Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Classic Commems on the rise?

ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

Watching the auction at Heritage tonight and from my view they sure look to be.

Comments

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you telling me there IS a bottom? Hallelujah!

• Options
    Panda4456Panda4456 Posts: 362 ✭✭✭

I would love to start collecting them but I don’t have the funds

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Panda4456 said:

Many of them aren’t very expensive.

What range are you looking in?

• Options

@Zoins said:

@Panda4456 said:

I can afford coins that are 10-20 dollars lol! I am not a millionaire like most of the people on here I’m young and just starting out.

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crap I completely forgot. Was watching about a dozen 😖

Looking for a nice Delaware in an OGH.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options

@AlanLastufka said:

@Panda4456 said:

@Zoins said:

@Panda4456 said:

I can afford coins that are 10-20 dollars lol! I am not a millionaire like most of the people on here I’m young and just starting out.

Instead of buying ten $20 coins, buy one $200 coin with the same money. Quality over quantity will win out in the end.

Good point but I’d rather have 4 ms63 common date Morgan’s than one 200 dollar coin

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Panda4456 said:

@AlanLastufka said:

@Panda4456 said:

@Zoins said:

@Panda4456 said:

Instead of buying ten $20 coins, buy one $200 coin with the same money. Quality over quantity will win out in the end.

Good point but I’d rather have 4 ms63 common date Morgan’s than one 200 dollar coin

Tastes and budgets evolve. No telling what you'll be interested in and capable of buying 5 years from now.

• Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

@ironmanl63 said:

Most of the commems in the HA auction were very attractive and went for strong money. One in particular-that I got blown out on-hammered for over twice what it hammered for less than one year ago. I mistakenly thought with the so-called weak market I might score it for the same money it sold for in 2020. Nice for the grade commems have been fairly strong all along.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sell a lot of commems. They do seem to have been stronger during the last year. But I'm not sure that has anything to do with commems as collectibles in general have been on a tear during the pandemic. I would hesitate to draw any conclusions about coins or sports cards or anything else right now.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

• Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old green holders and rattlers are easy to sell for decent money if the coin has "original" surfaces or a sticker or a little attractive toning.
    The monster color coins are still commanding large premiums.

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    RedStormRedStorm Posts: 221 ✭✭✭

@Panda4456 said:

@Zoins said:

@Panda4456 said:

When I first started collecting many (many) years ago, 20 bucks was about tops for me too for coin purchasing. And for commems, my first one, probably like many young collectors, was a circulated Colombian half. And you can still pick up one of those and several other common issues in circulated condition for 20 bucks or so. Those first few circulated commemorative purchases I made—a Columbian, a Stone Mountain, a Monroe, and a BTW—sparked a life-long interest in these coins. Don’t worry about starting small!

• Options

@RedStorm said:

@Panda4456 said:

@Zoins said:

@Panda4456 said:

When I first started collecting many (many) years ago, 20 bucks was about tops for me too for coin purchasing. And for commems, my first one, probably like many young collectors, was a circulated Colombian half. And you can still pick up one of those and several other common issues in circulated condition for 20 bucks or so. Those first few circulated commemorative purchases I made—a Columbian, a Stone Mountain, a Monroe, and a BTW—sparked a life-long interest in these coins. Don’t worry about starting small!

I still hate to pay more than $50 for any coin that I'm going to keep.

One of the reasons, maybe the main reason that I started dealing part-time was so that I could buy 4 figure coins but not have to keep them. I still rarely buy 5 figure coins.

Like most collectors I feel a compulsion to buy/accumulate/hoard but then I end up with a safe full of stuff that I rarely look at. As a "dealer", by the time I'm bored looking at it it's gone and I don't have piles of expensive stuff locked in the safe.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2021 12:32PM

I followed/bid on only two lots, and the prices were STRONG. When there's a coin I want, I generally bid strong. As a result, I am the high bidder on about 85% or so of the lots I place bids on. The results of my costs are normally "fair" prices, occasionally a bargain, and sometimes "overpaying", but I'm ok with that, since I never bid moon money.

