Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Trying to understand the mindset of buyers that click BIN but won't pay

frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am trying to understand something. Why do buyers click the BIN button on Ebay but then won't pay? And then, you send messages and they won't even reply?

I don't have this problem as a card seller. It very rarely happens to me. However, my wife, believe it or not, is becoming a little bit of a "sneaker head". It's kind of neat to witness actually. I am 46 years old, and I have a couple of pair of Air Jordan's. I had originals playing high school basketball and have always loved the nostalgia of it. In the past, she really didn't even like me even having them. She likes plain shoes that are not flashy. But all of the sudden last year my younger brother kind of got into sneakers.....

... stopping my typing right this second to say... my wife's Ebay notification on her phone just went off. She just sold a pair of Air Jordan 13's and made about $50 profit on them. She just came in here smiling and all excited about it! The reason she was so excited is because the buyer paid immediately, which is rare. This just now happened. Now back to my post...

So I was saying that my younger brother is into sneakers and got us into it a little bit. She has a lot of luck "winning" limited shoes on the Nike Snkrs App.

With baseball cards, like I said earlier, I hardly ever have a problem with buyers not paying. With her Ebay sales on sneakers, approximately 60% of her "sales" never pay. And then they won't reply to messages. She probably sends 2 or 3 messages over a few days. She then has to cancel and relist.

I would like your opinions on this. What is the mindset of "buyers" doing that? Why would someone waste their time searching for shoes and clicking the BIN, and then not pay? Some "buyers" will even ask questions, get an answer, "buy", then not pay? She has perfect feedback and ships immediately with feedback rating of 193.

I just don't get it.

Shane

Comments

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

Not any buyer insight, but there should be an option for BIN that forces the seller to pay immediately or it won't be "reserved" for them. I would look into that to avoid this problem.

• Options

@baz518 said:
    Not any buyer insight, but there should be an option for BIN that forces the seller to pay immediately or it won't be "reserved" for them. I would look into that to avoid this problem.

We have looked into that. She has this option selected on every listing, but it doesn't seem to work properly. She still has this problem.

Shane

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

People still try to use the "my kid bought this" excuse believe it or not to request a cancelation. At least come up with a new excuse!

Another great one I've run into is they make an offer, confirm their offer, I auto accept, they then pay, and more than likely have to confirm during paying as well, and then immediately request a cancelation because it was an accident?!?! How do you go through that many confirmations accidentally!

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

Frankly, I am amazed that more ebay buyers don't screw ebay sellers more often.

There are plenty of a holes out there and ebay wants them all to be able to buy and/or sell so they get their fees.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could it be a competitor trying to get hers off the market?

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nam812 said:
    Could it be a competitor trying to get hers off the market?

That's my guess.

• Options

Good call. That's is a very good possibility.

Shane

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe the "buyer" had a flip deal in mind and their buyer deal fell through. I've had a few in person deals where, after an agreed price, the buyer said I'll be back tomorrow. You guessed it, never saw them again. So it happens on line and in person.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t understand it. Buy it now means buy it now. I always pay at the same moment.

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

@brad31
    Don’t understand it. Buy it now means buy it now. I always pay at the same moment.

Auction also. Maybe I'm old-school: You bid, you win, you pay. Too many times of non-payment, wait 4 days, relist item (now there is 100 of them instead of 25) and realize a lower value sale.

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

@dustinspeaks said:
    It's not sold till you have the cash. I have clicked buy it now like 3 times in the past year and not paid. Sometimes I change my mind. I don't think the item gets reserved. I have checked. The stuff always still appears in my searches. It should be the same as adding an item to your cart.

There is an option that makes the buyer pay immediately. I used it for a while. But, it just caused problems. People would try to add things to their cart and request a total. But with that option enabled, they can't do that.

Also, really, the item isn't sold till it's shipped. Or in your hands. It's a gray area. I bought something the other day and paid for it. Then the seller cancelled the sale and refunded me. So, I guess I didn't really buy it.

I have sold stuff that I regretted selling. I could have cancelled. I didn't. It might be a character flaw. Shouldn't I be as big an ahole as everyone else?

You can't negative feedback a buyer. They removed that option like 10 years ago.

Also, the number of notifications that eBay sends is way too high. And a lot of them are advertising. I don't need them sending advertising to my phone as a notification.

And this kind of attitude, folks, is why we are where we are today as a society.

"Shouldn't I be as big an ahole as everyone else?"

Where do you even start with a statement like that?

Any chance you would be willing to share your Ebay id?

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dustinspeaks said:
    It's not sold till you have the cash. I have clicked buy it now like 3 times in the past year and not paid. Sometimes I change my mind. I don't think the item gets reserved. I have checked. The stuff always still appears in my searches. It should be the same as adding an item to your cart.

There is an option that makes the buyer pay immediately. I used it for a while. But, it just caused problems. People would try to add things to their cart and request a total. But with that option enabled, they can't do that.

Also, really, the item isn't sold till it's shipped. Or in your hands. It's a gray area. I bought something the other day and paid for it. Then the seller cancelled the sale and refunded me. So, I guess I didn't really buy it.

