Home Autographs Forum
Options

baseball autograph recognition

cant read the autograph above or below Cesar Cedeno in first picture
looks like "len mathough" on top .. and... "paul rausse" on bottom!!?

or the one below Ed VanDe berg (above f. vanezuela) in the second picture..

or this one at all...

any help is appreciated

Comments

• Options
    jlvette50jlvette50 Posts: 328 ✭✭✭

In the First Photo:
    Top is Len Matuszek
    Bottom is Bill Russell

Longoria Collector. Love the Longo!https://psacard.com/psasetregistry/baseball/player-sets/evan-longoria-master-set/alltimeset/90851 600+ PSA Graded 4,700+ unique Longoria cards scanned on TCDB 800+ different Longo autograph cards Jeff

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

Seriously, do people purposefully take the worst pictures possible and then ask for help?

Take the ball out of the holder and take a better picture. You are literally asking for a signature to be identified that is behind glare created RIGHT ABOVE the signature you want Identified, when you took the signature.

It appears to be a Dodger ball, circa 1986 (Cedeno's only year in LA). All the sigs shown so far are Dodgers. The other sigs are probably easy if we could actually see them..

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep the ball out of sunlight or fluorescent light. Those sigs are fading away. :/

• Options

Can anyone help me with this baseball autograph? Thanks

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Thank you

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2021 11:17PM

Autograph collecting has to be the only hobby in which the collector buys an item about which the collector doesn't know what he bought.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    Autograph collecting has to be the only hobby in which the collector buys an item about which the collector doesn't know what he bought.

All of my "unknowns" came from the odds and ends of card collection purchases or multi-signed stuff where I recognized enough that it was worthwhile. Some like to take cheap gambles at resale shops, not my thing, but there have been some decent hits posted over the years.

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

A more likely scenario would be that it was part of a larger bulk lot or someone didn't note who signed the ball originally and has dug it up from the past.

I have tried to label all of my autographed items for future reference, but then again nearly all of mine were purchased so it won't be me forgetting who signed something for me. I did go back and label all of the autographs I obtained as a kid though, including the multi-signed baseballs, while I still recall.

There are always going to be select people who will buy mystery signatures, but I suspect they don't pay much and are hoping for a big find. Salvation Army type buys, where it is cheap enough for the gamble as LarkinCollector mentioned.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options

Looking for an autograph ID. This was part of a Goodwill donation that contained several early 2000's era Atlanta Braves baseballs. Thanks in advance.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

The last ball above is Gary Sheffield.

Steve

• Options

Agree with Steve.

• Options

I've tried, but I can't seem to identify this one.