Home Sports Talk
Options

Is Tony Romo ever wrong?

DarinDarin Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well maybe sometimes.
I just have to mention 'The Play'.
4th and inches, Chiefs are trying to draw the Browns offsides before they punt the ball away.
One minute and about 15 seconds left in the game. Ball on about the 50 yard line.
Romo is saying no way they snap the ball, just look at the Chiefs body language.
They're too relaxed. I'm also convinced they won't snap it because they're lined up in shotgun formation.
If they go for it they're going to go under center for a QB sneak or quick handoff. Right? Well no.
Andy Reid even fooled the Great announcer Tony Romo. :D
Sure the play may have failed, but Reid gave it every opportunity to succeed by convincing the Browns, Romo,
me and maybe 90% of the fans in Chiefs Kingdom that he wasn't going to run a play.
I knew as soon as that play was over it was going to be one of my top Chiefs plays I've ever seen. :p

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Romo is often right. But what I enjoy about him more than his accuracy is his insight and explanations.

As for that play, it has become so common for them to not snap it that perhaps Reid and his staff even coached body language as a way to catch the defense a little off guard.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2021 9:49PM

I've noticed that he is incorrect a bit more often now than he was during his first season. That first year it was almost eerie how accurate he would be at predicting what would happen, almost to the point where it became like a parlor trick. I think the longer you are away from the game as a player, the less in tune you become with things like that.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2021 10:00PM

i respect the riverboat gambler in Reid, but again, if i'm a Chiefs fan i'd be none too happy with him dialing up options that give defenders legit opportunities to stick the face of the franchise

if the Chiefs had lost that game..........or if Mahomes is unable to play this coming weekend..........i promise you he would have been/will be under fire

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    i respect the riverboat gambler in Reid, but again, if i'm a Chiefs fan i'd be none too happy with him dialing up options that give defenders legit opportunities to stick the face of the franchise

if the Chiefs had lost that game..........or if Mahomes is unable to play this coming weekend..........i promise you he would have been/will be under fire

Those option plays are dangerous with a competitor like Mahomes...you know that most times he's thinking he can make the play himself.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

You’re not wrong if it goes right. So he makes it and Andy’s a genius.
    Here’s what Andy says by going for it.
    He believed in his WHOLE team. He believed his back up QB would get the first down.
    If he didn’t convert he believed his defense would stop the browns from scoring even if they gave them the ball at the 50.

Plus he just won a super bowl. What are they gonna do? Run him out of town?

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2021 3:31AM

I was thinking when I saw the thread title that one of the very few times I’ve heard him be wrong was the play @Darin mentioned to ice the game against Cleveland. He is a legit wizard dissecting the plays before they happen, it’s unbelievable. At first I thought he talked too much but I like Romo a lot. Basically I like both sets of announcers for this weekend. I like Al Michaels but can’t stand Collinsworth anymore

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tony Romo is fun to listen to. Shoot, I remember when John Madden used to hand out turkey legs.

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let’s not even bring up Aikmann and what’s his name.

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

He's like my wife, never wrong.

• Options
    Billyk97Billyk97 Posts: 42 ✭✭✭

He's not wrong but after a while, he's annoying lol