Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

How does PSA Review Hand Cut Cards? Berk Ross W512s Sweedish Rekord

I have several new cards to be graded that are hand cut - some from the 1920s, 30s, and 60s. I am curious how PSA treats handcut cards with respect to their borders. Some cards have lots of margin cut around the cards while others are cut right at the border line. Is it better to leave lots of border or does PSA want to see right up to a defined border line cut?

Here are some real-world examples with questions...

This one is currently uncut - how far around the border should be cut?

This one still has perforations that could be removed. Should they be?

A card like Berk Ross - where it's a double... what's the highest grade PSA will give for a single from the double?

Scott

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

I don't think there's a limit on how high a single from a Berk Ross double can grade. Here's the only one that I have, and I imagine that as long as you don't take scissors to the perforation, they'll grade it the same as any card.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2021 1:44PM

@scottfishvan said:
    This one still has perforations that could be removed. Should they be?

I would trim just outside the dots to clean it up. Since there won't be full dots on the right edge, it may still only garner an Auth, but the eye appeal would be greatly improved.

A card like Berk Ross - where it's a double... what's the highest grade PSA will give for a single from the double?

I personally have a 7 w/no qualifier. The problem with most of the Berk Ross is the fronts and backs are usually misaligned and as either a single or double will get tagged with the MC qualifier.

I'm not positive on the Rekord Journal, but would think pretty tight around the "cards". If it was solid green all the way around, there might be more leeway. For my 52 Wheaties, I like a thin blue border all the way around including the rounded corners, but PSA will grade square cut also and doesn't seem to impact the grade significantly either way.

ETA: Out of curiosity, I just checked the Berk Ross pop. Zero 10s from the entire set so far w/a greater than 10% chance of getting a qualifier.