Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1993 Derek Jeter SP PSA 9

If anyone hasn't kept up with this card in the past year, they were selling at about the 6500-7K range back around November and even December. Fast forward to the past week where the last two sales were for 10K and $10,800. Not even when his HOF announcement came out did his cards shoot up this high. Probably due to everyone already speculating that he was a lock. The real question at that time was will he get in unanimously and the fact that he didn't (which was mind boggling) never gave him that extra bump in price with his cards so was so much deserved I felt.

Now back to the 1993 SP PSA 9. Asking prices across the board have risen literally overnight with just about everyone now pricing there's at 50K w/ BO. PWCC Vault currently has the cheapest at the moment which is at 25K w/ a BO option. I wonder what the lowest that seller would accept but one this is for certain, they wont be accepting 7 to 10K now. I am going to say that 20K will be the new norm on this card in that grade. I have mentioned in the past that the 1993 SP PSA 9 is the baseball equivalent to the 1986 Fleer MJ and it only makes sense when you the PSA 10's selling somewhere as low as 175K and 200+. When the 9's were selling at 7K, I always felt it was still underpriced considering that probably less than 1% of collectors out there out of all who really want this card can actually afford a 10.

Will these possible sales at 20K begin to happen? Especially as we get closer to his actual ceremony which was postponed last year to to obvious reasons but is expected to resume in 2021. Either way, it's exciting to see cards like this go up in price. If you own a 9, buckle up for the ride and for those who own 8's or don't have one yet, I would seriously consider jumping on one as you can expect to see increases really soon with this one.

Comments

• maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two sales from the PWCC vault doesn't carry much weight in my eyes. The increase in the asking prices are optimistic at best.

• addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

i picked up a few 8.5 before the 9’s hit 5 figs. gonna try and bump them. prices are unbelievable right now.

• pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2021 6:55PM

BBCE currently has a box listed at 5k...after looking at eBay I see there are several around this price point as well

• VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

Those boxes can’t be has for 5k anymore. They are going up by the hour

• VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2021 3:47PM

Best offer on eBay sold for 16K a few nights ago. Then last night, another on myslabs sold also at 16K. One with bids on the bay right now is currently at $14,900 with 5 Days still to go. Looks like 20K is knocking at the door. Unbelievable.

• Said it before and I'll say it again... This kind of price appreciation is not rational. I do get that the SP auth series is limited but still...

Also, I know I'm a Red Sox fan and might be considered bias, but Jeter should not have been unanimous for the HoF. Mariano Rivera, absolutely. The difference for me is dominance. Rivera dominated his era even with rampant PED use and was possibly (imo, he absolutely was) the greatest relief pitcher of all time. Jeter didn't even really dominate his position although I would never attempt to argue he isn't deserving of the Hall... He was a definite first ballot, no eyes rolled, shoe in!

• 82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2021 6:17AM

Hi,

There are players and certain cards of theirs that transcend recorded statistics. It appears the 1993 SP Jeter in high grade is one of those. Makes sense as children of the 90's with great memories want a card that defines their era, for many of them it's the 93 SP Jeter.

For it's time of production it's a one of the few legitimately difficult cards to find in high grade. Then Supply and Demand takes over.

For many Children of the 90s the 93 SP Jeter may become a symbol of their generation or in effect their 52 Mantle, 65 Namath, 68 Ryan, 86 Jordon. Speaking of Ryan and Namath 2 examples of those who's recorded stats simply do not tell the whole story

Still I look at an auction like this and I'm not sure why but just seems "fishy" of course I had similar reactions when the card first started to command 5k

https://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/254835491871?item=254835491871&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

Of course this is only my first post so I don't expect to be taken all that seriously :)

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2021 5:34PM

Prices that go up to fast tend to go back down unless true blue chip items like say the 52 Topps Mantle. I would sell at these prices I mean cards that just are so plentiful.

Collecting interests: Mexico & Peru early milled 1 reales + 1796-1891 US dimes

Sports: NHL & NFL

Thank you Lord for another beautiful day!!!

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:
    Still I look at an auction like this and I'm not sure why but just seems "fishy" of course I had similar reactions when the card first started to command 5k

I don't see anything fishy with the bids themselves. Only looking at the bidders over $15k, one stands out "n***n (705)" w/8 bid retractions in the past 12 months, the other two look clean. Nothing I can see wrong with the seller, 1 bad feedback doesn't deter me on 226 positive, and they've been around a long time.

I do find the $1.80 shipping on a $15k plus card to be pretty humorous though.

edited January 20, 2021 5:46PM

@KingOfMorganDollar said:
    Prices that go up to fast tend to go back down unless true blue chip items like say the 52 Topps Mantle. I would sell at these prices I mean cards that just are so plentiful.

The 1993 SP Derek Jeter is a "true" blue chip card. If you don't consider it a blue chip, then you haven't been paying attention.

• PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2021 6:09PM

@Vagabond said:

@KingOfMorganDollar said:

The 1993 SP Derek Jeter is a "true" blue chip card. If you don't consider it a blue chip, then you haven't been paying attention.

I know it is but anything lower than a PSA 9 to me is just way to common. Jordan 86 Fleer as well. I have been around since the late 1980's this is due to panic and people been bored at home because of the virus (no more dining out and on and on). It will slow down a lot once the vaccine gets out. I am to old school to me anything after the 1960's is modern ''junk''. There are a few exceptions like 1979 Gretzky but any hockey after that goes in my ''junk'' container. Hey my favorite player was Mario Lemieux and I consider his card from 1985 nothing special way way to common. I do not care how dominant the player is/was. But hey that is me I rather own a 1951 Bowman Mays or Mantle any day.

