Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Julio Rodriquez - Which RC is his "true" RC?

Hey everyone, a question.

I am curious as to everyone's opinion on what is the RC of this player? I have never collected a modern player and am utterly astounded by the sheer number of cards available for him - over 250 since 2019!

I was lucky enough to get to see him play in the minors in 2019 and is the first player since Griffey that I am genuinely enthused about. He is going to be an absolutely special player and want to start on his cards.

Any input would be most helpful.

Comments

• rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

He technically doesn’t have one yet. He has a “first bowman” which is the prospect equivalent of a rookie card.

• emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

Modern is confusing.
    If you use Trout as an example...
    '09 1st card: off the chart expensive
    '10 2nd card: not much movement
    '11 is considered his RC. Topps Traded exploded in value over the past year.

Grab a couple 1st card versions and maybe sit tight for his true RC in Topps

• Confusing is an understatement. This is hilarious to me:

2017 PANINI CONTENDERS DRAFT PICKS INTERNATIONAL TICKET AUTOGRAPH JULIO RODRIGUEZ 3 2.00
    2017 PANINI CONTENDERS DRAFT PICKS INTERNATIONAL TICKET AUTOGRAPH JULIO RODRIGUEZ DRAFT TICKET 3 2.00
    2017 PANINI ELITE EXTRA EDITION JULIO RODRIGUEZ 136 1.00
    2017 PANINI ELITE EXTRA EDITION JULIO RODRIGUEZ ASPIRATIONS-PURPLE 136 1.00
    2017 PANINI ELITE EXTRA EDITION JULIO RODRIGUEZ ASPIRATIONS-RED 136 1.00
    2017 PANINI ELITE EXTRA EDITION JULIO RODRIGUEZ AUTOGRAPH 136 2.00
    2017 PANINI ELITE EXTRA EDITION JULIO RODRIGUEZ AUTOGRAPH-ASPIRATIONS-BLUE 136 4.00
    2017 PANINI ELITE EXTRA EDITION JULIO RODRIGUEZ AUTOGRAPH-ASPIRATIONS-EMERALD 136 1.00
    2017 PANINI ELITE EXTRA EDITION JULIO RODRIGUEZ AUTOGRAPH-ASPIRATIONS-PURPLE 136 3.00
    2017 PANINI ELITE EXTRA EDITION JULIO RODRIGUEZ AUTOGRAPH-EMERALD 136 4.00
    2017 PANINI ELITE EXTRA EDITION JULIO RODRIGUEZ AUTOGRAPH-TYE-DIE 136 1.00
    2017 PANINI ELITE EXTRA EDITION FUTURE THREADS SILHOUETTES AUTOGRAPH JULIO RODRIGUEZ PURPLE JU 1.00
    2017 PANINI ELITE EXTRA EDITION FUTURE THREADS SILHOUETTES AUTOGRAPH JULIO RODRIGUEZ RED JU 4.00
    2017 PANINI ELITE EXTRA EDITION FUTURE THREADS SILHOUETTES AUTOGRAPH RELICS JULIO RODRIGUEZ RED JU 1.00
    2017 PANINI ELITE EXTRA EDITION FUTURE THREADS SILHOUETTES AUTOGRAPH RELICS JULIO RODRIGUEZ SILVER JU 1.00
    2017 PANINI ELITE EXTRA EDITION FUTURE THREADS SILHOUETTES AUTOGRAPH JULIO RODRIGUEZ SILVER

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

None of those Panini cards are licensed.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• @DBesse27 said:
    None of those Panini cards are licensed.

I copied this from the master PSA set registry set and was simply posting the sheer number of cards and variations.

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

2019 Bowman or Bowman mega would be my choice - either auto or regular RC.

• slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

As others have said, Julio does not have a true RC yet. Of the cards released so far the cards you want to get are either:

2019 Bowman #33 Julio Rodriguez Chrome Prospects - This is his "true" 1st prospect base card
    2019 Bowman #JRO Julio Rodriguez Prospect Auto Chrome -- This is his "true" 1st prospect base Auto

From these two cards you can get whatever parallel suits your fancy and budget if you want to go higher end. The most popular refractors are probably: the base Refractor, "true" Blue /150 ("true" because there is also a less popular Blue Wave to /150 parallel), Gold /50 and Red /5.

Steve

As Dan said, steer clear of the unlicensed Panini stuff. Just because it is on a registry doesn't make it a quality card to own. If you like those cards and want to enjoy them for the sake of collecting, that is one thing. If you want to own a flagship, legacy brand that will hold and/or increase in value at a better rate, then stick with Bowman Chrome.

Steve

Also, I agree that Julio is a tremendous prospect. I also like Kelenic and Marte. The Mariners appear to have a bright future.

