Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Rare 1928-B W-A block $1SC mislabelled by Heritage as $75 note

synchrsynchr Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 21, 2021 5:02PM in U.S. & World Currency Forum

Ooops!
These early notes are super rare and Heritage didn't even identify it.
Remarkably bad ad copy

https://currency.ha.com/itm/small-size/silver-certificates/fr-1602-1-1928b-silver-certificate-w-a-block-pmg-choice-uncirculated-63-epq/a/142103-83455.s?

Comments

• luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

Going for 15x that right now.

• Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 418 ✭✭✭

Heritage has a pretty loyal client base of serious currency collectors. I doubt that it is imperative for them to list accurate estimates (& I'd be even more surprised if anyone of them were influenced by their estimates- esp after having seen so many lofty hammer results for the majority of their auctions).

• synchrsynchr Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2021 9:56AM

Not recognizing one of the Key notes to the series makes it seem more plausible that perhaps a lazy employee or a junior member of the staff is writing ad copy now. Several other Heritage ads do not mention rarity and state nothng more than parroting back the grade. This is a trend I hope reverses itself for smallsize $1 SCs - or are these now the black swan of collecting?

Here is an excellent description by Heritage as their bp 629 $5 SCs in Gem CU are super rare
    https://currency.ha.com/itm/small-size/silver-certificates/fr-1653-5-1934c-mule-silver-certificate-with-back-plate-629-pmg-choice-uncirculated-64-epq/a/3581-20560.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

Why are the $5 SCs so loveed and the $1 SCs shunned?

• tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭

I would think that the consignor would make a notation or something else in the lot that was being sold about the rarity of specific notes to avoid something like this.

I heard someone else saying the same thing; that they insist on writing the ad descriptions for their HA submitted auction items. I've never consigned anything to HA, so had no experience

edited March 21, 2021 5:00PM

Yet another piece of uninformed ad copy where a note is casually estimated as a "nothing special price" of $75-$100,
    yet this is a really scarce 1928-B VA block, which is a super rare variety

Is there anyone who knows currency at Heritage anymore or are they diminishing the hobby's emphasis by their weak auction descriptions? SMH
    https://currency.ha.com/itm/silver-certificates/fr-1602-1-1928b-silver-certificate-pmg-gem-uncirculated-66-epq/a/142105-81388.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515

• Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

@synchr , have you attempted to contact Dustin about these listings ?

edited March 22, 2021 2:09AM

No, I'm not sure Heritage cares.
    They are a massive machine and quality dilution naturally follows. I would hate to consigned with HA and expect a reasonable ad description. A complete lack of sales ability there on two notes totalling over $4,000.00 in value. The only reason they got that high was becasue I bid them up

I keep noticing that HA ads are nothing like they were just a few years ago; there are no population numbers, no rarity valuations, no details at all. SImply a TPG name and grade is all you get.

Both adverts above had zero thought put into them. Over the years we've seen HA raise fees but it was always on the pretense of improved service.
    The factual examples above show that service for sellers has actually declined at Heritage Auctions as costs were raised

edited March 22, 2021 2:05AM

@tomtomtomtom said:
    I would think that the consignor would make a notation or something else in the lot that was being sold about the rarity of specific notes to avoid something like this.

I just attempted to consign 40 small size notes with Heritage and I inquired about submitting ad copy for each of my notes. Craig E responded like a deer in the headlights - he had never heard of any seller submitting ad descriptions and it was not permitted.

Looks like Heritage is "streamlining" services to facilitate throughput and all sellers ads will simply get a TPG name and Grade of the note.

The Good Ole Days are gone ...

• tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2021 3:56AM

I know a few collections that were represented by someone that you and I know. He wrote all the desriptions along with the notes and were included in the HA catalog as he described. I guess it's who does the submitting rather than just a good customer.

@synchr said:

@tomtomtomtom said:

I just attempted to consign 40 small size notes with Heritage and I inquired about submitting ad copy for each of my notes. Craig E responded like a deer in the headlights - he had never heard of any seller submitting ad descriptions and it was not permitted.

Looks like Heritage is "streamlining" services to facilitate throughput and all sellers ads will simply get a TPG name and Grade of the note.

The Good Ole Days are gone ...

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

@synchr said:
    I'm not sure Heritage cares.

Most likely your right.

• luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

Seeing the same on early FRN stars.

Very rare notes with virtually ZERO description.

https://currency.ha.com/itm/federal-reserve-notes/fr-2002-l-10-1928b-federal-reserve-star-note-very-fine/a/141806-81405.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515

Mega rare note, yet ZERO mention, and note sold for a song.