Now the 1985 Star Jordan #101 rookie to me is special.

Collecting interests: Mexico & Peru early milled 1 reales + 1796-1891 US dimes

Sports: NHL & NFL

Thank you Lord for another beautiful day!!!

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

not a 9, but i'm glad i didn't wait to pick up a signed version til he got in:

edited September 21, 2023 7:08PM

@LarkinCollector said:

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:

I don't see anything fishy with the bids themselves. Only looking at the bidders over $15k, one stands out "n***n (705)" w/8 bid retractions in the past 12 months, the other two look clean. Nothing I can see wrong with the seller, 1 bad feedback doesn't deter me on 226 positive, and they've been around a long time.

I do find the $1.80 shipping on a $15k plus card to be pretty humorous though.

The 1.80 is hilarious

1993 Topps Gold is on the move as well!

• ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't doubt this SP Jeter card hits 100k in a couple years in PSA 9 .....I'd be grabbing up Topps Gold and the Upper Deck Gold Hologram..... IF YOU CAN FIND 'EM.... nice topic!

edited September 21, 2023 7:08PM

That new one posted which is already at 17K has a lot of suspicious bids. I'm going to say that those are bids with the intention of not really purchasing but more like a last ditch effort in hopes of raising the price of the one that's about to end. Same thing happened with the 86 Jordan PSA 10. Lots of fake bids and retractions but the card certainly gained a lot of attention and now it really sells for over 250K apparently. I have no doubt we'll see 300K this year at this speed and perhaps even more.

As for the Jeter SP in a PSA 9 hitting 100K, I would say wishful thinking but I don't see that happening. At least not at this moment. I can see it however reaching 40 and maybe even 50K which is still amazing. Especially after some sold for 7K as recent as November and December. Think of all the folks who sold those for that price and less this past year. They must be kicking themselves right now. For anyone tempted to sell theirs, that can certainly be a tough decision but I would say to hold onto your if you have one. Things are going to get even crazier.

• stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let me get out my pocket change lol.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

All of Jeters cards are exploding...check out Topps and Pinnacle prices!!

• emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

@pjb103183 said:

Last year, just as cards started the bull run, 4 sharp corners put up a gold for $1400. Almost bought it then decided not too.
    Kicking myself

@emar said:

@pjb103183 said:

Last year, just as cards started the bull run, 4 sharp corners put up a gold for $1400. Almost bought it then decided not too.
    Kicking myself

I see the 9s getting there in the not so distant future...7s and 8s will rise considerably as well

• emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

@pjb103183 said:

Amazing. Stadium club $2k. Topps quadrupled since end of last year.
    I think I paid $600 for my pinnacle

edited January 24, 2021 7:41PM

@emar said:

@pjb103183 said:

Amazing. Stadium club $2k. Topps quadrupled since end of last year.
    I think I paid $600 for my pinnacle

I sold my self subbed pinnacle years ago for $250 🤢

edited January 24, 2021 8:35PM

https://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/254835491871?item=254835491871&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565
    21K final price. My guess was off by about 11%.

This will be a fun ride. Man I'm glad I sold those 2 Terrell Davis cards back in the late 90's to fund that raw (then later graded PSA 9) purchase.

• mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2021 10:57PM

I can see PSA-10s (0.12% POP) selling for $500k given the scarcity and having played for the Yankees. He is also very likable and seems clean cut. This rise in PSA-10s will probably pull his PSA-9s close to $100k w/time. Sportscards are an alternative investment now...with a track record of showing good returns on high end cards.

mint_only_pls
    edited January 25, 2021 6:19AM

@mintonlypls said:
    I can see PSA-10s (0.12% POP) selling for $500k given the scarcity and having played for the Yankees. He is also very likable and seems clean cut. This rise in PSA-10s will probably pull his PSA-9s close to $100k w/time. Sportscards are an alternative investment now...with a track record of showing good returns on high end cards.

Agreed.

Playing for the Yankees of course helped as well as avoiding true controversy and though of as DiMaggio type classy (never met Derek so have to go by what is written). Still those are only tiny pieces of the puzzle that is the 1993 SP Jeter becoming the symbol card of a generation. In my opinion of course.

Some players transcend a game but it also takes a card that is difficult to obtain. 1993 SP was a normal large print run set of it's day even if low printed than regular Upper Deck. The true scarcity (relative of course) is the amount of the Foil Jeter card in PSA 9 or 10 compared to PSA 8 or below. The numbers graded in PSA 8 are staggeringly high. 9 and 10 are very, very tiny in respect.

For 1993 set one would expect the number of 8's would be the 9's and 9's the 10's however the FOIL had large impact on condition. It was not an intended scarce card in Mint which is part of the magic.

My feeling is there should be no premium on the 93 SP Jeter in PSA8 compared to rest of his rookie cards, the premium on 9's and 10's are totally justified. Although I suspect the 8's will ride the coattails of 9's as long as the card is even semi-hot.

Blue-chip sports cards especially in highest grade possible have beat the SP500 for decades, however cards like the 93 SP Jeter, 86 Jordan etc are exceptions in the din. The 93 SP Jeter in PSA9/10 is a convergence of many factors not easily duplicated

edited January 30, 2021 7:10PM

23.5K On the latest 1993 SP 9 on eBay. Appears 20k+ is the current normal. Logically 25k+ is just around the corner.

In my first post on this topic I had doubts but now I see this is the "standard" issue Card of the 1990's and in PSA9 or higher the Jordonesque card of that generation

RIP Henry "Hank" Aaron

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/12/investing/baseball-cards-markets/index.html

Perhaps a contributing factor to why the 1993 SP Jeter in PSA9 has been on the rise. Going rate now $23-24K.