not mine.

• morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, you can use nail polish remover.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics

Gottcha, Thanks.
    It's now on my list.

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

i wouldn't use Nail polish remover.

Nail polish remover has other chemicals besides acetone and this can vary between brands. You don't know how those others chemicals will react with the coin surface or if they leave a reactive coating. No sense in taking a risk and finding an unpleasant surprise on your coin. Go to the hardware store and buy some acetone.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't use nail polish remover, pure acetone is not expensive. Good to have around and dissolves all sorts of coin crud and green pvc sludge. And it's purity means no residue. Very flammable and evaporates quickly. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

Thank You.
    Will do.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

:D Good luck!

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    :D Good luck!

:)

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you try a propane torch yet? You should be able to fix up that coin in no time :D

Member of the ANA since 1982