Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Jordan Reprint #57 - goes for $4500

Unreal!

I chatted with the owner and he’s shocked how high it went. He thinks both cards might be reprints but he can’t tell.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Fleer-Premier-Michael-Jordan-Rookie-Card-57-Ungraded-PSA-/324449590772?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Cubs and Purdue Fan - Ouch!

My collecting blog: http://ctcard.wordpress.com

Comments

• Options

I would suspect there's no way this goes through. His use of "PSA?" in the title suggests it's legitimate.

The buyer has a good case to get out of this.

• Options
    nendeenendee Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

Description does say reprint. With 73 bidders, could they all not see it?

• Options

More than half of those bids came after he added reprint to the listing and why didn't he include the word "reprint" in the title?

Super shady on the seller's behalf.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nendee said:
    Unreal!

I chatted with the owner and he’s shocked how high it went. He thinks both cards might be reprints but he can’t tell.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Fleer-Premier-Michael-Jordan-Rookie-Card-57-Ungraded-PSA-/324449590772?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

"thinks"? he deserves all the headaches that are headed his way in the next few weeks, i think.

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

I wish the seller A LOT of luck getting that money......

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    nendeenendee Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

Leads me to a question that I’m sure has been answered - why are the reprints so hard to blatantly detect?

• Options

@nendee said:
    Leads me to a question that I’m sure has been answered - why are the reprints so hard to blatantly detect?

well when you don't put "rp, reprint or fake" in the title, then sneak it into the description mid auction, it's kinda hard for the idiots, new fish and/or degenerate gamblers to notice what's been done.

• Options

here's a prime example. this cards been listed, "sold", returned and relisted about 4 times now...wonder why?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-Bowman-Chrome-Superfractor-Juan-Soto-pre-RC-1-1-Pre-Rookie-Prospect-BCP180/174593527038?hash=item28a695ccfe:g:nCQAAOSwViVf3Qdl

• Options

The seller uses "PSA?" in the title which suggests to the bidders that it is legitimate. Like blurry stated, sneaking it into the description after bids have been entered screams scam.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

@BriantheTaxGuy said:
    More than half of those bids came after he added reprint to the listing and why didn't he include the word "reprint" in the title?

Super shady on the seller's behalf.

Well every bid after $2150 came after he updated the listing. Now of course the title can't be updated once there is a bid, so there is that in the sense the seller may have thought real at the beginning (though doubtful).

The other issue is that the seller really should have ended the listing due to error and relisted, or at least cancelled out all the existing bids (if that is possible), but ebay can charge you a final value fee based on the existing high bid if you cancel a listing early, though I think you get a freebie the first time but not sure on that aspect.

I will say that I don't always read descriptions (though I sure as hell would on a $1k+ card) and only read the title and study the pics, which sometimes warrant a description reading. So there could be plausibility that the winning bidder didn't see the reprint part.. But even if the winning bidder pays, I'm sure he'd be shocked when 2 jordans are in the package.

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

@RufussCkingston said:
    The other issue is that the seller really should have ended the listing due to error and relisted

This.

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

@nendee said:

Best thing to do as a newb is to buy a original jordan in any grade. If you can’t afford one then buy a original graded 86 Fleer graded card of any player. After buy a few cheap reprint jordans.. compare the two and any fake listed jordan, mantle RC ect will then stick out like a sore thumb. You will notice the quality difference.

• Options

@RufussCkingston said:

Well every bid after $2150 came after he updated the listing. Now of course the title can't be updated once there is a bid, so there is that in the sense the seller may have thought real at the beginning (though doubtful).

The other issue is that the seller really should have ended the listing due to error and relisted, or at least cancelled out all the existing bids (if that is possible), but ebay can charge you a final value fee based on the existing high bid if you cancel a listing early, though I think you get a freebie the first time but not sure on that aspect.

I will say that I don't always read descriptions (though I sure as hell would on a $1k+ card) and only read the title and study the pics, which sometimes warrant a description reading. So there could be plausibility that the winning bidder didn't see the reprint part.. But even if the winning bidder pays, I'm sure he'd be shocked when 2 jordans are in the package.

I understand what you're saying, and I am not excusing the bidders who bid without reading the full listing...but, for something as critically important as it being a reprint? That should be in the title.

• Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

Just an opinion, but since Fleer is no longer in existence (I know, Panini owns the rights), there is nobody going after these crooks selling reprints. Even if listed as a reprint, it is an unlicensed counterfeit and holds copyright implications. What its going to take is some of these scumballs getting arrested and fined significantly. Its no different than the people on facebook and other sites selling fakes as "reprints" (as if it makes a legal difference)

The guy selling this deserves all the backlash and issues with ebay he gets

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really...reprint...$4500? Some people like to throw their money away.

I agree that it is a classic shot and he is a GOAT...but the card is not rare enough to support current price levels.

mint_only_pls
  • Options

@mintonlypls said:
    Really...reprint...$4500? Some people like to throw their money away.

I agree that it is a classic shot and he is a GOAT...but the card is not rare enough to support current price levels.

The implication is that these bidders did not see the reprint designation as it (a) was added after the auction started and (b) was buried in the details and not clearly labeled as such.

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

Seller is going to have to eat a PP fee of about $135......well done