Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Complaint About YouTube Pack Rips - Old Gum

I get it. Old packs have gross old gum. Does EVERY vintage pack ripper have to make a comment EVERY time they open a vintage pack about the gum being gross? The whole “I’m crazy enough to chew this” Shtick is getting old too. You are not a bad ass for chewing 1986 OPC Hockey gum. Just dumb.

Between that and these people having no idea how to pronounce half the names of the players has forced me to mute the streams.

Runner up to these doofeses are the rippers who scream about how hard it is to open PSA pack clam shells as they flail wildly with their pliers.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
Kiss me twice.....let's party.

Comments

• Options
    nendeenendee Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

Assume you’re talking about the JustRipIt guy?

Cubs and Purdue Fan - Ouch!

My collecting blog: http://ctcard.wordpress.com
  • Options

Totally agreed, especially when they can't pronounce names correctly

• Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

I love it when they eat the old gum, but I agree it bothers me a little when they can’t pronounce anybody’s name.

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

1973 Topps.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    My thoughts and comments do not really reflect anything from YT, but since we are talking about gum in wax & cello’s, let me take you back in time to the year of 1987. I bought/purchased a 5 wax pack lot from a company in San Diego, these baseball wax packs were 77-78-79-80-81 and purchased these packs with a money order since I was a little too young to own a credit card and way before the days of Paypal. When those wax packs and as with other cards that arrived (I can remember that day like it was yesterday)
    I decided to open the 81’s first and work backwards as I opened the first pack, the gum seemed somewhat good and I thought myself: well that can’t be too bad the gum is only 6 years old so while I am chewing on the 6 year old gum, and going through the pack of 81’s, let’s just say the gum was better that that wax pack break. The gum in the 79 & 80 wax pack almost disintegrated into a pink dust, the 80 Pitching Leaders w/ Richard-Ryan did have a gum stains on the face; that was a disappointment for me; by the time I got to open the 77 & 78 wax packs, I had to spit out that 1981 gum; my typing can’t really describe on how that gum felt. The cool one for me in the 77 wax pack was TBC 1952 with Ralph Kiner and in the 78 wax pack was Eddie Murray, both of those two are still here today. I do not have the hart/heart to get rid of those two.
    As I stop and look back at those days: “Those days a far and few between, those were very special days for me” Some people may think to themselves and say, “ I wish I still had those cards from my wax pack days” You may not have those cards anymore, but those memories will last your lifetime.
    Thank you

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

@nam812 said:
    1973 Topps.

Beautiful cards! :D

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

funny thing is that it really didn't taste that better when it was "fresh".

now, that donruss puzzle gum was definitely the grossest. what a terrible idea!

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bobbybakeriv said:

@nam812 said:
    1973 Topps.

Stunningly beautiful set. The horizontal action shots alone are worth multiple accolades.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

I agree, it gets old. It's like being a Cubs fan and up until 2016, every Cardinals fan wanted to bring up the same joke about it being 100 years since winning a World Series. They all thought they were being original and expected you to react like you've never heard it before.

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@bobbybakeriv said:

@nam812 said:
    1973 Topps.

Stunningly beautiful set. The horizontal action shots alone are worth multiple accolades.

Experts seem to disagree:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sabrbaseballcards.blog/2020/04/21/1973-ugliest-topps-baseball-set-ever/amp/

• Options

@Nathaniel1960 said:

@grote15 said:

@bobbybakeriv said:

@nam812 said:
    1973 Topps.

Experts seem to disagree:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sabrbaseballcards.blog/2020/04/21/1973-ugliest-topps-baseball-set-ever/amp/

Van Gogh was a failure as an artist before the world understood how magnificent he really was.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:>
    Van Gogh was a failure as an artist before the world understood how magnificent he really was.

Do you want to compare this set to one of the most talented artists of all time? We are nearly 50 years since these cards hit shelves. If they were going to be be "understood" it would be by now. In addition, things like lousy photography (which riddle this set) aren't issues of interpretation.

It's even more telling when you compare the sets immediately before and after this set. The vibrancy and color saturating of both the '72 and '74 sets far exceed this issue.

• Options

@Nathaniel1960 said:
    I get it. Old packs have gross old gum. Does EVERY vintage pack ripper have to make a comment EVERY time they open a vintage pack about the gum being gross? The whole “I’m crazy enough to chew this” Shtick is getting old too. You are not a bad ass for chewing 1986 OPC Hockey gum. Just dumb.