Last night I got just one of the two lots, with the high bid on the lot I did not obtain a bit more than 25% higher than my max bid. I was not the underbidder, and no one but the high bidder knows the max bid that bidder placed.

For those that followed that auction, your thoughts on the final pricing of lots? Naturally, due to there being over 1,000 lots, I'm sure there was variability. If indeed the "eye appealing' lots mainly had strong bids, that's terrific for this often overlooked series by others in our hobby, as others seem to "poo -poo" Classic Silver Commems due to so called continually dropping prices and low collector demand. To me, pricing seems to have been steady and even slightly increasing over the past couple of years, especially for coins with nice eye appeal and CAC's.

Your thoughts?

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options

@winesteven said:
    For those that followed that auction, your thoughts on the final pricing of lots? Naturally, due to there being over 1,000 lots, I'm sure there was variability.

What was the auction?

• Options
    edited January 16, 2021 12:29PM

@Zoins said:

@winesteven said:
    For those that followed that auction, your thoughts on the final pricing of lots? Naturally, due to there being over 1,000 lots, I'm sure there was variability.

What was the auction?

Last night Heritage had a single subject auction of over 1,000 Classic Commems

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Commems are driven largely by plastic and a sticker. When there is a return to what matters which is the look, history and design, there should be a reason to acknowledge that there is a bottom for commems worth owning

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    edited January 16, 2021 12:50PM

Not seeing the coins in hand is a bummer. I bought quite a few coins last night. Some I loved and maybe stretched a little. I got blown out of the water on more than a few! And a couple I bought because I thought that the coin was under graded or a really fair price for the coin. When I receive the coins I will post how they look in hand and if I did OK.

• Options
    edited January 16, 2021 12:56PM

@winesteven said:
    I followed/bid on only two lots, and the prices were STRONG. When there's a coin I want, I generally bid strong. As a result, I am the high bidder on about 85% or so of the lots I place bids on. The results of my costs are normally "fair" prices, occasionally a bargain, and sometimes "overpaying", but I'm ok with that, since I never bid moon money.

Last night I got just one of the two lots, with the high bid on the lot I did not obtain a bit more than 25% higher than my max bid. I was not the underbidder, and no one but the high bidder knows the max bid that bidder placed.

For those that followed that auction, your thoughts on the final pricing of lots? Naturally, due to there being over 1,000 lots, I'm sure there was variability. If indeed the "eye appealing' lots mainly had strong bids, that's terrific for this often overlooked series by others in our hobby, as others seem to "poo -poo" Classic Silver Commems due to so called continually dropping prices and low collector demand. To me, pricing seems to have been steady and even slightly increasing over the past couple of years, especially for coins with nice eye appeal and CAC's.

Your thoughts?

I am relatively new to collecting commems. I thought the final pricing was very strong. I am not a dealer and have been collecting them a short time so my opinion may not align with others.

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlanLastufka said:

@Panda4456 said:

@Zoins said:

@Panda4456 said:

On that note -- you don't necessarily have to approach classic commemoratives in a way that requires all of them, or the most expensive ones. Are there eight or ten of them that strongly appeal to you because of design, personal connection to the subject, geography, or any other reason? Make that your set. There are lots of them where $300 or less will get you a really nice looking example. Not a millionaire here either, mid-career public school teacher, but if you plan and keep your powder dry waiting for the items you're really after, you can get some of them.

mirabela
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2021 1:15PM

@winesteven said:

@Zoins said:

@winesteven said:

What was the auction?

Last night Heritage had a single subject auction of over 1,000 Classic Commems

Good to know. Heritage has this one which is ending in 5 days.

Wonder how it will do compared to previous sale by Legend. At PCGS SP67+, this is a POP 15(4)/1

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    :)

:blush:

• Options
    TheMayorTheMayor Posts: 221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2021 8:40PM

@batumi said:

@ironmanl63 said:

Most of the commems in the HA auction were very attractive and went for strong money. One in particular-that I got blown out on-hammered for over twice what it hammered for less than one year ago. I mistakenly thought with the so-called weak market I might score it for the same money it sold for in 2020. Nice for the grade commems have been fairly strong all along.

