Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

GAI to PSA Crossover - Any Experiences

Was wondering if anyone has had any experiences, good or bad, on getting some of the older GAI graded cards and crossing them over into PSA. Some of their 7s, 8s and up look pretty decent. Based on the amounts they sell for, it generally doesnt seem too promising, however some are tempting to pick up at a reasonable price and hope for a comparable crossover grade. . Ive also seen or read some of their grading was better early on and got worse over time, any way to know how that all worked.. Any experiences or thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

I would crack and just take my chances on the ones that you want to cross...... examine closely and go for it. I do not think it would be worthwhile to send in slabbed....crack and go!

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

**Definitely **crack first. I have sent in many GAI graded cards and you can most likely expect a grade lower. I have actually cracked and submitted at least ten GAI 9.5s and not one has graded above PSA 9. I have had a few GAIs that did stay the same grade. Most recently (i.e., popped on 11/03), I submitted a GAI 9.5 and GAI 9 1977 Topps Rod Carew and they both came back PSA 9.

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

My one attempt resulted in a one grade drop. It was a 9 and I knew it was iffy to grade a 9. Came back an 8 which I was fine with as the centering was borderline.

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

Just in case you're interested....

• Options

Nice looking cards, thank you - and to all for all your comments.

• Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭

What about crossing over GAI packs? Has anyone had experience doing that?

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

@RedHeart54 said:
    What about crossing over GAI packs? Has anyone had experience doing that?

i just sent two in...one was gai 8 and it became psa 8.
    the other was gai 8.5 and that one became psa 7

• Options
    sjjs28sjjs28 Posts: 445 ✭✭✭✭

Were the GAI packs 00 or 01 serials? My understanding is that they are the only serials that are "good"

Steve Saldutti
    sjjs28@comcast.net
    Collector of 1964 Topps Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game and 1969 Topps Decals
    Registered Sets: 1964 Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game, 1969 Topps Decals
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2021 8:25PM

I’ve crossed a few and most cross at one grade under, and I believe everyone that I have tried has crossed.

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2021 10:53PM

I have had two experiences submitting GAI cards to PSA...one eventually okay and the other not. I broke both GAI cards out before submitting to PSA.

First...the bad experience: 1964 Pete Rose GAI-9 purchased in a Mile High Auction. It came back minimum size requirement by PSA. I subsequently sent to SGC and Beckett. Both companies stated that it was trimmed. I don't own the card anymore.

Second...the okay experience: 1968 Johnny Bench GAI-9.5 also purchased in a Mile High Auction. It came back a PSA-8. I cracked it out of the PSA holder and sent it back to PSA again. The second time...it came back a PSA-9. I do not own the card anymore either.

I only purchase PSA cards now! The fact that GAI is out of business says something about their reputation.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the general consensus is the earlier graded GAI stuff was "ok", as I believe they poached some PSA graders and their stuff was respected. but they fell off over time and stuff was routinely found minsize or trimmed in the later holders.

someone correct me if im wrong, just reciting stuff ive learned/read over the years. I have no actual direct experience with GAI.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2021 11:30PM

@sjjs28 said:
    Were the GAI packs 00 or 01 serials? My understanding is that they are the only serials that are "good"

Most GAI packs with silver flips (cert numbers 1000XXX through 103XXX) are perfectly fine, though each pack should be evaluated based on its own merits and attributes. I have not had any issues crossing legit GAI packs to PSA, often at the same grade or just slightly lower grade.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    tonylagstonylags Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

@dictoresno said:
    I think the general consensus is the earlier graded GAI stuff was "ok", as I believe they poached some PSA graders and their stuff was respected. but they fell off over time and stuff was routinely found minsize or trimmed in the later holders.

someone correct me if im wrong, just reciting stuff ive learned/read over the years. I have no actual direct experience with GAI.

So I have a lot of it' early stuff graded by MIke Baker; I've sold some on ebay and had no complaints. But than I'm an ordinary person and didn't get any special favors.

I have to much S**t; so if you working on sets or are a player/team collector, send me your want list, with conditions desired. Keep in mind I have a another job so please allow me a few days to respond.

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

@sjjs28 said:
    Were the GAI packs 00 or 01 serials?

the serial number on my two gai packs were
    10371356 and 10327443

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its all a crap shoot. GAI used to send back PSA graded cards as trimmed. Its all about competition.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21