Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The recent sports card explosion has now reached modern Tennis cards. 2003 Netpro

coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 15, 2021 11:35PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The 2003 Netpro set has exploded the last few months. The set contains the rookie cards of three of the greatest players in history. Seems like a no-brainer. Roger Federer(The Worlds richest athlete), Rafael Nadal, and Serena Williams. The set also contains rookie cards of other popular players as well including Venus Williams, Roddick, Kuerten, Hewitt, Hingis, seles, Kournikova, and others. Some of these cards in high grade are selling for hundreds or thousands of dollars. I believe a Federer card sold for $30,000 recently.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

Comments

• Options
    mrburns443mrburns443 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2021 5:40AM

Picked this one up for around 120$ earlier last year, one just sold on eBay for 600 in the same grade. There are a bunch of different netpro sets, this one is numbered out of 2000.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

This info seems consistently in line with soccer, boxing, and all the other sports that were overdue for a market correction relative to the Big-4 sports. Still surprising to see it increase as quickly as it has though.

Question for you though: What constitutes RC in this context? For example, S.Williams has 6 earlier issues on the master set checklist from 1999-2002, and V.Williams has 11 from 1995-2002. Is this a similar situation as we see with the mistakes on the registry Hockey HOF RC list, where the composition authors have incorrectly included "RCs" of players that are issued 10 years later than what the correct/true examples would be?

• Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

About 10 years ago, I bought 3 cases of the regular NetPro Tennis cards. I paid about $25 a case (12 boxes). Got tired of them never going up, so sold most of them for $5 a box. Still have five left, but see now theyre approaching $80+ a box

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options

@coolstanley said:
    Seems like a no-brainer. Roger Federer(The Worlds richest athlete).

World's 5th richest athlete.
    1 Mayweather
    2 C.Ronaldo
    3 Messi
    4 LeBron
    5 Federer

• Options

@miwlvrn said:

@coolstanley said:

1 Mayweather
    2 C.Ronaldo
    3 Messi
    4 LeBron
    5 Federer

According to forbes Federer is the highest paid athlete.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2020/05/29/roger-federer-on-top-the-swiss-tennis-ace-scores-first-no-1-payday-with-106-million/?sh=4d196be018d9

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@mtcards said:
    About 10 years ago, I bought 3 cases of the regular NetPro Tennis cards. I paid about $25 a case (12 boxes). Got tired of them never going up, so sold most of them for $5 a box. Still have five left, but see now theyre approaching $80+ a box

A regular 2003 case has 10 boxes. And one box has been selling in the $170-$200 range. They've shot up about $100 just in the last 3 weeks.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    Kepper19Kepper19 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

@mtcards said:

I'd be busting those boxes looking for nice examples to send in for grading

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a single first card of anyone that I can see.

• Options

Would you rather have a 1996 SIFK Tiger or 2001 Upper Deck? I think this is an apt comparison, as I wouldn't consider a single one of these RCs, F Beckett.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:
    Would you rather have a 1996 SIFK Tiger or 2001 Upper Deck? I think this is an apt comparison, as I wouldn't consider a single one of these RCs, F Beckett.

1996 SIFK because its worth alot more. But what would you rather have? A 84 Star jordan or 86 Fleer?

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@LarkinCollector said:

1996 SIFK because its worth alot more. But what would you rather have? A 84 Star jordan or 86 Fleer?

84 Star. The day before PSA starts grading it again.

Not an apt comparison, PSA grade both of those I mentioned (and most of the earlier issues of the tennis players).

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

Very undervalued set in general. The possibility of getting a Federer or Serena Williams auto rookie in those boxes.

• Options

@ArtVandelay said:
    Very undervalued set in general. The possibility of getting a Federer or Serena Williams auto rookie in those boxes.

First autos is where I've failed in stacking, and there's legit massive demand from those who are experienced and know what's up.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@coolstanley said:

@LarkinCollector said:

Not an apt comparison, PSA grade both of those I mentioned (and most of the earlier issues of the tennis players).

What earlier issues are there of Nadal or Federer? The only Federer rookie card I know of besides rare stickers is the very rare International 2002 A question of sport.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@coolstanley said:

@LarkinCollector said:

What earlier issues are there of Nadal or Federer? The only Federer rookie card I know of besides rare stickers is the very rare International 2002 A question of sport.

Stickers and rare issues count, don’t they?

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

not to throw this thread off course, but i remember one of the best freebies i've ever got was a pete sampras bccg 10 netpro card, i think. it was definitely a bccg 10. might not have been an '03 card though. still have it somewhere...

• Options

@blurryface said:
    not to throw this thread off course, but i remember one of the best freebies i've ever got was a pete sampras bccg 10 netpro card, i think. it was definitely a bccg 10. might not have been an '03 card though. still have it somewhere...

Hopefully its his rookie 91 netpro. Either one, great card.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@miwlvrn said:

@coolstanley said:

1 Mayweather
    2 C.Ronaldo
    3 Messi
    4 LeBron
    5 Federer

According to forbes Federer is the highest paid athlete.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2020/05/29/roger-federer-on-top-the-swiss-tennis-ace-scores-first-no-1-payday-with-106-million/?sh=4d196be018d9

Correct; my mistake, I had referenced a list of the top total cumulative earnings from 2010 through 2019, instead of highest paid ranking in 2020. Quite the impressive earnings for Federer!

• Options

I personally would consider Federer's 2002 "A Question of Sport" card to be his "rookie card" over the 2003 Netpro cards, but the market will bear out which is the one to get. There's also Federer's oversized 2001 Tennis Magazine oversized cut-out, but that's just too big to be a considered a "card" in my book.