Are you referring to the MS67 Boone? I had some interest in that lot but ended up deciding to sit this one out. Sold for $780 in March 2020 and $1680 in this auction. I suppose coins were not at the forefront of people's minds last March when everything was starting to get crazy.

• Options
    FishproFishpro Posts: 381 ✭✭✭

There was an Oregon, not sure of the date with great color, went for 9K.

• Options
    TheMayorTheMayor Posts: 221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2021 7:20AM

@Fishpro said:
    There was an Oregon, not sure of the date with great color, went for 9K.

Wow, here it is. Nice coin but that is quite a price. It is the 5th highest of the date and type ever sold at Heritage behind 3 PCGS MS68s and an NGC MS68* and ahead of a few other MS68s.

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Classic commems are definitely not on the rise. The ‘special’ ones sold for strong money like all special coins in any type/series do. But the market for the majority non-special commems is weak as always.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are definitely undervalued.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:

I don’t think so. I’ve been on this forum for almost 18 years. Every one of those years there are always a couple of threads, “are classic commems finally making a comeback?” ...... (yawn) (eye roll)

Nope.

Negative.

Zero chance.

Better off investing in circulated Ike’s !

🤓😈

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:

They were overvalued in the 1980s and the market for them crashed. They aren't undervalued as they've been in a decades long decline.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

a single auction of a specific group of coins doesn't represent the market for the entire series. B)

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a snapshot at a point time that reflects what collectors are willing to pay. And coins at the high end of the grading spectrum are also not representative of an entire series... just merely a segment of the surviving population.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

I will reiterate the two points I made previously:

1. Commems have been stronger all year, it's not just this auction. My inventory of commems has been cut in half due to strong sales and rising costs to reacquire.
    2. Because of the entire collectibles market being strong, it is not clear that this is a permanent sea change rather than just a temporary tsunami.
  • Options

Because I have only been watching them for about 5 years that is basically the time frame I am dealing with. Reading all the posts of how they have been falling forever does not jive with what I have seen. Over the short time period my feeling is they have been level to rising. Not just the best of the best but the series in general. This auction (and not only this 1 auction) only solidifies my feelings on the series. I am hopeful the trend continues.

I totally get that this is a small window and others are sour on the series. In ten years I may feel the same way. For now I am enjoying learning the series and finding great pieces.

Do any of you long term collectors of the series feel the trend I am seeing will continue?

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Undervalued doesn't mean at the bottom. When you compare mintages, survivor quantities and conditions, the commem series is definitely underpriced. Everything goes in cycles. When people start to realize how few there are, they will be the fastest rising series in the U.S. coins.

thefinn
  • Options

@Crypto said:
    Money is getting cheaper so prices going up isn’t always the same as prices rising

Inflation is running about 1% to 2%, so I don't think that comes into play for the past couple of years.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coins in the auction weren't exactly ordinary commems. It's not a surprise to me that they did well.

• Options

@BryceM said:
    The coins in the auction weren't exactly ordinary commems. It's not a surprise to me that they did well.

Perhaps they were not "ordinary" because they had nice eye appeal? I bought a "common" 1935-S San Diego commem graded just MS66 by PCGS w/CAC. Blast white, NO toning. My max bid was very strong ($220 hammer) and i was surprised that's what it actually took for me to get that coin ($264 with b.p.). I lost out on a Lynchburg PCGS MS66+ w/CAC, also mostly blast white, that sold for $552 with the bp. Other than "nice" eye appeal, both of these sold for a lot more than other recent auctions in the same grade, also with CAC's. These two coins that I tracked were not exceptions, in my opinion. My sense is most of the lots with nice eye appeal had strong prices realized.

• Options

@keets said:
    a single auction of a specific group of coins doesn't represent the market for the entire series. B)

How specific is a group of over 1000 coins? How would you define this group and was there sub groups?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file