I have sold stuff that I regretted selling. I could have cancelled. I didn't. It might be a character flaw. Shouldn't I be as big an ahole as everyone else?

You can't negative feedback a buyer. They removed that option like 10 years ago.

Also, the number of notifications that eBay sends is way too high. And a lot of them are advertising. I don't need them sending advertising to my phone as a notification.

this is a terrible take and indicative of the problem at large. you sir, need to "make up your mind" before you hit buy it now and not act the part of a teenaged girl and change it after you commit to buy.

no excuses. be a grown up and honor your commitments. good grief.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    GansetttimeGansetttime Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

I just think people are getting caught up in the moment, and then get buyers remorse. Current market conditions are ripe for it. A lot of new people are entering with no knowledge of what they are buying. Happens to me on occasion. I just credit and relist. Thankfully I'm selling low priced stuff.
    And yes, I feel your frustration too!

• Options

@dustinspeaks said:
    If you can cancel my transaction after I pay and before you ship. I can press all the buttons I want and not pay.

not talking about that man. talking about acting like a grown up and honoring your commitments. just because you "can" do something doesn't mean you should. don't you take some pride in honoring your word? does that not mean anything anymore?

what other people do should have no impact on your own personal moral compass.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

@dustinspeaks said:

this is a terrible take and indicative of the problem at large. you sir, need to "make up your mind" before you hit buy it now and not act the part of a teenaged girl and change it after you commit to buy.

no excuses. be a grown up and honor your commitments. good grief.

Sometimes you see people that appear here and think to yourself "this person sounds like an a hole" then sometimes they prove you right.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    professorpuckprofessorpuck Posts: 148 ✭✭✭

You can change your ebay settings to require immediate payment when buyers click BIN. Solves the problem.

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn’t read all the posts but the BIN no pay is typically to set a new high price or confirm a new high price. The amount of price manipulation on eBay is mind blowing, fake sales everywhere to lock in new highs.

• Options

@80sOPC said:
    Didn’t read all the posts but the BIN no pay is typically to set a new high price or confirm a new high price. The amount of price manipulation on eBay is mind blowing, fake sales everywhere to lock in new highs.

If that's the case, then that would not fit the reason of my wife having so many non payers. My wife gets a pair of sneakers and researches what the going rate is and she tries to move them on the low end of the range of sales. She is not setting her prices high enough for that to be the reason.

Shane

• Options

@dustinspeaks said:
    But if I don't, I'm in a position where it gets done to me but I don't do it to anyone. Then it doesn't even out.

I would never do the evil shit that has been done to me to other people. I have had unthinkable evil shit done to me.

If someone pressing buy it now is the biggest shit you have to be mad about you're in a pretty good place.

this has gone way over your head and you have completely missed the point. the point is not so much about the non paying ebay buyer, but about honoring your commitments and acting like an adult, not making sure all the bad stuff done to you gets evened out by the bad stuff you do to others. it is about being an upstanding human being and having some honor in your business dealings.

by reading your words, I will hazard a guess that you are probably pretty young and inexperienced at life.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

no need to attempt to "understand" them, just stop it from happening.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think we figured out some of the "buyers" who do that in this thread. Wow!

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

And so it ends?

(I'll edit and change the question mark to a period when it happens.)

• Options

@blurryface said:
    no need to attempt to "understand" them, just stop it from happening.

She has this checked. Some have said that the problem may be with best offers. We are looking into that. Thanks for the help.

Shane

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes, best offers can not do this however, instead of accepting the offer, i go in and change it to the agreeable price as a "counter" thereby locking in their payment/commitment vs straight countering. if after an hour they haven't completed it, then i go and change it back.

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

As Mark Twain wrote, " There are more horses' asses than there are horses".

• Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    And so it ends?

There appears to be some holes in this thread.
    I can't quite follow the convo

• Options
    professorpuckprofessorpuck Posts: 148 ✭✭✭

Boys, you may be being trolled.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    And so it ends?

And so it ends.

• Options

Yeah it’s not like we are in a pandemic and people might need a few days to round up the money for something that means something to them. Good grief.

• Options
    edited January 20, 2021 5:35PM

@TheCardShap said:
    Yeah it’s not like we are in a pandemic and people might need a few days to round up the money for something that means something to them. Good grief.

Then round up the money before you buy it! And at least respond to the message when asking for payment after a few days!

And it don't cost anything to respond to multiple messages. Anytime someone asks, my wife ALWAYS gives a little grace when the buyer wants to pay.

Nice 6th post!

Shane

• Options
    edited January 20, 2021 5:31PM

Wow, that was exhilarating! I don't think I have had a cross word on these boards in 15 years....literally!

Shane

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@frankhardy said:

@TheCardShap said:

Then round up the money before you buy it! And at least respond to the message when asking for payment after a few days!

And it don't cost anything to respond to multiple messages. Anytime someone asks, my wife ALWAYS gives a little grace when the buyer wants to pay.

Nice 6th post!

Heading the way of Dustin. B)

• Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

Good grief is right....
    The me-generation, not my fault, even tho I hit Buy you better except my lousy decisions