Between that and these people having no idea how to pronounce half the names of the players has forced me to mute the streams.

Runner up to these doofeses are the rippers who scream about how hard it is to open PSA pack clam shells as they flail wildly with their pliers.

It's a shtick and like you, it's annoying and rubs me the wrong way when people go to the well too often for the same material. But I am sure there are plenty of people who love it.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did a deep dive into the "rip" phenomena on youtube for the past year or so.

While I find the rip of vintage both interesting and at times entertaining? I do wonder about the entire market - both new and vintage packs.

Is this "fad" or "future?"

My wife came in one evening while I was watching Jabs and asked: "why would you pay someone to open your 'own' cards?" Good question.

I believe it has a clique following where participants talk to each other and provide comment on what they pulled e.g. Moreover, IMO, some of the participants on Jabs Family e.g., have little to no knowledge of the hobby outside of what they see on his site.

And some serious coin is being spent on sites like Layton Sports, Jaspys, Jabs Family, Vintage Breaks...just to name a few.

And some fun gambling goes on with Phil's Pulls - retired ML pitcher Phil Hughes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LClgjWYj2ko&t=268s

Mike
  • Options

@Stone193 said:
    I did a deep dive into the "rip" phenomena on youtube for the past year or so.

While I find the rip of vintage both interesting and at times entertaining? I do wonder about the entire market - both new and vintage packs.

Is this "fad" or "future?"

My wife came in one evening while I was watching Jabs and asked: "why would you pay someone to open your 'own' cards?" Good question.

It's not just card collecting where this phenomenon has taken hold - famously there's a kid who makes tens of millions of dollars for opening and reviewing toys.

Pokemon pack rips are garnering hundreds of thousands to millions of views each month.

What drives it? I suspect its the same living-vicariously-through-others that drives any of these peripheral activities: fantasy sports and sports betting generally, even watching others play poker on TV.

I wouldn't say it's either a fad or the future: its the culture and has been for quite some time.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2021 12:03PM

@BriantheTaxGuy said:

@grote15 said:>
    Van Gogh

In addition, things like lousy photography (which riddle this set) aren't issues of interpretation.

It's even more telling when you compare the sets immediately before and after this set. The vibrancy and color saturating of both the '72 and '74 sets far exceed this issue.

The sets with lousy photography are most everything from before 1971. The 1973 set is loaded with great photography. I also don’t see how the 1974 set, which I also love, is any more “vibrant” than 1973.

• Options
  • Options

Worth noting that just like the 1971 Munson card, the Corrales card features a collision at the plate involving a pitcher (Fergie Jenkins). The good old days!

• Options

I read the article declaring the set to have ugly photography. I’m not a photographer, and perhaps it isn’t the best from a technical photography standpoint, I wouldn’t know. But certainly from a compositional standpoint, it’s got a lot of great shots.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    Lousy photography?

Yes. Lousy color, in particular, the portrait shots.

But that is what is great about cards - everyone has their favorites. To me, the 73 set is by far the worst set of the 1970s and to me, it's not a close race.

• Options

I was being facetious, of course, but I do like the 73 set overall and agree with Dave. The action shots are terrific and the black and gold reverses, when found in mint condition, really pop, imo. Every year has its fair share of boring portrait shots and 1973 is no different in that regard, but overall, the photography in that set is above average and it's not really debatable on that count.

• Options
    BriantheTaxGuyBriantheTaxGuy Posts: 209 ✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2021 1:17PM

edit: never mind. Not worth debating.

• Options
    nendeenendee Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

Let the rippers keep ripping. Less unopened the better ;)

Cubs and Purdue Fan - Ouch!

My collecting blog: http://ctcard.wordpress.com
  • Options

@nendee said:
    Let the rippers keep ripping. Less unopened the better ;)

I second that notion!

• Options
    1all1all Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

What annoys me more than some dude mispronouncing John Wockenfuss is when they set aside the "hits" and completely skip over HOF cards. "Whelp, no hall of famers - that was a dud". I want to grab the guy by the throat and say Don Sutton and Bruce Sutter are freaking HOFers you dumb a$$!

• Options
    1all1all Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

...... or of course the guys who think they are funnier than they really are. "Next we have Ross Grimsley, not to be confused with Diana Ross" .... hahaha.

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

I may have found the worst (or best) of the bunch. It checks all the boxes.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=92KtufrgFZQ