• Options

The 2002 card has sailed for most collectors. Very few in high grade and very expensive.

The magazine example from above is Tennis Magazine plus. I believe that was a Italian magazine.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

Wow, card prices are going crazy. Those that were patient and took good care of their boxes and cases are now being rewarded. I never got into collecting tennis cards, but I think I do have an early Maria Sharapova card that I stored safely. Time to look for it and get it priced.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options

Older tennis is seeing some good increases too. Last Sunday, raw ungraded RC's from the 1976 Americana Munchen set went for $493 for Jimmy Connors and $389 for Martina Navratilova. High graded examples of either would of course go for more, but these prices are much much higher than they had been reaching in other raw sales I'd watched. The Navratilova was approx a 3.5 to 4 if eventually graded, and the Connors would probably get a 6.

• Options

I opened a box of the regular 2003 Netpro. Has 18 packs. I hit four Federer cards and two Serena cards. No Nadal's.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

I can’t believe how much these sell for, since they’re not rookie cards.

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

@DBesse27 said:

The set is full of rookie cards lol.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@DBesse27 said:

But not of Federer or Serena (or Venus).

Yaz Master Set

• Options

@DBesse27 said:

@coolstanley said:

@DBesse27 said:

I guess that's for the market to decide. Like someone else mentioned. Kinda like a 52 Mantle or a 86 fleer Jordan. I think Barry Bonds has something like 20 different rookie cards lol. The set contains Nadal's first card, and Federer's first American made card. And Serena's first mass produced card.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

By no definition is a 52 Mantle a rookie card. It’s his first Topps card and his most significant card. But it’s not a RC.

Yaz Master Set

• Options

@DBesse27 said:
    By no definition is a 52 Mantle a rookie card. It’s his first Topps card and his most significant card. But it’s not a RC.

Same with the 86 Jordan and many other cards. But to many, they are considered rookie cards. Its whatever the market determines.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@DBesse27 said:

Same with the 86 Jordan and many other cards. But to many, they are considered rookie cards. Its whatever the market determines.

No, the market determines value. Not the RC designation.

Yaz Master Set

• Options
    edited January 25, 2021 12:11PM

@coolstanley said:

@DBesse27 said:

@coolstanley said:

@DBesse27 said:

I guess that's for the market to decide. Like someone else mentioned. Kinda like a 52 Mantle or a 86 fleer Jordan. I think Barry Bonds has something like 20 different rookie cards lol. The set contains Nadal's first card, and Federer's first American made card. And Serena's first mass produced card.

Federer is an exception where the 2003 Netpro ones can be considered RC's despite the earlier 2002 Question of Sport one. But as for the list in the OP here, really the only RC's in this set in that group of names is Nadal, Federer, Hewitt, Kuerten. 2003 Netpro is not an RC for any of the others in the list including V.Williams, S.Williams, Seles, Hingis, Roddick or Kournikova.

EtA: Not being RC's certainly does not mean they are not great cards; they are, and it is a significant set.

• Options

@miwlvrn said:

@coolstanley said:

@DBesse27 said:

@coolstanley said:

@DBesse27 said:

Federer is an exception where the 2003 Netpro ones can be considered RC's despite the earlier 2002 Question of Sport one. But as for the list in the OP here, really the only RC's in this set in that group of names is Nadal, Federer, Hewitt, Kuerten. 2003 Netpro is not an RC for any of the others in the list including V.Williams, S.Williams, Seles, Hingis, Roddick or Kournikova.

EtA: Not being RC's certainly does not mean they are not great cards; they are, and it is a significant set.

Why is the 2003 Federer Netpro card an exception and considered a “RC” if his 2002 Question of Sport card came out a year before?

• Options

@miwlvrn said:

@coolstanley said:

@DBesse27 said:

@coolstanley said:

@DBesse27 said:

When it comes to rookie cards, its all opinions anyway. For example 86 fleer Jordan and 87 OPC Bonds. Not their first cards but people still consider them rookies.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited January 26, 2021 11:13AM

@Illustrious said:

@miwlvrn said:

@coolstanley said:

@DBesse27 said:

@coolstanley said:

@DBesse27 said:

Why is the 2003 Federer Netpro card an exception and considered a “RC” if his 2002 Question of Sport card came out a year before?

I think it is because there is a little bit of a gray area on that one since the QOS cards are produced as a game more than as a card set, and that there do not seem to be any other 2002 examples. If there were other 2002 ones besides QOS, then the 2003 would not get as much acceptance as a Rookie.

It is admittedly a difficult distinction in several cases. The SIFK perforated cards are regularly considered RC's but it seems more of a leap to be able to place similar weight on the 2001 magazine cutout for example.

• Options

The next Grand Slam tournament- The Australian Open starts in two weeks. Then the French Open starts around Memorial day and Nadal will once again be the heavy favorite to win it. If he does, then he will be the all-time king at 21 Majors. Right now, him and Federer are tied at 20.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-Netpro-Tennis-Box-Factory-Sealed/174605198515?hash=item28a747e4b3:g:RkYAAOSwZ1RgB2e4

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Hi There. You can't forget a couple other cards of Roger Federer which I do believe could be considered rookie cards. The 2003 Stadion Card and the 2001 ATP Champions Race Cards

• Options

I am not surprised Tennis is doing so well. Now that NFL is flag football with skirted QB's, and MLB is doing its best to longer be baseball, Tennis should do very well.

• Options

@Chargers49ersLakers said:
    I am not surprised Tennis is doing so well. Now that NFL is flag football with skirted QB's, and MLB is doing its best to longer be baseball, Tennis should do very well.

I'm not surprised at all either. Tennis is very popular internationally.

Ignore list -Basebal21