Steve
  • Thanks for the input everyone. I'll stay away from the panini and it looks like bowman chrome is a really collectible set.

• @slum22 said:
    Also, I agree that Julio is a tremendous prospect. I also like Kelenic and Marte. The Mariners appear to have a bright future.

Another question in terms of Kelenic. I'm guessing the same would apply but 2018 Bowman Chrome? His 2017 issues are Leaf autograph issues and a single Panini issue.

edited January 20, 2021 1:14PM

@BriantheTaxGuy said:

@slum22 said:

Another question in terms of Kelenic. I'm guessing the same would apply but 2018 Bowman Chrome? His 2017 issues are Leaf autograph issues and a single Panini issue.

Yes, Kelenic's first Bowman cards came out of 2018 Bowman Draft. So if you are looking at the labels on PSA holders, his best "prospect" card would be:

2018 Bowman Draft #BDC6 Jarred Kelenic Chrome -- for his base card
    2018 Bowman Draft #CDAJK Jarred Kelenic Chrome Draft Picks Auto -- for his auto card

Like mentioned above with Julio Rodriguez, his base card and autos will also have a slew of parallels, starting with his base Refractor (unnumbered) all the way down to his Superfactor numbered 1/1.

Also note that for the base card for Julio and Kelenic that there is a "paper" base version and a "chrome" base version. The chrome version is more desirable and more valuable than the paper version as the chromes come in packs less frequently than do the paper version. In pictures, you can tell the difference because the Bowman "B" logo on the front of the card will be red for the paper version and blue for the chrome version.

I would say the popularity of the manufacturer/brands would fall as such:

Bowman >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Panini >>>>> Leaf

It is also good to know that Topps releases three Bowman products per year. Bowman is the first release, followed by Bowman Chrome and then Bowman Draft. It is then possible for a player like Julio to appear in all three releases. This is only important in that his Bowman Draft card is actually different in appearance and does not have the "1st Bowman" logo on that card. So the 2019 Bowman Draft Julio is not as popular or valuable as the BC card that was released in Bowman which carries his 1st Bowman logo. It is also important to know which release a player's auto comes in. On the off chance that you want to open a box to pull your favorite guys 1st BC auto, you will only have that chance in one of the three releases. For Julio, his autos fall in the 2019 Bowman release. For Kelenic, he is in 2018 Bowman Draft and Noelvi Marte is in 2019 Bowman Chrome.

I am not an expert on Bowman, so anyone who knows more than me can correct any errors. But I believe that is a primer on what to know when starting out collecting baseball prospects. Have fun!

Steve
  • Thanks for the walkthrough. It really is daunting to see the number of issues out there and it can be difficult to find concise (and current) data .

Thanks for putting that together - I really appreciate it.

• This is the only one to own..

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2021 4:55AM

@DBesse27

@slum22 said:
    As Dan said, steer clear of the unlicensed Panini stuff. Just because it is on a registry doesn't make it a quality card to own. If you like those cards and want to enjoy them for the sake of collecting, that is one thing. If you want to own a flagship, legacy brand that will hold and/or increase in value at a better rate, then stick with Bowman Chrome.

wait just a minute guys, you may just want to price check the panini stuff. tides basically changed overnight on some of the pajama cards.

op, i was in the same boat as you but w juan soto. i was new to the modern game, lost in the amount and names of all the different parallels/variations/refractors.

so i collected everything, including CERTAIN panini cards. by certain, i mean the ones where his pic was strategically posed to hide the lack of logos. let's just say some of the holos and optics that i picked up are now going for 1000s to 10,000s of dollars. probably have 80+ random colors on all of his rated rookie cards. let you do the math there...

turned down a $35k offer on this prizm rainbow run from another serious soto collector that might have cost me $1200 total to put together. long story short, if you believe in your guy & like the card...buy it, buy it early & buy it often.

edited January 22, 2021 4:02AM

one thing the topps brand doesn't have is the heralded "rated rookie" logo. that was enough for me to go after them alone. and i agree, they aren't for everybody and that's more than ok.

but this is why you collect what you like.

in these for less than $15 each. and that's just of the /299 color. not a lot of comps on the other colors because i pretty much have them all. follow your gut, op.

edited January 22, 2021 5:06AM

if and when he debuts, you'll wanna go after his flagship parallels or any chrome parallels that resemble the team colors. standard paper golds are hobby favorites too. but back to the team color thing, for the longest while the flagship black /67 was the hobby king. soto kinda changed that w/ his indy /76. it matches his team colors but has a higher print run. this card definitely commands more than a black these days. could also be because they don't surface anymore for some reason either! i literally tried my best to snag every single one that surfaced. think i'm up to 14 total but the last 2 have gone for well over 5 figures. trying to get half of them and that subsequent pipe dream is officially over now. 19% of the run will have to do, i guess.